Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,561 times

Advertisements

First allow me to say what a wonderful and informative website.

My wife was offered a contract at "King's Daughters Hospital" and if she signs it, we will be moving to Ashland in July 2010 (from Va Beach, Virginia). My daughter will be going into 9th grade and we have been looking at Russell High School. Any thoughts on Russell High School?

In addition, for those living in the Ashland area, where do you go to see concerts, plays, etc. (Lexington, Cincy, Huntington, etc.)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 AM

6,445 posts, read 9,801,932 times
Ashland has a downtown theater that attacts some of the older musicians/artists. Most concerts you would go to lexington, sometimes Huntington or Charleston.

You don't have to limit yourself to Ashland, living in Huntington is a very short drive, also Ohio is just minutes away as well. If you want more rural you can find places in Grayson or Olive Hill and still be less than 30 minutes away.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM

Thank you for the info. I should have mentioned that my wife has to live extremely close to the hospital since she will be "on call" quite a bit, so we pretty much have to live in Ashland.

Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 AM

6,445 posts, read 9,801,932 times
When you go there to visit you will see parts of Ohio are just as close as some parts of Ashland, not trying to disuade you from Ashland, just letting you know there are options there.

Overall I think it is a nice place. I don't live there now, but met my wife when I was there and go back often.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshutch View Post
First allow me to say what a wonderful and informative website.

My wife was offered a contract at "King's Daughters Hospital" and if she signs it, we will be moving to Ashland in July 2010 (from Va Beach, Virginia). My daughter will be going into 9th grade and we have been looking at Russell High School. Any thoughts on Russell High School?

In addition, for those living in the Ashland area, where do you go to see concerts, plays, etc. (Lexington, Cincy, Huntington, etc.)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Culture shock, culture shock, CULTURE SHOCK!!!

If you like Virginia Beach, I don't think you will like Ashland. SERIOUSLY. I lived in Ashland on and off for nearly 3 years. As a matter of fact, my wife was an LPN at KDMC. I drove a gasoline truck out of the Marathon refinery in Catlettsburg (just south of Ashland).I would highly suggest that you go up there (Ashland) for a one week vacation FIRST before signing that contract. You NEED to see what you are getting yourself into.

When I lived in Ashland, most of my time was spent in Columbus, Cincy, Huntington, Lexington, and Louisville. Ashland itself is Podunksville with a capital "P". The good news about Ashland is there's no such thing as rush hour traffic. Also, the town is VERY cheap to live in. You and your wife should save more $$$$ in Ashland than you do now in VB.

Also, if you don't have an all-wheel-drive vehicle, GET ONE!!! Due to the dense hills in Ashland, it doesn't take much snow to make a road impossible to pass. You could get a cheap pre-owned all-wheel-drive for under $10K. (just something to help your wife get to work during bad weather; nothing too fancy).

As for where to live, I would highly suggest Providence Hill. These apartments are only 4 or 5 years old at best. They are also BY FAR your best looking rentals in Ashland. They offer AMAZING views of the Ohio river IMO.

If you need more info on the good, bad, and the ugly on Ashland, let me know. I'll be happy to help!

Also, here is a video my wife shot of our favorite little hangout spot in Huntington (Pullman Square area in Downtown). Huntington is only 20 minutes from KDMC. I would highly suggest you guys look into Huntington for nice places to buy or rent.

YouTube - Urban Huntington

Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Urbancharlotte,

Thanks a ton for the info. I know exactly what you mean about culture shock.

I was actually born and raised in Huntington (graduated from Marshall in the late 80s), but my main concern was about the high schools in Ashland (specifically Russell High School).

I've got a feeling that if my wife does sign the contract, I will be doing a lot of driving to Cincy, Lexington, Dayton, etc....

Again, thanks so much for the info.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshutch View Post
Urbancharlotte,

Thanks a ton for the info. I know exactly what you mean about culture shock.

I was actually born and raised in Huntington (graduated from Marshall in the late 80s), but my main concern was about the high schools in Ashland (specifically Russell High School).

I've got a feeling that if my wife does sign the contract, I will be doing a lot of driving to Cincy, Lexington, Dayton, etc....

Again, thanks so much for the info.
Oh, ok! For some strange reason, "THE" High School to go to there is Boyd County High. I don't know why (actually I do, but I don't wish to offend anyone).

Anyways, Boyd County is the locally preferred High School by both parents and students. Being that you grew up in Huntington (and are willing to go back) tells me that you should not have ANY problems my friend. I just thought you were a "virgin" to the area and had NO CLUE what you were getting yourself into. I hope your wife knows the area well and likes it there. My wife grew up in Greenup, Kentucky and she doesn't even like going back to visit (let alone live there). She has met 3 of her friends from high school down here in Charlotte (small World huh?).

Seems like everyone born and raised in that region leaves that region. The only folks that stay are the ones that worship that place like it is some temple or something (I think you know what I mean). There seems to be a subtle hatred (or ignorance) for anything that is not like the Tri-state area (or anyone that does not think like folks from the Tri-state area). I thought about returing myself one day (I am not from there). However, I end up changing my mind every time I visit.

The natural beauty of that region is unmatched IMO. That is the one thing I miss about Ashland. I also LOVED my job up there much better than my current job in Charlotte. My co-workers and boss in Ashland were a heck of a lot friendlier than the knuckleheads I have to deal with here.

For me, Ashland (the city and region itself) just didn't cut it. I hope this doesn't offend anyone (really I don't) but I think I would have liked Ashland better if I wasn't a black male. I think my wife (white) would have liked Ashland better if she did not marry a black male. Again, I DO NOT wish to offend ANYONE that is reading this. However, that is my honest opinion of the general Ashland area.

To the OP, I would highly suggest you and your wife not go to Ashland if you are a "mixed race" couple. You won't be the only such couple there. However, there are soooooo many other areas of the country where interacial dating is more of the "norm". I am only saying all of this so the OP can further understand why I did not like Ashland. My perspective is somewhat unique.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

34 posts, read 70,931 times
i know this is an old thread but what are you talking about ^ boyd county is terrible compared to russell high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky