U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM

52 posts, read 117,953 times

Advertisements

This is the media article that my children liked best. I agree. We also liked the coverage by Elizabeth Donatelli at Wave3.com

[SIZE=5]Demand for barriers pays off [/SIZE][SIZE=5][/SIZE] Gov. Steve Beshear, left, shakes hands with wreck survivor Jennifer Lawson as she is introduced by her father, Dave, on Wednesday morning before a press conference.

[RIGHT]Photo by Neal Cardin [/RIGHT]
Kentucky legislators from various districts stand behind Gov. Steve Beshear as he announces Kentucky will begin the installation of cable barriers in the median of Interstate 65 from Barren County to Jefferson County including Hardin County during a press conference Wednesday morning at the southbound rest area near Munfordville.

[RIGHT]Photo by Neal Cardin [/RIGHT]
Dave Lawson, granddaughter Veronica Walker, 4, and daughter Jenny all wear buttons with Cassandra and Myra's photo at the press conference in Munfordville.

By MARTY FINLEY
mfinley@thenewsenterprise.com
HART COUNTY — With sweat on his brow, Elizabethtown resident Dave Lawson sat with his daughters, Jenny and Jolene, in the early morning sun Wednesday at the Hart County rest area on Interstate 65 and prepared for the announcement he did not expect to hear — at least not so soon.
Lawson has been lobbying vigorously for the state to install cable median barriers along I-65 and other Kentucky roadways since losing his wife, Myra, and daughter Cassandra in a March 19 crossover crash near Munfordville that also injured his daughter Jenny. David, Madeleine and Megan McGrath of Logan County also were killed after their pickup hydroplaned, crossed the median and crashed into the Lawsons’ van.
And while the announcement was brief, it resonated like a thunderclap with Lawson.
Gov. Steve Beshear, standing at a lectern on the grounds of the rest stop, announced a $10.8 million project Wednesday to install cable median barriers along 34 miles of I-65 in Hardin, Bullitt, Barren and Hart counties, as well as another 10.2 miles of barriers on the Gene Snyder Freeway in Jefferson County.
Beshear said the decision was prompted by an increase in crossover crashes in Kentucky and the success the state already has experienced with the barriers.
Two years ago, the state installed cable barriers on Interstates 64, 71 and 265 in Jefferson and Oldham counties. And last summer, barriers were installed on New Circle Road in Lexington.
Beshear said cars already have struck the barriers on those highways at least 385 times, but an estimated 299 vehicles were stopped from crossing over into opposing lanes of traffic.
Last year brought a six-year low in highway deaths, and the second consecutive year that Kentucky saw a decline in highway fatalities, Beshear said. This year, highway deaths are down from 419 to 367 — a 12 percent decrease — as of Monday, Beshear said. But it is only a start, he said.
“That’s still too many, and we refuse to be satisfied,” Beshear said.
Transportation Secretary Joe Prather of Elizabethtown said he hoped this project would be the initial step to installing barriers along all of Kentucky’s interstates and highways that need them.
A time frame for installation has not been set because the barriers have to be designed fit the terrain of the road, but Prather projected that it would take a few months.
The announcement comes less than a week after House Resolution 5 was passed unanimously, 94-0, in support of cable median barriers. The resolution, introduced by Rep. Tim Moore, R-Elizabethtown, urged the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to make cable median barriers one of its highest priorities and all 94 legislators signed on as co-sponsors.
Moore could not attend the announcement ceremony, but told The News-Enterprise on Tuesday that the announcement wasn’t about him, but was about the safety of Kentucky and its drivers. He credits Lawson’s tenacity as a key reason why he introduced the resolution.
Lawson said he was filled with a mixture of emotions at the announcement, feeling both joy and relief that the barriers were to become a reality. He said he never expected that they would garner so much support so quickly.
“It’s scary,” he said.
But Lawson will feel even better when he sees the workers installing the barriers with his own two eyes, he said.
In April, The News-Enterprise reported that 12 crossover crashes had occurred from April 23, 2007, to March 19, 2008, resulting in 14 deaths and 12 injuries.
Lawson said the extensive reporting on the scope of crossover crashes in that story and others alerted him to the severity of the situation. Since then, Lawson has partnered with other families who have lost loved ones in crossover crashes, including the family of 23-year-old Jesse Keeling, a Western Kentucky University graduate student and Louisville native who died of injuries sustained in a crossover crash May 3 while she was driving to Louisville from Bowling Green.
“Obviously what we’re doing today can never bring back your loved ones,” Beshear said to Lawson and his family, “but hopefully it will prevent similar kinds of tragedies for other families.”
Lawson and his family traveled to Louisville with the governor Wednesday, where Beshear also presented the proposal for the cable barriers.
Prather said I-65 and Gene Snyder Freeway were not randomly chosen, but were recommended by engineers who analyzed Kentucky roadways and determined the critical points in need of more safety precautions.
Beshear said he is excited about the project and that the state is ready to work. “We want to hit the ground running,” he said. Marty Finley can be reached at (270) 505-1762.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,396,768 times
Thanks for sharing the article with us Dave. So sorry for your losses.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 AM

285 posts, read 792,645 times
This is so good to hear!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lawson View Post
I fail to understand how any of these counties qualify as Louisville xurbs.
The barriers being put in Hart and Barren counties are over 75 miles from the Jefferson county line and less than 25 to Bowling Green. The closest Hardin county barrier will be over 25 miles south of the Gene Snyder. And please don't tell the Shepherdsville residents that they are part of Louisville. I guess maybe Louisville is bigger than I thought, tho.

Oh yes they are. Not Hart, but certainly Bullitt and Hardin. Shepherdsville is 17 miles from downtown. It is DEFINITELY a suburb of Louisville.

Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Etown is basically an exurb of Louisville that is highly reliant on the city. Thus, it is part of the CSA:

Louisville-Elizabethtown-Scottsburg, KY-IN Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2008, 12:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
I can move it if you want. But either way, the Louisville MSA is definitely Louisville suburbs. The CSA contains two MIRCOPOLITAN areas, elizabethtown and scottsburg, but everyone knows the major center within a 50 mile center of Louisville is, well, Louisville. Shepherdsville, La Grange, New Albany, Sellersburg...they are all suburbs of Louisville. Etown, not so much. It is a small micropolitan area that is relatively self sufficent, but reliant on Louiville from everything from higher education and arts, to airport and shopping.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 PM

52 posts, read 117,953 times
I deleted my previous reply to stx12499 in order to get this back on topic.
It is not worth a fight about semantics and how much of the US is owned by Louisville.

censusdata,
You started this thread with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This is great news, and NONE of it would have happened without the work put in by the Lawson and Keeling families.

Cable barrier projects are scheduled for the following areas:
  • Hardin, I-65, 7.8 miles, from mile point 80.5 to 88.3 (Sonora, Glendale area)
  • Hardin, I-65, 9.4 miles, from mile point 91.1 to 100.5 (Includes Muldraugh Hill)
  • Jefferson, Ky. 841, 10.2 miles, from mile point 0 to 10.2 (Gene Snyder Freeway from I-65 to Dixie Highway)
  • Hart and Barren, I-65, 10.5 miles, from mile point 52.4 to 62.9 (Horse Cave area)
  • Bullitt, I-65, 6.2 miles, from mile point 109.4 to 115.6 (From KY 480 to Jefferson County line)
Counties To Get Cable Barriers - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville (http://www.wlky.com/news/16772151/detail.html - broken link)
I responded with a desire to be left out of the limelight. BUT after thinking about your next comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata
I think I-71 from Henry Co to I-75 is much worse than most of I-65

I-64 from I-265 to Shelbyville could use some, but they're wanting to widen that stretch in the next few years.
--------------
I'm willing to kep my ugly face in front of the cameras, my voice on the governor's answering machine, and my heart into saving lives.
My webmaster, myself, and YourBestHost.info ( the company that hosts BarriersNow.com for free ) have decided to keep the website open and expand it to other Ky highways and even other states. If you can get us some info to start it off, we will fight for I-71 and I-64. Anyone wanting to contribute data can visit Barriers Now - Powered by vBulletin to see what we needed to get this done on I-65. I'll open a new section tomorrrow for I-71 and I-64 and other highways. We did not get the 44 miles of barriers without a lot of help. We will need the same kind of help and support from anyone who wants a problem highway fixed. Please limit your posts to that new section until I am able to create a branch forum that is seperate from the one for I-65. You will have to join to post.
Thank you.
Dave

Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 20,475,294 times
South Carolina (a very fast growing, progressive state) has cable barriers on ALL interstates

Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,396,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
South Carolina (a very fast growing, progressive state) has cable barriers on ALL interstates
Not exactly "all," according to this website -WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | DOT loses cable barrier lawsuit

"The State newspaper of Columbia reports that now about half of the 842 miles of interstate in South Carolina have the barriers."

Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 AM

9,589 posts, read 20,475,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Not exactly "all," according to this website -WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | DOT loses cable barrier lawsuit

"The State newspaper of Columbia reports that now about half of the 842 miles of interstate in South Carolina have the barriers."
I remember them being on every inch of I-26 from the NC line to Charleston, but I didn't drive on I-77.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,755,600 times
I'm sorry for anyone that looses a friend or family member, and roads should be safe.

However, I can't figure out how the state has nearly $11 million dollars for barriers and we down here in political Siberia can't even get a road finished, better yet barriers. We have running between Mayfield and Murray a 4 lane highway (80) that ends about 8 miles short of where it's going and dead ends in a corn field. Just as many people have been killed or injured on busy narrow 2 lanes roads.
Again I do not want to minimize anyones loss, what I would like is for the state to finish what they started before the go spending millions elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky