U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 AM

246 posts, read 719,504 times

Advertisements

Have I ever been there? Well yes, for a period of about twenty years, when I considered our little house on Scott Avenue near the Seventh Street swinging bridge to be home-sweet-home. In addition, my family has occupied land along the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy in Pike county since 1782. They are mostly dead or moved on now, but a few diehards remain, mostly around Belfry and Mullins Addition, with one still living on what will surely be his deathbed in downtown Pikeville. I remember well what a fine and dandy little mountain town it was, back in the 60's and 70's, before liquor and oxycontin became so prevalent on our streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM

321 posts, read 737,896 times
Well hello there highliner... I was beginning to wonder if the "big ole city" swallowed you up! ;P

BTW.. .yes.. I live in Rowan County... Gods country in my opinion.. I just love the trees... the mountains.... the people... the peace and quiet.... the sound of crickets chirping in the evenings... as opposed to those pesky sirens and random gunshots day and night elsewhere... HA!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 21,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Well hello there highliner... I was beginning to wonder if the "big ole city" swallowed you up! ;P

BTW.. .yes.. I live in Rowan County... Gods country in my opinion.. I just love the trees... the mountains.... the people... the peace and quiet.... the sound of crickets chirping in the evenings... as opposed to those pesky sirens and random gunshots day and night elsewhere... HA!
THANK YOU!!! WELL SAID!!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
kid

1 posts, read 2,195 times
beenreading what some have to say about Pikeville as a whole,,I Was born in Pikeville,my Dad in Hazard,my Mother in Harlan,,they left Pikeville when I was 5,,LONG,, time ago,,will be 69 in couple months or so And I plan on retiring in Pikeville, For reasons of my own,my last visit was in 1970,,a one day side trip,,I found it much as I could recall it as a child and exactly as my Mother told us kids it was. Me,,I love it,,or maybe I love My memories of it,,I'll find out. Education IS the key to just about everything in life,,it does Not make a person or define its people,,I am well educated but I Know I will fit in,because I will be Home.I,ve done a lot of checking and searching and know many of the famlies my parents knew and their kids that I knew are Still there. So get ready Pikeville I,m coming home and proud to do so,,,make no mistake you will know who I am,let the good times roll.
The Kid

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM

12,392 posts, read 14,886,241 times
Welcome home, KidWe have been here in or near Pikeville since 1975...In those 30 years it has seen changes. Still small town and everyone knows each other. You will be amazed and very satisfied with the changes We just retired (well hubby did) last year and plan to stay right here. We are plenty close to whatever we need and the children have grown up, and decided to stay too, and raise their children in a place that we feel safe sending them off to school ..Some of the fine people of Ky. usually come back and dis anything I say about Pikeville, but thats okay Please just direct message me if you need any more infornation. Medical care is excellent now, We have a large med. center that continues to grow, so we don't have to go to Lex or Louisville for a lot of care. We have an airport that looks to go commuter soon.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:37 AM

246 posts, read 719,504 times
Default highliner

Y'all know what? I could probably resist the ever present temptation to shoot at you, if only you'd stop giving me such easy targets to train in on!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 78,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaura57 View Post
I grew up in Virgie, just outside Pikeville. We had to go to Pikeville to shop if we wanted clothes or anything really important. Went to school there in the late 60s, early 70s. It was very depressing/dead back then. I still have family there so visit once or twice a year and now you can go out somewhere different every night and there's plenty of shopping in Pikeville. Roads much better, newer highways opened up, etc. I'd move back there if I could find some affordable pasture land (hard to find any flat land in the Pikeville area) to raise horses.

Try Lower Johns Creeks quiet a bit of large flat land...Nice area. Back in the country..

Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 16,434 times
Holy crap guys, It's crazy to see how your alls opinion of the same place differ!...I've lived in Pike County all of my life (~20 years), and from what I can tell things have improved in this area by leaps and bounds! BUT, there is a huge underlying problem with the area... You guys have already said it, but isolation reinforced by udder addiction has been the bottleneck of this region 'from the get-go'. I would estimate that at least 30% +-15% have been or is currently abusing drugs of some sort...I would compare most of Pike County to that of an inner city 'ghetto'. Depression and poverty run rampant...There's a reason why the 'War on Poverty' made a stop in Pike. But like I said things have improved..Pikeville is a good example of this improvement..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikeville%2C_Kentucky

The thing you've got to realize about Pikeville is, it's the pride and joy of Eastern Kentucky. In most developed areas of the US money is spread around to improve the overall economic situation of a region...This is not true for Pike County...It's almost like the people realize there's no real hope of their town being as they envisioned so they pour all their hope into Pikeville. The city council and tourism board are trying so hard to get away from the rest of the county because if they don’t, then they're doomed! In the last 20 years city planning for Pikeville has really saved the city from disappearing with the rest of the county.

First off There's several If it wasn’t for the Pikeville Cut-Through project and the subsequent 'river-fill' the town would have had nowhere to expand...The river-fill gave the town room to build up the downtown area...which was quickly gobbled up by a businessmen (which consists of a HUGE abundance of lawyer's offices). A medium sized movie theatre was built and 'The Pikeville Court House' was expanded into a rather large jail...Getting back to city planning, almost all of the infrastructure for the downtown area has been buried to clean up the skyline of the city which was at one time very much obscured by utility lines..The downtown area was also 'dressed up' with cobblestone paving and "fancy" street signs..But a quick drive down the narrow out-grown streets reveal that the city is mostly dead...But its important to realize this isn't New York City...It's a smaller sleepy city..

Pikeville overseers are trying to make Pikeville out to be something you'd see in a magazine or hear described in a book about 'The Perfect American Town"...But you've got to remember that this just isn’t so...It's being built up to resemble something you'd see in true suburbia...Their moves to make it something it is not, is well ..INCREDIBLY SMART...Because after coal is gone for good, Pikeville unlike the surrounding communities will have something to stand on...They are capitalizing on Pike County's shear isolation to make itself rich...I couldn’t tell you how many times I've heard "Lets head across the mountain..." Meaning I'm going to Pikeville...Most often to just get out of the house... There’s NOTHING in the surrounding towns...NOTHING.. I've often said heck if someone put up a 'Lemonade Stand' in town you'd have a line 3 miles long within 10 minutes, because the people are STARVED for ANYTHING! One of the best and worst things to happen to this area is the opening of the Wal-Mart Supercenter. If there was any glimmer of an actual economy to the downtown area, Wal-Mart shut it down with a vengeance.... However, Wal-Mart's development opened up that meager strip of land to other businesses...

I often find myself thinking how big Pikeville is getting...But anytime I leave the area I find that Pikeville is just a little more developed than most 'Interstate Exit popup cities'...

See Pikeville is a hub for many surrounding communities..With the absence of bigger cities or towns in the area all 'business' usually centers on Pikeville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The median income for a household in the city was $22,026, and the median income for a family was $36,792. Males had a median income of $42,298 versus $19,306 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,426. About 21.2% of families and 25.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.7% of those under age 18 and 15.8% of those age 65 or over.

To the original poster, I'm sure you're surprised at how many responses you've got to your simple post...But you've tapped into a huge can of worms that is always in the back of people's minds that live in the area... Pikeville is our sad 'slice of Heaven' that we call home... I'd love to stay in the area, but there’s simply nowhere to work…Although this area has been tremendous progress my final advice would be “AVOID THIS AREA LIKE THE PLAGUE” Because in the long run this place is going nowhere, fast…

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
Try Lower Johns Creeks quiet a bit of large flat land...Nice area. Back in the country..
I actually like LJC.. I feel like I've magically teleported myself somewhere else after I take the exit by the Johns Creek Fire Department lol...A beautiful area around there is right before you get to the Floyd County where the trees are hanging over the road...Almost like a tunnel!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Hah, try downtown Morehead! I live right off the street and hear sirens constantly :P.... Morehead and Pikeville remind me a lot of one another... Both cities trying to grow out of nothing! Rowan County has got its own development problems not unlike Pike County...But MSU helps this county out in many ways... Unlike Pikeville College who's target student (as far as wallets go) calls Upstate New York home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky