Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Pittsburg of The South

Why doesn't Kentucky get its head out its butt and make a strong attempt to bring in these jobs? Seems like Indiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, and Texas have been getting most the automotive manufacturing jobs lately.

Ford in Louisville is chugging along but has greatly downsized. GM in Bowling Green is expanding but not enough to boast about it. Toyota is still doing well in Georgetown and has its North American headquarters in the Florence area. So Kentucky is still producing a good portion of this nation's cars, but it isn't enough; we owe it to ourselves to do more and better diversity this sector of our economy. Remember the Hyundai proposal for Hardin Co.? We botched that up BIG TIME and Montgomery, Alabama got the jobs, and deservedly so.

I don't see Kentucky having the long-term financial intellect and foresight to bring in a diverse array of career opportunities and encourage entrepreneurialism while that dee-dee-dee Governor of ours is in office. (Come on, all he campaigned on was "I ain't no Fletcher" and "Casiners.") We also need to greatly lower our corporate and personal income tax rate to...zero! What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Let's see Georgetown has the Toyota plant that employs 7,000 people, Louisville has the Ford plant and Bowling Green is the only place in the world that assembles Corvettes.....

Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Part of the problem is that KY is trying to sell sites in areas that already have a high average income and a strong UAW presence (greater Louisville). The areas where the new factories are going (Tupelo MS, Montgomery AL) have median incomes that aren't even 1/3 of the incomes in the Triangle.

I think a factory in London/ Corbin/ Middlesboro makes more sense because the labor cost are so much cheaper than in the Triangle.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM

London has Aisin Automotive which makes parts for Nissan, Toyota, Honda and it employs 700 people.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM

257 posts, read 881,121 times
i would like to know more about having personal income taxes at zero. how does this work and if it's effective, why don't more states do it?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:20 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
According the US Department of Commerce, Kentucky is ranked 4th in the nation in total vehicle production, so I'd say we're not doing too bad.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
According the US Department of Commerce, Kentucky is ranked 4th in the nation in total vehicle production, so I'd say we're not doing too bad.
Who's one through three?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Who's one through three?
I looked at GDP statistics from 2006 and these these were the top five:

1. Michigan
2. Ohio
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Missouri

Tennesse, Alabama, and Texas also are in the top ten, but I can't remember their exact rankings.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Oh don't worry JCM will come up with more negative stuff to post on here.......

Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Part of the problem is that KY is trying to sell sites in areas that already have a high average income and a strong UAW presence (greater Louisville). The areas where the new factories are going (Tupelo MS, Montgomery AL) have median incomes that aren't even 1/3 of the incomes in the Triangle.

I think a factory in London/ Corbin/ Middlesboro makes more sense because the labor cost are so much cheaper than in the Triangle.
I agree with you. Basically, any area east of I-75, as well as certain very rural counties along the Cumberland, Western Kentucky and Pennyrile Parkways would be better places to build such facilities. The highway infrastructure is already in place and the cost of doing business is substantially less.

Western Ky. would be better, actually, b/c the land is not nearly as hilly or mountainous, meaning it would cost tens of millions of dollars less to build a mini-city b/c of land removal as it would in eastern Ky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh don't worry JCM will come up with more negative stuff to post on here.......
Hmmm...okay. It's hard to build a Toyota plant on a mountain in Gray, Paintsville, Morehead, Hindman, or any other EKY town that even has a major highway running through them. Seriously. This isn't negative, but realistic; why do you think so few factories locate east of I-75, at least in comparison to the rest of the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky