U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,879,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought in KY, many of the Black people in small towns live in the central and western part of the state, with maybe a decent of Blacks in towns in Harlan County, which is in the Southeastern corner of the state. I wonder if there are some other towns in the Eastern part of the state with at least a few Black people in them?
For the most part, yes. Towns that are a little bit larger like Hazard, Pikeville, London and Ashland probably have small AA communities. But like most of Appalachia, Eastern KY is overwhelmingly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,039,360 times
Default Give me a break...

Oh, please.

Let me tell you about "small-town Kentucky."

The other day my husband and I were coming in from a walk and we heard this car coming down the hill, "on one cylinder" my husband said, either that, or on a flat tire...just sort of coasting down the hill, he was.
We kept walking and were about halfway down the driveway when he coasted by.
It tickled me.
In spite of the fact that he was coasting on one cylinder, doing all of about 3 miles an hour, he still threw up his hand and waved at us.
LOL!
It's like that around here............

Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM

631 posts, read 1,666,724 times
Where on earth did you visit in Kentucky? Please open your mind and your eyes when you travel through Kentucky's small towns and you'll see that there are many unique areas. I'm am from a very small town in Kentucky (Leitchfield) and there are charming little towns in that region. Did you go to Glendale? Fabulous antique stores. The town looks like it was plucked out of an Andy Griffth show. Plus there is the Whistle Stop cafe there and every fall the Glendale Days festivle. Then there are the little Amish communities. Outside of Leitchfield are the lakes (Nolin & Rough River). There are some beautiful areas through that region. Outside of Lexington is Fort Harrod and the Perryville Battlefield. Tons of beautiful old homes to see and nice little shops. What about Bardstown, my Old Kentucky Home, the Distilleries??? Did you see any of these? All unique and absolutely gorgeous. Not your run of the mill carbon copy small towns at all.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM

90 posts, read 347,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
No thanks..I'll take the fair skin any day over sun abused leather skin at the age of fifty. That is, if Melanoma doesn't take hold first. So, we have narrowed the diversity question down to fashion and hairstyle..how decidedly metrosexual.
Diversity is everything to me.

I know this is off topic, but I don't know what the attraction to a tan is in my hometown. I would think people would be more attuned to the dangers of skin cancer.

Speaking of gender preference and opening a can of worms, small towns can be a harsh place to be. I have a gay brother and nephew who still haven't come out to most members of the family and moved to larger towns to escape discrimination.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,392,332 times
Funny thread, you see small towns are typically like that because well, they're small.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or