U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 AM

119 posts, read 775,913 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job making around $80,000 in Louisville. Will be moving there this summer with 15-year-old daughter. Then after fiancee retires from Air Force in one year, him and his son to follow.

Where should we live? I am open to Indiana also. I want to find an excellent public high school and safe area to live. Will rent for one year. Then will have about $200,00 to spend on a house.

Also what are the top five colleges in the Kentucky/Indiana area?

Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 01:02 PM

130 posts, read 528,810 times
Congrats...
You can do fine on 80k in Louisville ... especially if keeping your housing down to 200k. I've only looked via the internet (realtor.com) and only have experience driving through a few areas like Hurtbourne, Meadowvale (this looks older but cute). I also liked Prospect.

All things I was looking for were in a slightly larger price range up to 400k... but seemed to be a lot out there.

If you want more country living.. maybe check out the exits just north of Prospect.. off 71 .. I think it's Peewee Valley.. Doesn't take too long to get downtown even in heavy traffic ( I know b/c I seem to leave late in Northern KY and end up in rush hour and have to deal with the Gene Snyder mergers that seems crazy.. and the slow downs at Exit 2 - The water tower exit.. anyhow.. I seem to make it just in the nick of time 1 hours and about 30 minutes from suburb of Cincinnati to downtown Louisville. Not bad if you ask me. I'd say it probably takes 1/2 hour from Prospect to downtown in rush hour...

I have several co-workers that really like Middletown and IN ( I think New Albany).

Are you working downtown? There is an older area on Frankfort Ave right outside of downtown that I've found extremely quiant. One of my clients, American Printing House for Blind is situated in this historic area. I am not sure about crime or house values but it struck me as something I'd want to check out if I moved to Louisville.

Who are you going to work for?

T

Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM

119 posts, read 775,913 times
I'm working for a court reporting firm.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,352 times
hey if your looking for something close to the city but kinda in the country then i suggest simpsonville ky its only 8-10 miles to louisville it would take about 20 to get downtown but its quiet and several nice houses in that price range for rent or to buy in my subdivision

Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 AM

92 posts, read 461,690 times
An excellent public high school in the Southern Indiana suburbs is Floyd Central High School in Floyds Knobs.

Floyds Knobs is an area that is nestled in the hills overlooking Louisville in Floyd County, Indiana. It is very near to New Albany.

Oldham County Schools in Kentucky are also very good. Also, don't completely throw out Jefferson County Schools. While it is a huge school district, it also has some great schools and magnet programs.

In looking for a house, on the Kentucky side the suburbs of St Matthews, Middletown, Jeffersontown, La Grange, and Peewee Valley are all very nice.

St Matthews is an older, inner ring suburb that is very well maintained
Middletown and Jeffersontown are your typical suburban areas
La Grange and Peewee Valley are a little farther out and have a more "small town" or rural character to them.

On the Indiana side, Clarksville, Floyds Knobs, Sellersburg, and Charlestown are all good areas.

Clarksville is an older suburban area with lots of shopping
Floyds Knobs is more exclusive, but the views and setting are amazing
Charlestown and Sellersburg are both a little farther out, they're a little more rural in character, with lots of new subdivisions being built.

It just really depends on what you're looking for exactly.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 AM

850 posts, read 2,898,284 times
Snowflake - you have been given some very good advice by those here on the board. Everything said is very accurate.

It really depend on what you are looking for - subdivision, land, etc.

Do a google search for Louisville Metro - there you will find many links and info to Louisville and what it has to offer, along with info on the schol districts.

You can narrow in on the specific cities and schools mentioned, as I have found most have their own sites, and give detailed info.

Another thing I always suggest is checking the Hihlands area. Older homes in a wonderful, diverse neighborhood - and so many things to do it is amazing. All depends on your preference.

The following is a very nice little site I discovered that gives good info. I think you may find it helpful, and you may contact her for additional info.
http://www.heidiamshoff.com/

Oh, and remember - Jefferson County has an open school system, as does Bullitt and Oldham. Meaning - if you can provide transportation, your child can attend any school, whether in your district or not. This way, if you prefer a magnet school or traditional school, you may search it out at http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/ - and find a school right for the kids. Take into account what your kids are interestd in. If your fiance's child is interested in the Military, Jefferstown (j-town) has an EXCELLENT JROTC program - and the school is top notch. J-town is minutes from downtown via the expressway system, and is an 'old' city with many amenities. Would be one of my top picks if relocating right now.

You may actually want to begin your search this way, and center your housing around that, which is the approach I have taken in the past.

Good Luck and Welcome! You will not meet a stranger here - escpecially when you get into surrounding counties and areas.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
What about if you are 45 years old and single and moving to Louisville?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 AM

6,854 posts, read 3,928,814 times

Congratulations on your job and Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM

6,545 posts, read 13,680,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating2013 View Post
What about if you are 45 years old and single and moving to Louisville?
What about it?

Try this website:

New2Lou

Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,742 times
Morning All, have a phone interview this week with American Air Filter, would me moving from NJ, kids r college age, so schools not an issue. What would u consider best areas to look for housing. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or