Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 19,900 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to move my family that offers a small town feel with the amenities of a larger city near by. Any towns outside of Lousiville or Lexington that would offer progressive education for my kids, a liberal, open-minded population with lots of options for outdoor activities? Does that exist in Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
My picks would be Woodford Co (10 miles from Lex, 50 to Lou.) in the Lexington area and Oldham or Shelby Cos in the Louisville area (5-15 from Lou., 65-45 miles from Lex)

Old 06-22-2008, 02:15 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,367 times
Yeah..I like those areas. BUT, I wouldn't think they were very liberal. I don't live there though so I could wrong for sure. When I think of liberal in Kentucky, I think Louisville. Nothing else really comes to mind, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I haven't been much help, but good luck!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
I see quite a few Gay and interracial couples in Lexington, I even met two such couples in which one spouse was a copper, liberal cops must bespeak a certain liberalness in a town, even if they do have the standard policeman-Freddy Mercury mustache.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I see quite a few Gay and interracial couples in Lexington, I even met two such couples in which one spouse was a copper, liberal cops must bespeak a certain liberalness in a town, even if they do have the standard policeman-Freddy Mercury mustache.
Does Lexington have a large Pride weekend? I agree with the above poster...Louisville is the only liberal area of KY.

Lexington has a few liberals, especially associated with UK, but then again, so does every university town.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Does Lexington have a large Pride weekend? I agree with the above poster...Louisville is the only liberal area of KY.
Lexington has a few liberals, especially associated with UK, but then again, so does every university town.
Well, yes, actually, they do:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2008/06/21/00/39-0621d1banner.standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg (broken link)

This year it is on June 28 at Cheapside Park downtown, and over a thousand people are anticipated. If anyone is interested, there is more info at: http://www.lexpride.com/ and (http://www.lexpride.com/ - broken link)Lexington Fairness

However, to the original poster, I would say that even in the largest urban areas of KY (Louisville, Lexington, N KY) there is still a lot of conservatism and influence from the Bible belt compared to other areas of the country. I think that you can certainly find a liberal niche within any of those metro areas because they are large enough to support a liberal community. However, any of the smaller towns even near those cities will probably seem very conservative to you. For example, Shelbyville and Versailles are nice towns (especially the outlying country) but they are both certainly what I would consider to be primarily conservative. If you are certain that you want a small town in KY, and you're ok without being in a completely "liberal" town, then I would choose a town with a strong college or university influence.

Last edited by nlschr0; 06-22-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Really, there are no suburbs or small towns outside of Louisville that offer what you're looking for. However, Middletown, Jeffersontown, Fern Creek, Highview, and Eastwood are all nice small communities still in Jefferson County that offer small town safety and security. Yet, they are such a close drive to "progressive" this and that in Louisville. There are opps for outdoor activities all over the metro area.

Same deal with Lexington. There's not nearly as much "progressive" education or as many places for outdoor activities in Lexington. There are mountains, gorges and palisades surrounding Lexington, however. Anywho, Berea and Frankfort, about 25-30 miles to the south and northwest, respectively, are probably the most left-leaning small towns in the entire state. Berea is more of a "modern left-wing, environmentally-friendly, highly-educated" community while Frankfort is generally more of a "populist, FDR, older" population, if you will.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Default Louisville versus Lexington comparisons

Why is Louisville cheaper than Lexington?
Lexington, Louisville or Hebron
Louisville and Lexington
Lexington, Louisville make "Greenest Cities" List
Louisville, Lexington, or Cincinnatti
Which is "prettier" Lexington or Louisville?
Where should we live? Lexington, Louisville, small town
Can you be so kind as to tell me how Louisville and Lexington differ and...
Public RAIL in Louisville?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ille+lexington
Lexington or Louisville?

These are just a handful of links that have been started pertaining to Lexington and/or Louisville. Compare the cities for yourself per the views that posters state on this forum.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 61,378 times
[SIZE=2]"Progressive'' Eh? Maybe you ought to consider spending a little more time trying to get over yourself first and then you might be better able to consider where to move in Kentucky of all places
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky