U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM

63 posts, read 264,630 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Somerset, Ky and I am trying to get an idea of how it is there. My oldest daughter does competitive cheerleading and I have not been able to find a cheer gym there. Does anyone know of any good cheerleading gyms there or nearby cities? Also, how are the public schools there? Where is the nearest large city located? We live in a small town but I can be in a large city in 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,395,791 times
Somerset has quite a bit of retail stores and restaurants. However, it's a dry town, so no alcohol at any of the restaurants. Lexington is an hour north of Somerset and it's the nearest large city. During the summer months traffic along the main highway (US 27) can be really bad because so many out of town people visit Lake Cumberland. The area from Somerset, London and Corbin is one of the fastest growing areas of the state.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Default How is London, KY

How are the public schools in London, KY? We were looking at Somerset because my husband would be working there but I have not been able to find a cheer gym for my daughter in that town. I was able to find one in Corbin but that would be too far for my husband to commute I think. I have been looking on a map and it looks like London might be in between the two towns. Are there any other great areas that you might recommend in between Corbin and Somerset?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,408,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatnic View Post
How are the public schools in London, KY? We were looking at Somerset because my husband would be working there but I have not been able to find a cheer gym for my daughter in that town. I was able to find one in Corbin but that would be too far for my husband to commute I think. I have been looking on a map and it looks like London might be in between the two towns. Are there any other great areas that you might recommend in between Corbin and Somerset?
The areas between Somerset and London/Corbin are very rural. Especially KY 80 between London and Somerset, most of that corridor goes through the Daniel Boone National Forest and Rockcastle River watershed. InLondon is correct, the area between London and Corbin is fast growing and has some nice neighborhoods at affordable prices. Personally, I like Hwy 192 going west of London, there are some nice subdivisions out that way. I don't know how gas prices will affect you all, but the distance between London and Somerset is around 30 miles, so the commute could be costly.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,395,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatnic View Post
Schools are good in Laurel County (London). There's several new schools in the district and test scores are really good at Bush Elementary on Highway 80 in London.

Rbryant is right, all along Highway 192 west of London is really nice. Other nice areas would be Highway 521, Highway 1006, Conley Road, McGill Wyan Road, Boggs Road.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 17,942 times
Smile We do have Cheer in Somerset!

I live in Somerset, Ky. and have for many years. We do have Cheerleading and Gymnastic Studios. Missy's Gymnastics and Cheer is by far one of the BEST! Missy has been in business since 1971 and classes offered are gymnastics, dance, all- star cheerleading, power tumbling, ballet, competitive dance, to name a few. She has personally won, as well as many of her students numerous state and national awards in all areas.
My daughter is 12 and has attended since the age of 3. Feel free to visit Southern Apparel - Gymnastics Leotards and Dance, Cheer, Gymnast Outfits - Missy's Gym

We also have Cheerleading in all of our schools. My daughter is currently on the competitive cheer squad for her school. Southwestern High School placed 3rd in the nation last year in Cheerleading.

The southend of Somerset (10 min drive) is wet for those who partake.

I hope this helps to clear up some of your questions and I wish you the best.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM

I'll try to input the website again as it is not showing up in my above post accurately. <Southern Apparel - Gymnastics Leotards and Dance, Cheer, Gymnast Outfits - Missy's Gym>

Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM

Gym mom X2 I emailed Missy's gym and she told me that they would not have anything for her age group. My daughter is 8 yrs. old and has done competitive allstar cheerleading for four years. She loves it. This seems to be my biggest hurdle in moving to Somerset. I hate to move her from what she loves. Do you know of any other gyms in the area or nearby areas that would offer allstar cheerleading that would be a reasonable drive? What you were speaking of is exactly what I am looking for in a gym. She is at one of the best gyms in our state. I have seen Damon's CTA in Somerset. Do you know anything about this gym? I have also read about SKY cheerleaders in Corbin but I think that may be too far to drive from Somerset. Any information would be great. I am not familiar with the area at all. I am from Louisiana. Oh, how are the public schools in Somerset? I have elementary age children. Thanks for any information that you can give.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Missy's does have Allstar Cheerleading, they do exhibitions every now and then, but do not compete competively as of now.

Damon's has been closed for many years. Damon went bankrupt x2, and the owner of the building closed him down and kept the equipment. This building now has new owners and has reopened under the name: Top Notch Gymnastics. Not sure of the phone number or email.

We also have Somerset Elite Training Center- owned by Aislyn Frye. You can google this one and look at their programs. Aislyn talked about begining a Competitive AllStar Cheer Squad but not sure it that has transpired.

In Lexington, Ky. (1.5 hour drive north) there is the Pep Club, and another place (can't think of the name) that had some AWESOME cheer coaches, when my daughter used to compete against them while in school.

As for schools? My children go to the public school now and we thoroughly like it. Go to www.pulaski.net to view school info.
We equally enjoyed the private Christian School until the board of directors voted to increase the tuition almost doubling it.

Let me know if you need any other info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky