U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Census, a bit of an old man's experience, if I may? You have a wonderful understanding of data and where to find it. You have found an extremely valuable skill. What I would suggest to you and so many other people, please use your great talent to answer people's questions. For example, the OP specifically requested to be near Black Mountain. Your response would be confusing to people who have no idea where Carroll County is.

Please keep your great stats coming, but be certain they pertain to and answer the question.
TC, they said they like the Lexington area, so I wasn't confusing them by mentioning other areas. The wanted to know about hunting, and the areas I mentioned are the very best for deer and turkey.

I love the area around Black Mountain - I have 6 uncles and aunts who were born at Lynch Hospital when it was still a bustling mining community. 4 generations of my family lived on Black Mountain, my great grandfather sold the highest point to the state - I would never try to talk down the area. I will say that jobs are more limited, and there are only small town type shopping in Harlan Co. just to portray the area accuratly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 AM

149 posts, read 688,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sto819 View Post
thank you everybody for all the great suggestions! kycoyote, it's funny that you mentioned the fish and game department. he originally wanted to get into the environmental side of law enforcement, so it's very exciting that you brought that to our attention!
Nopers sto819, its more exciting you asked the right question at the right place and time. Bulk of the commonwealth has no more use for policemen than fish has for bicycle. Meanwhile protection and management of wildlife game preserves are newly established top drawer items on the Frankfort agenda that deserve not to be overlooked. And reconnoitre yerself wildlife photographer along these lines, y'all find happy home here I'm sure.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM

200 posts, read 714,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900 TALKRADIO View Post
Within a one hour radius of Black Mountain: Pineville, Cumberland, Harlan, Lynch, Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, Hazard, Vicco, Hindman, Prestonsburg, Martin, Pikeville, Jenkins.

Hazard and Pikeville are the only two with any size hospital, newspaper, or police department...I have lived in eastern KY 33 of my 44 years and out of these I would definately choose Pikeville.
acctually... Harlan has nearly everything to offer as far as shopping, resturants, and services such as hospitals and schools that Pikeville or Hazard does, and its closer to Middlesboro and Corbin Harlan rocks. Message me I can show ya tons of nice pictures of the town

Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
acctually... Harlan has nearly everything to offer as far as shopping, resturants, and services such as hospitals and schools that Pikeville or Hazard does, and its closer to Middlesboro and Corbin Harlan rocks. Message me I can show ya tons of nice pictures of the town
Could you post some Harlan pics on the Kentucky Photo Sticky?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
I agree Jamie, Harlan is anotherwonderful Eastern Ky. town..It has a wonderful rich history and lots of great people

Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 AM

108 posts, read 399,133 times
Everyone has made some good suggestions for areas around Black Mountain. I probably don't even need to add anything to what has already been mentioned.

However, I noticed that you mentioned that you don't necessarily have to live near Black Mountain, as long as it's somewhere with good scenery. As another suggestion, if you also want to consider something a little farther from Black Mountain, you might look at Morehead. It's a small college town on the edge of the mountains, about an hour east of Lexington. It's large enough to have a hospital and newspaper, but still small enough to maintain the small-town feel you're looking for. I think it's a good compromise between being in the mountains but not too far from Lexington. Plus, it's near lakes, the Daniel Boone National Forest, Natural Bridge, Red River Gorge, and Cave Run Lake. All of these can provide good opportunities for photography. You might even be able to get a studio in the Pendleton Art Center in Ashland, about an hour east of Morehead. You could drive over from Morehead a couple of days a week to display and sell your photos. Check out the following link for more information:
The Pendleton Art Center: Home of the largest collection of artists under one roof. (click on the Ashland link for more information about the Ashland location)

If you want to be closer to Black Mountain, however, I'll add another vote for Pikeville.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,273 times
Brownsville definetly its beautiful some of the best country for miles or glassgow its within the same vasinity near cave city(mammoth cave) its beautifull and full of southern pride and southern hospitality.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,136 times
Default Where in Kentucky is this?

Another thought is Federal law enforcement especially since all around that area of interest is the Daniel Boone National Forest and they do hiring by your husband going onto usajobs.gov and look up law enforcement officer (LEO for short). They higher quicker current or prior law enforcement, they are short of officers in Kentucky, and get into environmental and other. It is great work. It will give you up to 9 choices to pick where you want to be and they can all be in Kentucky if you choose. I miss that place it will be where I retire too.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM

245 posts, read 666,550 times
I think Hazard would be well suited for both of your needs...there is a state police post there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky