U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:36 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,633,533 times

Advertisements

Bowling Green's Corvette Assembly Plant is about to add two more lines to the two they are already making there (Corvette and Cadillac XLR). Expansion will occur in the next two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I agree with you. Basically, any area east of I-75, as well as certain very rural counties along the Cumberland, Western Kentucky and Pennyrile Parkways would be better places to build such facilities. The highway infrastructure is already in place and the cost of doing business is substantially less.
I was thinking more about the London/ Corbin area which is relatively flat. It offers a very low cost of living/ labor with great transportation routes - this is why it is growing so fast in the first place

Old 07-05-2008, 02:07 AM

246 posts, read 940,516 times
Default highliner

If you really think that there are no automotive industry supplier plants east of the I75 corridor, then you have a good deal of serious research ahead of you. I've spent much of the last 13 years of my life working with and/or for several outfits in the TMMK/TMMI supply chain, quite a few of whose plants are located in eastern or east central Kentucky. If I really wanted to be a persnickety, um, individual, then I could simply point out that the TMMK facility itself is located east of I75-but that would constitute 'looking for trouble'-something yours truly never does.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Part of the problem is that KY is trying to sell sites in areas that already have a high average income and a strong UAW presence (greater Louisville). The areas where the new factories are going (Tupelo MS, Montgomery AL) have median incomes that aren't even 1/3 of the incomes in the Triangle.

I think a factory in London/ Corbin/ Middlesboro makes more sense because the labor cost are so much cheaper than in the Triangle.
The VW plant in that article is proposed for the Huntsville metro not Tupelo or Montgomery. The median income in the Huntsville metro is higher than that of Louisville or Lexington. It looks like there is a high probability that the VW plant will locate in Huntsville, it has come down to Huntsville and Chattanooga and rumors are that Huntsville is the choice. Although the income level in Huntsville is high, there is also a very high percentage of highly educated engineers and management professionals yet you still have a large, relatively cheap labor pool in many of the more rural surrounding communities. Additionally, the state of Alabama is very pro business in just about every way imaginable: right to work, low taxes, cheap commercial property, low energy costs...

Also, where did you get this number that Tupelo and Montgomery have a median income 1/3 that of the Triangle?

Here are the median household incomes:
Huntsville 41,074
Tupelo 38,401
Montgomery 35,627
Louisville 39,457
Lexington 39,813

Montgomery and Tupelo are lower, but 1/3 of the Triangle????? If you are going to use stats to bolster your arguments, at least make an attempt to be accurate.

Last edited by rnc76; 07-07-2008 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,896,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Although the income level in Huntsville is high, there is also a very high percentage of highly educated engineers and management professionals yet you still have a large, relatively cheap labor pool in many of the more rural surrounding communities.

Additionally, the state of Alabama is very pro business in just about every way imaginable: right to work, low taxes, cheap commercial property, low energy costs...
Huntsville can pull off what the have not just b/c of Alabama's economic development incentives and ambitions, but also:
(1) Metro Huntsville has a lot of land, much like Kentucky's metros, and can therefore expand easily;
(2) It is not a high-growth, high-demand, and popular destination for yankee relocatees. It's growing at just a steady pace, so they don't have an oversaturated, overtaxed housing market about to experience a bubble burst.

Kentucky does have cheap commercial property and lower energy costs. However, the right-to-work and taxation issues hold us back. Especially the right-to-work! Of course, as long as FDR-minded rural Democrats run the show in Frankfort nothing will change.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Huntsville can pull off what the have not just b/c of Alabama's economic development incentives and ambitions, but also:
(1) Metro Huntsville has a lot of land, much like Kentucky's metros, and can therefore expand easily;
(2) It is not a high-growth, high-demand, and popular destination for yankee relocatees. It's growing at just a steady pace, so they don't have an oversaturated, overtaxed housing market about to experience a bubble burst.

Kentucky does have cheap commercial property and lower energy costs. However, the right-to-work and taxation issues hold us back. Especially the right-to-work! Of course, as long as FDR-minded rural Democrats run the show in Frankfort nothing will change.
Addressing 2: Huntsville is growing at quite a good pace. Maybe not on par with the level of growth places like Charlotte or Phoenix have seen, but the metro is growing quickly. And yes, we have LOTS of "yankee" and California transplants here. If you are an engineer or scientist and are looking for a lower cost of living, Huntsville is eventually going to pop up on your radar. Huntsville/Madison County is very much an area full of transplants including myself and just about everyone I know.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 AM

200 posts, read 714,217 times
there is alot of good flat land available in alot of areas east of I 75.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,896,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Addressing 2: Huntsville is growing at quite a good pace. Maybe not on par with the level of growth places like Charlotte or Phoenix have seen, but the metro is growing quickly. And yes, we have LOTS of "yankee" and California transplants here. If you are an engineer or scientist and are looking for a lower cost of living, Huntsville is eventually going to pop up on your radar. Huntsville/Madison County is very much an area full of transplants including myself and just about everyone I know.
Well, Huntsville is growing faster than the rest of Alabama, that's for sure. It is growing faster than the likes of Lexington and Cincinnati. But when compared to "boom" towns like Charlotte, Houston, and Atlanta, then Huntsville is just growing at a moderate rate.

See what I'm sayin'?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,372,463 times
[quote=jcm1986;4326872]I agree with you. Basically, any area east of I-75, as well as certain very rural counties along the Cumberland, Western Kentucky and Pennyrile Parkways would be better places to build such facilities. The highway infrastructure is already in place and the cost of doing business is substantially less.

Western Ky. would be better, actually, b/c the land is not nearly as hilly or mountainous, meaning it would cost tens of millions of dollars less to build a mini-city b/c of land removal as it would in eastern Ky.

We have an old family cemetery that is barely visible from the on ramp onto I-24 from U.S. 41. Landowner told me last year all the land on the left side of I-24 from exit 86 (Ft. Campbell exit) down to the next exit was where they tried to get the Toyota (I think it was Toyota) plant that went to Huntsville. I remember that Hopkinsville was running a close second. This land is still under option in case there is another industry looking around.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Well, Huntsville is growing faster than the rest of Alabama, that's for sure. It is growing faster than the likes of Lexington and Cincinnati. But when compared to "boom" towns like Charlotte, Houston, and Atlanta, then Huntsville is just growing at a moderate rate.

See what I'm sayin'?
Thanks for repeating what I said, it makes much more sense to me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky