Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times

Advertisements

Highway 80 Project Downsized In Calloway County - NewsChannel 6 WPSD (http://www.wpsdtv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1832e3f2-9fa6-4919-bb1e-736590b4c914 - broken link)

Read the update and have a good belly laugh. From Bowling Green heading west, this is what 68/80 will look like:

From BG to Cadiz, four lane
From Cadiz to LBL, two lane
LBL, two lane (work underway to four lane it)
From Aurora to Murray, four lane
From Murray to Brinn Road in Calloway County, dirt
From Brinn Road to Coldwater, brand new TWO LANE
From Coldwater to Mayfield, four lane

Another great job from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I really like the dirt part. Excellent job in not confusing tourists who may want to use the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
It seems as if the Paducah area gets "left out" compared to most other areas in the state. I doubt this would fly in the triangle...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM

We are seriously considering moving 6 miles south over the Tennessee line just so I don't have to pay anymore taxes to a state that makes messes such as 68/80.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Should have left Ky. 80 going through Hardin and Brewers.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Another "Only in Kentucky" story...

Former Gov Wallace Wilkenson got the state to redue the entire stretch of US 127 through all of Kentucky... except for his home of Casey County. Land owners along it in CC got him to not to cut through their land. The only stretches that were redid were along a large hillside.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Well everyone knows you need a 4 lane to the Coldwater metropolitan area, from there most people check the subway to the other local metro areas such as Tri City and Kirksey.

I read that story today and asked "Why did they even start building it if they could afford to finish it?", the road to no where.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 PM

149 posts, read 764,228 times
Huh? I dont get it.... Y'all sayin ye want long blank stretches of 4 lane hwy to increase 'tourist traffic? Meanwhile rte 68 from Glasgow/Edmonton to Lexington, unmolested and unimproved 2 lanes, easily one of the most beautiful drives anybody can take.

The only good thing about major highways is they relieve pressure from civilized country road, says me. Otherwise strikes me a curse to anybody doomed to drive em everyday.

But y'all know my perspective on growth, development and runaway citification overpopulation. Sometime its like everything that matters to me about country values doesnt fit rest of this board.

Heck, the economy aint exactly smokin and everybody's gettin clobbered who relies on transportation. Bein a former truck driver am aware of this. Does road widening and expansion fit current economic trends? Can see where Paducah wants Mayfield and Murray folks visiting em more often. But if if it's an issue of makin it easier for commuters to git to work then maybe an intra-city busline during rush hours would fit the bill better.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Another problem on all the clearing and construction on 80 through the LBL. My wife subscribes to a newsletter of people whose families were those that were made to leave their land in the area. Seems that part of the road construction has come to a halt because of an endangered species of bat in the construction area.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Another problem on all the clearing and construction on 80 through the LBL. My wife subscribes to a newsletter of people whose families were those that were made to leave their land in the area. Seems that part of the road construction has come to a halt because of an endangered species of bat in the construction area.
That wouldn't suprise me about the bat. They wonder why no one is moving to KY, especially Western KY. This state is bass-ackwards in just about all lines of thinking. But hey...we will still vote for the same losers because people in this state are sorely afraid of change. I am suprised we have cable television here.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
That wouldn't suprise me about the bat. They wonder why no one is moving to KY, especially Western KY. This state is bass-ackwards in just about all lines of thinking. But hey...we will still vote for the same losers because people in this state are sorely afraid of change. I am suprised we have cable television here.
Hmm, Kentucky's population is growing quite a bit.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky