U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

19 posts, read 40,668 times
Default Move to Caneyville, Kentucky

Hi, my husband and I live in Florida and are moveing to the Caneyville area. Can anyone tell us anything about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 12,425,095 times
It's a rural community right off the WK Parkway. It is probably about 40 miles to Elizabethtown, about 35 to Bowling Green. It's pretty close to Rough River Lake

Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks censusdata, this is a blind move for us, so any information is a big deal to us. I can't find anything written or any pictures of this area. I've been searching for days.

Last edited by Pici0274; 07-15-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,664,888 times
Why are you moving there, sight unseen?

My spousal unit and I were just through there about 2 or 3 months ago. Not sure what you're used to, but that area is just lovely, gorgeous rolling countryside. Teeny, tiny town with "just plain folks." My DH noted that, on the "main drag", there are some Sears and Roebucks houses still standing....these are houses people in rural areas used to ORDER from the Sears catalog in the 1940's, and they were delivered on a flatbed truck and the buyer would then assemble them...

Myself, I think I would love it there. It's gorgeous country and close to Rough River State Park. Very quiet, tiny town, though. So if you are retiring there and not looking for "excitement," you will probably be happy as clams! To my way of thinking, there isn't anything much more exciting than the beauty of God's country, all around me...

Not surprised to hear you haven't found much online; I wouldn't be surprised if most people living there don't even have internet....just country people. You can probably buy land cheaper there, than anywhere, I'd imagine. Very pretty area. My DH said he would like to buy land there and he never says anything like that.

Last edited by Sundance; 07-19-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Caneyville

Sundance, thank you for the information. That is a great help to us. Yes, we are looking for a place to retire. My DH retired this year and I am soon to join him. We did find 2 acres within our price range and a good deal. DH wants to build a little house or cabin with a porch and we can sit back and rock.

Where we live in Florida, there is too much going on. We just want quiet and boring now.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,664,888 times
Oh, you will love it there!
I wouldn't mind buying a place there. The state park is right there, you can fish, swim, rent a pontoon. There's a golfing range...
You will adore it there.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,239,231 times
Caneyville is going to be a big shock from Florida. Its a very small community. I'm was born and raised in Grayson County (currently living in AK) and can tell you that while its a lovely part of the country it is a rural area and there isn't a lot going on there. If you a looking for the quiet life then its perfect. If you like more amenities then you might want to look in a larger area. Leitchfield has the basics (getting a Sonic next month) and you will be about 35 to 40 minutes from Etown. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM

237 posts, read 552,326 times
Just my two cents worth from a Florida native (Orlando) person that has spent most of his life in big cities.
If you are looking for the quiet life in a pretty part of the country, you've made a good choice. Sure, there are some drawbacks, but many positive things about small towns. Plus Kentucky has four distinct seasons, with spring & fall both being spectacular!

Good luck with the move. My guess is that you will fit in just fine.

Digger~

Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM

632 posts, read 1,239,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Plus Kentucky has four distinct seasons, with spring & fall both being spectacular!

Gotta back Digger on this one. Fall is absolutely incredible in Kentucky. Its my favorite season and the tree's are so pretty. Lots of red, orange, yellow leaves. There are some great fall festivles too. If you are in KY by this fall be sure and check out Glendale Days in Hardin County. It was a family tradition for us when I lived there. Something I looked forward too every year.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,545 times
Glendale Days is quite amazing! And, being in Caneyville, you'd only be about 40 minutes away.

I grew up in Grayson County (and I'm actually there now), and I have enjoyed it. Caneyville is a small town, basically containing one 4-way stop and an IGA (grocery store). It is home to a lot of backwoods people, but not all of them are that way! My sister-in-law lived there for 13 years, and she turned out ok.

As someone else said, it isn't surprising that you hadn't found much about Caneyville online. Truth be told, there really isn't much to find out about it. It is on the south side of Grayson County, about 12 miles from the county seat of Leitchfield. Thanks to recent expansions in Leitchfield (i.e. new bypass), living in Caneyville has actually gotten a bit better, since residents can now more readily use the Western Kentucky Parkway to access necessities (i.e. Wal-Mart). Of course, there is also a curvy and narrow two-lane road that most residents use (US-62).

From Caneyville, you're also only about 40 minutes from Bowling Green, which is a decent-sized city (4th or 5th in Kentucky).

There isn't much in Caneyville, but if you're not aiming for much, then it'll be the perfect place to live. Good luck to your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky