U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM

23 posts, read 21,427 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Louisville,44 yrs. and wonder the same as you why so many counties.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM

791 posts, read 1,130,830 times
[quote=Peter1948;28386128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post

Hogs....you love EKy and are proud of it. Why don't you petition Frankfort to wake up and start promoting EKY? Maybe you can take personal action And of course I realize EKY and E. TN are light years different today. But do you honestly think they were all that different in 1950? Why has TN promoted itself while KY sits idle, having to curtail the same old stereotypes and missing out on a billion dollar toursim business. EKY COULD have the economy and eco-tourism (very trendy right now btw) that does E. TN but no one is doing anything about it.....
Believe it or not, I love all of Kentucky just, some places more than others. No place like home.

I'm very close to the tourism business and Eastern Kentucky is promoted every day and Frankfort is well aware of it.

I can remember East Tennessee as far back as 1960 and yes it was much different then than Eastern Kentucky at the same time period. Gatlinburg was alive and well (for the times). Smokey Mountain National Park was relatively new becoming offically a national park in 1940 which was the spark needed for East Tennessee to thrive and, the rest is history. America was a much different place in 1950 or 1940. Everyone enjoyed seeing everyone do well because it wasn't too many years earlier that no one was doing well. Hard times brought the country closer. Not today. I don't know what took place that establish the Smokey Mountain National Park as a National Park and, I'm sure Tennessee had something to do with it but, probably just said, OK we'll take it. I don't know much history on the national park pryor to it's existance...maybe I need to look into that.

Could Eastern Kentucky be similar to East Tennessee? It could but, probably won't at least not in my life time.

What would the rest of Kentucky, or the Nation for that matter, have to say if Eastern Kentucky was promoted ($$$$$$) to the point of East Tennessee and the Smokey Mountain National Park? And, who would be willing to promote ($$$$$) Eastern Kentucky to that point? Doing what ever it took to bring it to that status, knowing, in the beginning, we are in this to the end. Not just a token amount. If you are going to start something, the smart thing to do is finish it. Right? Not saying Eastern Kentucky should be a National Park but, with the greed mentality of a lot of people today, can you imagine what it would take to just purchase the land if, that would be the case.

I'll shut up now, before I offend someone.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 PM

38 posts, read 50,802 times
I am far from an expert on the matter, but it seems to me the geography of east Tennessee and eastern Kentucky are quite different, and therein perhaps lies the answer to why TN has developed and KY has not. While TN has higher mountains, it has sets of ridges and valleys that allow for the growth of larger cities (Chattanooga, Knoxville, Johnson City). These cities, not to mention Gatlinburg, provide employment and stimulate the economy of the entire region. Kentucky doesn't have any cities similar to those listed and it is likely because the terrain is so much less forgiving. Instead of ridges and valleys, you've just got rugged hills that are not at all well suited for population growth, farming, anything...

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky