U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,677,023 times
Default Kentucky Television Markets

This list suprised me. I never knew that I lived in such a large TV market.

#33 Cincy
#48 Louisville
#64 Lexington
#79 Paducah/Cape/Harrisburg
#183 Bowling Green

I know I must be overlooking the Evansville area on the list. If I am missing someone else in KY, please fill it in.

List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,670,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
This list suprised me. I never knew that I lived in such a large TV market.

#33 Cincy
#48 Louisville
#64 Lexington
#79 Paducah/Cape/Harrisburg
#183 Bowling Green

I know I must be overlooking the Evansville area on the list. If I am missing someone else in KY, please fill it in.

List of television stations in North America by media market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
theres lots of things at play here. It has more to do with geography. Paducah's market probably covers an area of four states that equal the size of the state of KY where as Louisville's market is less than 10% of that geographic area. That is why I always thought TV markets were dumb...Louisville's market is squeezed between Indy and Cincy, for example. Lexington also has a much larger market than its size would dictate because it covers all of southern and eastern KY, a much larger geographical area. It really has more to do with city isolation than anything. It sort of explains how a metro like KC, MO, not all the much wealthier and larger than Louisville, can supoort 3 major pro teams when Louisville has none--its all about isolation.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM

511 posts, read 741,392 times
Here's of link to a map of Television Markets:
TV Market Maps (broken link)

Paducah's market, while larger than Louisville or Lexington's, is a little less than twice as large as Louisville's and slightly larger than Lexington's (I'm guessing 30%). It seems like the rest of the state all but forgets that Paducah even exists. The Paducah market is fairly populous because there are many cities included that are outside of Kentucky. Carbondale, Marion, and Harrisburg, IL are included. Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, MO are included. Those cities' populations start adding up, and I'm obviously leaving off several smaller cities.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM

3,213 posts, read 5,081,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Here's of link to a map of Television Markets:
TV Market Maps (broken link)

Paducah's market, while larger than Louisville or Lexington's, is a little less than twice as large as Louisville's and slightly larger than Lexington's (I'm guessing 30%). It seems like the rest of the state all but forgets that Paducah even exists. The Paducah market is fairly populous because there are many cities included that are outside of Kentucky. Carbondale, Marion, and Harrisburg, IL are included. Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, MO are included. Those cities' populations start adding up, and I'm obviously leaving off several smaller cities.
You've left off Union City, TN and Murray, KY, also.

I didn't realize Paducah's market was so large, either. Not much smaller than Lexington's.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 12,149,088 times
I thought Cincy's market was much larger than 33rd... doesn't it also include Dayton and Springfield?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I thought Cincy's market was much larger than 33rd... doesn't it also include Dayton and Springfield?
Dayton has its own market. Springfield is included in one of them.

Ohio's markets include:
Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Youngstown, Lima (very small and basically a subset of the Toledo and Dayton markets), and Zanesville (very small as well). Ft Wayne, Charleston, WV, and Wheeling, WV also take up some parts of Ohio.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 12,149,088 times
Wilmington is part of the Philadelphia market and it is as close to Philly as Dayton is to Cincy.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,815,077 times
I just noticed Nashville in #30. Nashville covers a lot of southern Kentucky. That's one problem with satellite TV. I'm in Cadiz and for our local package we have all the Nashville stations. Just about the only time a Nashville station mentions something about Ky. it's usually the weather man talking about what's coming their way from here. I emailed Dish Network to see why we can't have Paducah as our local stations. Paducah will at least give news of something happening in this area. Their reply was to ask the CEO that on the "Charlie Chat" program on Monday nights. One of these Mondays I'm going to remember to try to call! lol

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Wilmington is part of the Philadelphia market and it is as close to Philly as Dayton is to Cincy.
But isn't Wilmington culturally very closely related to Philadelphia? Dayton definitely has its own distinct politics and economy when compared to Cincy. And Dayton is a much larger city when compared to Cincy than Wilmington is when compared to Philadelphia.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

204 posts, read 371,827 times
Default Kentucky Television Markets

Kentucky is split between several markets, most of which are border markets (gives CBS fits during basketball season when they try to switch away from a Kentucky game. Suits in New York don't think about the fact that Nashville may not be in Kentucky, but the bulk of Southern Kentucky gets Nashville television. Same for Evansville, Cincinnati, and Huntington/Charleston, WV, which feeds Eastern Kentucky)

Evansville is market #101. I used to sell TV ads in Owensboro, and I remember at the time (about 10 yrs ago) there were almost as many people in the Kentucky side of the market as Indiana. I think it was 40% Kentucky (including O'boro, Henderson and Madisonville) 41% Indiana, and 9% Illinois.

Paducah's market is huge, running from the Missouri boot heel all the way to I-64 in Southern Illinois. It's referred to as Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg as each town had one of the Big Three network afilliates back in the day.

BTW Murray is included in the Paducah/Cape/Harrisburg market. (for a long time, there was no KET station in Paducah, so people in Paducah had to watch PBS from Murray). I think Union City is in P/C/H too.

Bowling Green has its own market, albeit small. I think it's just Warren County and maybe the county with Glasgow (Barren County?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky