U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,911,705 times
Reputation: 2124

Advertisements

ever refinished their own bathtub? If so, how did it go and would you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
San
 
54 posts, read 388,487 times
Reputation: 69
My husband did a bathtub in a house where we lived before. He did it with a special epoxy spray and it turned out quite well. He cleaned the tub first with something and then used the spray. You have to give it time to cure up well. The finish was quite hard and we were using it with no problems when we sold the house. He tried the epoxy out on a piece of ceramic tile first. I am sorry, I don't recall what product he used. It's been a number of years ago, but I imagine that someplace like Lowe's might be able to help. As to whether it's worth it or not I can't say. At the time we had a bathroom situation where we weren't sure if we could replace the tub. I think it also depends on the type of tub you have. This was one of the old enamel sort as opposed to the fiberglass tubs that are in a great many bathrooms now. I suppose it would depend on what it would cost you for a new tub and installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,911,705 times
Reputation: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
My husband did a bathtub in a house where we lived before. He did it with a special epoxy spray and it turned out quite well. He cleaned the tub first with something and then used the spray. You have to give it time to cure up well. The finish was quite hard and we were using it with no problems when we sold the house. He tried the epoxy out on a piece of ceramic tile first. I am sorry, I don't recall what product he used. It's been a number of years ago, but I imagine that someplace like Lowe's might be able to help. As to whether it's worth it or not I can't say. At the time we had a bathroom situation where we weren't sure if we could replace the tub. I think it also depends on the type of tub you have. This was one of the old enamel sort as opposed to the fiberglass tubs that are in a great many bathrooms now. I suppose it would depend on what it would cost you for a new tub and installation.


Thank you so much for your response. We have decided for now to keep the old tub and just try to decorate around it (it's coral pink color)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Far Western KY
1,833 posts, read 5,858,449 times
Reputation: 848
Use "Tough as Tile"

Clean it with TSP and steel wool 2 times, rinse with clean water 3 times.

Mix up Tough as Tile and paint once, place it in the freezer (this keeps it from drying) day 2 paint again, let dry 3 days to a week before use.

I do this a few times a year for folks, you can buy the product and DIY for about $50 or pay some one like me a few $100.

It's not that hard to do, just smelly since it's epoxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA & Butler county KY
237 posts, read 768,784 times
Reputation: 199
Well, Missy...I'm glad you are trying to get rid of that PINK tub!
Jeezzz....



Do you have a matching rubber duckie??? hehehe...

Dig~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,911,705 times
Reputation: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Well, Missy...I'm glad you are trying to get rid of that PINK tub!
Jeezzz....



Do you have a matching rubber duckie??? hehehe...

Dig~
LOL LOL It's not so bad.... it's about this color: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1117410454
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA & Butler county KY
237 posts, read 768,784 times
Reputation: 199
Dang, my old country grandma would call that 'pank'!

Dig~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,911,705 times
Reputation: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Dang, my old country grandma would call that 'pank'!

Dig~

LOL Yes it is pink, but a shade of it called coral Pink pink I tend to think of as Pepto pink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
San
 
54 posts, read 388,487 times
Reputation: 69
WHOOOEE, I don't know. Kind of have to agree with the rest of the folks. I think I'd try to change it also if it was mine. The tub we refinished with the epoxy was white. It just needed a new finish. Actually, we shouldn't give Missy a hard time. She has enough to bear just living with that pink tub!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,911,705 times
Reputation: 2124
We have since determined it is salmon(still pink, I know) and have actually fuond a way to decorate around it! So, no need for a new tub..... for now anyway. I will post after pics when we are done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top