U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM

175 posts, read 169,662 times

Advertisements

I had also heard that there was a sizeable herd (if that's the right word) of wild hogs, and they could be hunted year round. Are they aggressive like the pecary are?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,640,207 times
Ok, I will take your word for it, there are not mountain lions or cougars in Eastern Ky. I don't know what I saw other than it was a large cat-50-70 lbs , tan in color. Why should I feel obligated to kill it? I did not exit my vehicle, nor did I pose a threat to it. The cat simply watched me to see if I was a threat, then ignored me.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 AM

9,627 posts, read 7,629,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
I had also heard that there was a sizeable herd (if that's the right word) of wild hogs, and they could be hunted year round. Are they aggressive like the pecary are?

I have not heard about any wild hogs in Kentucky, though they are certainly in the Great Smokies of Tennessee and North Carolina, and cause many problems there. They are not native to this country, but were introduced from Europe by would-be big game hunters, then escaped their enclosure, many decades ago.

Check with Kentucky's wildlife (aka fish and game) department for more accurate information.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 8,315 times
Bobcats are everywhere and are no danger at all to humans. We see dozens a year on our farm in Fleming County. Mountain Lions are without a doubt in Kentucky. My neighbor spotted a black panther just aweek ago in Lewis County. To many sightings for them to not be around. Probably were originally pets but this was once their home range so it would not at all surprise me if there was a small breeding population. I also think many people dont realize how many bears are out there. While the hu ting season is showing growing numbers in the far eastern counties, dint be surprised to see a season in another 20 counties within the next 10 to 15 years. There are countless sightings every year in Fleming. Spotted a mom and two cubs about ten years ago on our property. Also had a hog killed nearby a couple years ago.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 8,227 times
Default Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse63 View Post
LOL, virtually everyone in the country, even in Greenup County, has a cell phone with a camera on it, and yet with all of these "cougar" and "black panther" sightings, no one has ever come up with a photo of one. There are loads of trail cameras scattered all over the state, including Greenup county, and all of them are on trails used by deer, the number one food source for panthers/cougars/catamounts, etc., and yet again, no one has a picture, not even one, of a panther traipsing along a trail looking for a deer for dinner. Once again, just a few weeks ago, we had several "cougar" sightings, all within the Ashland city limits, and upon investigating the sightings, it was confirmed that the "cougar" was a large bobcat. I am guessing that maybe the cougars in this area all feed on pink elephants, and, like the pink elephants, are only visible when one has been consuming an adequate quantity of malted beverages. However, as I recall, since they are not recognized to exist in the state, the DNR does not protect them, which means you can feel free to shoot one (the cougars, I mean, not the elephants), should you see it, especially if you have safety concerns.
Attachment 117776
I live in a wooded area, I hunt and fish regularly and am in the woods during the daytime, during the night, and during the twilight hours. I have deer all over my property as do my friends and neighbors, and yet I have not seen anything bigger than a bobcat, nor have I seen any large feline tracks in any of the places that I have traipsed around while hunting. (Including MANY remote properties in Greenup county). Basically, I suspect that we "see" what we expect to see most of the
time in these situations, regardless of what is actually there.

Finally, although I am firmly in the "non-believer" camp with regard to cougars in Kentucky, the part of this post regarding pink elephants and such was mostly written with tongue-in-cheek and I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.

I have always been a skeptic of these big cats being here, but I have seen a few photos that make me wonder. Many people in KY don't ever see a bob cat but they are here we know they are. These creatures are very very illusive that is why I think many people don't see them like a bobcat. We never thought there would be a grey wild in KY but one was unfortunately killed we have a lot coyotes you see them every where but not a wolf but one was sadly killed. Some one in the blain ky area posted a photo of a cougar on a public forum and it was taken by a cell phone I'm not sure how to add the photo but I would love to post it. There are many many sightings being seen of these cats and I know there are actually a protective order on them in ky as well as a site to post for sightings with the ky fish and wildlife.
A cat of any kind if they don't want to be seen they usually aren't they are amazing hunters and the reason why is because of their ability to camouflage them self. I'm out in the woods alot and fish alot I've been ran off from a couple fishing holes more than once by some thing letting out a roar/growl that would send chills up your spine! So now I pack a gun even when fishing.

All in all I think it's very possible for their to be cougers and panthers in the area I think sightings are being seen a lot more these days simply because their environment is being taken over by humans. People are building new homes in more secluded locations than ever befor they are being pushed out. How they are getting here I do think a lot were pets at one time and when they got big people decided they didn't want them any longer and they turn them loose and when this happens they can multiply. You know we live in KY and who would have ever thought you would see an alligator in a river but it happened in the KY river many years back when the wildlife dept was called they thought it was a prank but it wasn't it was captured and was all over the news. It was some ones pet that some one just turned loose so why can it not happen with a cougar or panther? Its very much so possible in my opinion I was finally able to upload the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Lions/ Cougars back in Kentucky!-image.jpg  

Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,372,463 times
Welcome to C-D, Kygal!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,990 times
Default black panther in Indiana

I think it was about 1962, we lived in the country on top of this big hill, one night mom heard our black cat throwing a fit, screaming. We had a yellow light bulb on the porch and made it hard to see but there was a black panther carrying our cat away, Blackie was screaming and clawing at it. That poor cat ran in the house and hid behind our corner cabinet for like 2 wks, would not come out. It only had some scars across it's nose. No one would believe us but a farmer across the river said he found some large cat prints. Kids at school always thought we were crazy anyways, we were always seeing weird stuff LOL......

Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 18,394 times
Just this summer my son saw a black panther crossing 274 towards the shores of Lake Barkley here in Trigg County. I was out in my boat fishing last spring when a tan cougar came down to the lake and got a drink of water. He had to have been at least six foot from nose to tip of tail and at least 95 to 100 pounds. I do know what they look like as I lived in New Mexico for 30 years and saw at least 90 during that time.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,921 times
Default Mountain Lions in Kentucky?

I was stalked by a large golden mountain lion while on my run near the military housing area outside of Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1992. When I first saw the bright eyes, I thought it was a cat sitting on the post but later realized the eyes were too far apart. After I passed the wooded area and turned toward main post, I looked to my left and the mountain lion was walking at my pace and looking right at me. I waved down the first car I saw and went home. I reported this to the forestry department and was told they had not seen a mountain lion in the area in over 10 years and doubted that was what I saw. Less than three months later my 11 year old daughter saw a black panther like animal in the bushes near one of the housing units.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,628,458 times
My late grandfather was featured in a hunting magazine article in the early 80s about his sighting. It was an article about a resurgance of sightings of panthers in western Kentucky.

My grandfather was down in some bottoms near Knottsville Kentucky east of Owensboro when he watched what he called a huge wildcat flush a coon out of the treeline of the woods along a freshly tilled bottom as it was spring. He said it was bigger than a large dog, uniform dark in color and had huge paws.

Hes an experienced coon and Fox hunter and was born and raised in the hills of Kentucky and had seen and treed Bobcats on a few occasions and he said this big cat was much bigger and different than Bobcats that he'd seen. Anyways, he was interviewed and featured in an article in what I believe was maybe "Kentucky Afield" magazine at the time.

I've also heard of Panther signtings south of Owensboro in some wooded bottoms that some folks call "Jacksons Flats" nor far from Utica Kentucky and the Daviess/McLean County line.

Also a while back my uncle saw a young black bear ( he called it a honey bear ) in LBL one fall day. Yet, wildlife folks say their arent any black bears there, but I also know my uncle to be a very truthful person, he doesnt lie and said he caught a quick flimpse of it as it was running away from him, clear as day.

Its possible Black Bear coould come through that country once in a while, and why not wildcats also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky