U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM

148 posts, read 568,234 times

Advertisements

I was always interested in visiting Kentucky for most of my life. I loved watching the Kentucky Derby and thought the State was magic because of it. For years I planned a trip there but for some reason it was always delayed. Finally last month I had a chance to see Kentucky from one end to another. What an experience!

Kentucky is a beautiful State but I was shocked how much every town looked exactly the same. We made a special point to drive on only two lane roads and see as many communities as possible. We always tried to find the downtown and eat in local restaurants and talk to local people about their community.

Most people were very nice and happy to talk to us. But what really shocked me was how similar everyone was. I swore I saw and talked to the same person over and over again in the DIFFERENT small towns. Maybe they were clones. They wore the same clothes came from the same ethnic background, talked the same, used the same phrases, and walked the same way.

Has anyone else noticed how similar people are in states like Kentucky especially in the small towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,665,956 times
Well yeah, small town Kentucky is what it is. If you want diversity got to Louisville or Lexington.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times
I am not sure what towns you visited, but there is diversity in the larger cities. The small towns do have many similarities. Kentucky is a rural state and the ethnicity of most of the people and backgrounds are very simliar so that is probably what you noticed.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,896,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not sure what towns you visited, but there is diversity in the larger cities. The small towns do have many similarities. Kentucky is a rural state and the ethnicity of most of the people and backgrounds are very simliar so that is probably what you noticed.
Spot on. Kentucky's small towns can differ greatly from region to region (i.e.: Mississippi River, Pennyrile/Western Coal Field, Green River Lake, Eastern) but within these regions many of these towns are just carbon copies.

If you want to see SOME level of diversity in small Kentucky towns in terms of race, ethnicity, and socioeconomics, Bowling Green, Frankfort, Richmond, Murray, and Pikeville might be good bets. Of course, these are still small towns, each with colleges, and over 85% of the native population will still be Caucasian.

If you're from one of the east coast's largest urbanities, Louisville and Lexington will still feel like small towns to you in parts. Those are your two truest bets for any level of remarkable diversity in Kentucky. I must say, though, that I've read a few of your posts on the General U.S. Forum and I'm not sure I'd want you living in the same state with me.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-24-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
I don't think you have to drive through KY to come to that conclusion. The same observation is true for every small town in the world. That's why they're called 'small' town you know, they're not exactly crowds magnet! Hence the lack of diversity.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM

148 posts, read 568,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't think you have to drive through KY to come to that conclusion. The same observation is true for every small town in the world. That's why they're called 'small' town you know, they're not exactly crowds magnet! Hence the lack of diversity.
I disagree. Now I have been to most US States and found more similarities of people in KY than anywhere else. Clones?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I disagree. Now I have been to most US States and found more similarities of people in KY than anywhere else. Clones?
You caught us, we just clone one or two hillbillies over and over and the plant them in the small Kentucky towns. We like it that way cause then you know what your going to get.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,455 times
Quote:
I was always interested in visiting Kentucky for most of my life. I loved watching the Kentucky Derby and thought the State was magic because of it. For years I planned a trip there but for some reason it was always delayed. Finally last month I had a chance to see Kentucky from one end to another. What an experience!

Kentucky is a beautiful State but I was shocked how much every town looked exactly the same. We made a special point to drive on only two lane roads and see as many communities as possible. We always tried to find the downtown and eat in local restaurants and talk to local people about their community.

Most people were very nice and happy to talk to us. But what really shocked me was how similar everyone was. I swore I saw and talked to the same person over and over again in the DIFFERENT small towns. Maybe they were clones. They wore the same clothes came from the same ethnic background, talked the same, used the same phrases, and walked the same way.

Has anyone else noticed how similar people are in states like Kentucky especially in the small towns?
What towns did you visit? But yes, it is a fairly homogenous state outside of the larger metros. There are some regional differences, as already mentioned here, especially when comparing small towns in Appalachia to the rest of the state.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
I don't understand how as far north and east Kentucky is, that we only have 2 real metro area's in the entire state. Every state bordering KY (except WV) have a great amount of metro's. You would think KY would have more.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,768 times
Quote:

This is a very broad statement. How are similarities between people who live in Kentucky any different from the similarities of people who live in any other part of the us?

ex. people in New York are known for being rude, people from LA a bit fake(not saying they are)

And to counter some of your other statements:

1.People in the same area tend to follow the same fashion trends(no matter how far behind)
2.News flash, the majority of people in small town Kentucky are white.
3.People from the same area often use the same phrases(every heard of a valley girl?).

Also, how far did you travel? Kentucky has a lot of counties each one a bit different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or