U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM

19 posts, read 55,458 times

Advertisements

I am so happy to hear that the quilt show will stay in Paducah. As a long time lover of fabrics and as a quilter, this meant a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:54 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,566,181 times
I can't believe they pulled it off, but they did. There is but one reason why the show is staying; money. The AQS gets a HUGE cut of every hotel room in Paducah during the show week. My guess is Springfield, Mo was not willing to do that.

It will be interesting to see if the Executive Inn actually gets any work done to it. That I will believe when I see it. The city has sold their soul, now let's see if it pays off.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM

6,968 posts, read 12,385,235 times
I was kind of thinking they would stay all along. When you complain and threaten to take your money elsewhere, you'd be surprised to what extremes people will go to to keep you around!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 AM

868 posts, read 1,513,272 times
Long-term, the Shroeders (spelling?) believe Paducah is the best place to host the Quilt Show. The small town atomosphere coupled with the artsy twist that Paducah pulls off goes a long way to making the whole successful. It actually is looking like Singh is getting out of the way. The city called his bluff and refused to pay up for the Executive Inn. All along he planned to swindle some money out of the city, but it looks like he realized the city wasn't going to pay up. He was forced to either improve his facility or lose millions. Getting "Crowne Plaza" to be the signage guarentees that, at least in the beginning, a certain minimum quality is going to be present. Also, with the other proposed hotel downtown there is a backup location for hosting the show beginning in 2010.

Lastly, the Shroeders are from Paducah. They want Paducah to succeed and they know this show means a great deal to the local economy. They know that moving the show long-term would possibly result in the loss of several downtown revitalization projects. In the absence of absolute proof that they will be financially more successful in another city (long-term) they will tend to side with their hometown.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 PM

27,524 posts, read 44,987,445 times
I know nothing about the quilt show or Paducah--was looking for some info on another topic--but how great is it that peoiple will put their money where their hearts are--
I hope the show and Paducah come out ahead
and hope the city makes the hotel guy do what he needs to--they are just tight-fisted...

Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,566,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know nothing about the quilt show or Paducah--was looking for some info on another topic--but how great is it that peoiple will put their money where their hearts are--
I hope the show and Paducah come out ahead
and hope the city makes the hotel guy do what he needs to--they are just tight-fisted...
The hotel owner is finally doing something. They are splitting the Executive Inn into two seperate hotels. The one nearest the convention center will be a Crowne Plaza hotel. The other half will be a Holiday Inn. On the half where the CP will be, they already have majority of the rooms completely gutted. I had major doubts, but I guess they are going to get the job done.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:47 PM

475 posts, read 1,422,322 times
Does anyone know if there is going to be a show in 2010? Many travel agency and trade-fair websites seem to indicate so but the definitive AQS website does not include it in future quilt shows for 2010. TIA

Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
Thumbs up Private Home for Rent during the Quilt Show

I have a home (see www.kylakeloghome.com) that I have rented for 8 years to vacationers to Ky Lake. While it is 25 miles from Paducah, considering the state of the Executive Inn not being available, some folks may not mind being out that distance. I am not sure where they are going to put all the people that come to the Paducah show.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 55,458 times
Default dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
Does anyone know if there is going to be a show in 2010? Many travel agency and trade-fair websites seem to indicate so but the definitive AQS website does not include it in future quilt shows for 2010. TIA
Yes, the web site for AQS says April 21st thru April 24th for 2010. Then April 27th thru the 30th in 2011. And April 25th thru the 28th in 2012.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM

6,968 posts, read 12,385,235 times
Wonder where everybody will stay? The city is getting ready to tear down the Executive Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky