U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,697,276 times

Advertisements

Just for the record, bobcats (aka wildcats) are shy, nocturnal animals who will avoid people if they possibly can. Their diet is mainly small mammals and birds.

So enjoy the sightings of possible bobcat tracks, but don't be too scared to enjoy the woods as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times
Exclamation To therickster

Hey Rick I know this is a long shot considering you posted 5 years ago but I also hunt Lewis county and wondered if you found the cat you were looking for because we are having the same issue this cat I found is close to 6inches in diameter kinda chilling how big it is but never have had the chance to see it in person

Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times
I'm sorry I ment cat paw prints I found lol

Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,697,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevans View Post
I'm sorry I ment cat paw prints I found lol
Glad you clarified, as my own cat is considerably more six inches in diameter!

Now, six-inch cat tracks are something else entirely. I take it there were no claw marks present? Canine and feline tracks resemble each other a lot, but cats have retractable claws...

Old 05-28-2013, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
Default black cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekdx View Post
a black panther and a brown cougar was spotted one month apart at two different locations of about a mile apart from several people in earlington ky last sighting was 12-28-09
Despite anecdotes to the contrary, all-black coloring (melanism) has never been documented in cougars.The term "black panther" is used colloquially to refer to melanistic individuals of other species, particularly jaguars and leopards.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,658 times
You would look up on a cliff and they would just be staring down at you.http://meron.gcapc.com/6.jpghttp://meron.gcapc.com/7.jpghttp://meron.gcapc.com/8.jpghttp://meron.gcapc.com/9.jpg

Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grettastone View Post
If I had been holding a camra in the ready to shoot position about 4 years ago,while driveing through the Danial Boone Forest in Whitley Co.I possibly might have been able to snap a photo of a Mountain Lion,Couger,Panther or whatever they should be listed as.Around 125 to 150 ft. straight in front of us on a Main gravel road in the forest we saw a Big Cat dart across the road from one side to the other.He never slowed down,never paused or asked us if we would like for him or her to smile and say cheese.The cats long,thick tail was nearly as long as the body it was in a taunt position a foot or two off the ground.The cat seemed to be dark brown in color and rather large,but our guess was that it was not full grown.The largest dog we own is a Ridgeback Curr and weighs around 65-70lb. so in compairson this cat could have been somewhat larger.Usually in our experience's when we least expect it and are totally not prepaired to take a picture of any unique wildlife is when you will run upon something.Even if I were in a position to snap a pic of any meat eating animal while out in the wild if I were on foot and close enough to get a nice clear shot I doubt if that would be at the top of my list of things to do.The Danial Boone IS a wild and mysterious place.My husband and I were raised right next to the D.B.in Whitley Co.and have spent many days and nights there,and Lord willing will spend many more.We have seen and heard many unexplained things there.The deeper you go in the more beautiful it is,but also the danger factor goes up.It truely isnt safe to go entering into the forest to far without guns and dogs.In forest that vast is going to have many kinds of WILDLIFE that is still actually wild and afraid of man,so they probley will be on the move when you see them and not,I repeat not going to stop and chat with you unless there really hungery!Its been fun posting Gretta P.Enjoy the great outdoors,while we still can...

Not a Mountain Lion unless it was an illegal released pet, but I don't believe it was a released pet even. If there were in Mountain Lions in the wild in Kentucky at least one would have showed up on one of the 1000s of trail cams around the state.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Default Not a wild Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevans View Post
Hey Rick I know this is a long shot considering you posted 5 years ago but I also hunt Lewis county and wondered if you found the cat you were looking for because we are having the same issue this cat I found is close to 6inches in diameter kinda chilling how big it is but never have had the chance to see it in person
Not a Mountain Lion unless it was an illegal released pet, but I don't believe it was a released pet even. If there were in Mountain Lions in the wild in Kentucky at least one would have showed up on one of the 1000s of trail cams around the state. If there is one he is hanging with Bigfoot and the Goatman.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I have seen panthers and saw one mountian lion last year, and I do not own a cell phone with a camera. There are bears, wolves, and skunks here. Most of them do not want to be seen, therefore, they do not come around humans. If you are in the woods or a rural area, be aware of what is around you and if you see something remove yourself from the area as soon as possible, but do not run, unless it starts to chase you. However, I have only heard of rare instances of a big cat chasing people. I think it was last year a bear attacked a man in the Red River Gorge area. Supposedly without reason, but the man got several pictures of the bear, so I assume he was busy taking pictures instead of getting out of the area.
There are not any Mountain Lions in Kentucky unless it is an illegal released pet. If there were any Mountain Lions in the wild in Kentucky at least one would have showed up on one of the 1000s of trail cams around the state. Or maybe they are hanging with Bigfoot and Goatman. If you do see a Mountain Lion it is a former pet and you should kill on sight as these animals would be very dangerous since they would not be scared of humans.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Cougars and Mountain Lions are the same animal

There are not any Mountain Lions in Kentucky unless it is an illegal released pet. If there were any Mountain Lions in the wild in Kentucky at least one would have showed up on one of the 1000s of trail cams around the state. Or maybe they are hanging with Bigfoot and Goatman. If you do see a Mountain Lion it is a former pet and you should kill on sight as these animals would be very dangerous since they would not be scared of humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky