U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM

38 posts, read 67,947 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband & I are trying to narrow down where we would like to relocate our family. We don't feel that where we are(Western NY/PA line) is where we really should be. We both feel drawn to Kentucky.Of course,everyone here thinks we're nuts,but oh well.

Anyways, I was hoping that if I told you a little bit about who we are,that maybe some of you would be able to tell me if Owensboro would be a good fit(or maybe suggest other areas to look into if it's not).

My husband currently works in a food processing plant. He has been there 7 years and has experience from cooking to every aspect of shipping/receiving.He would like to stay in manufacturing and is a blue collar kind of guy. He would never be happy in an office job

I have been a stay at home mom what seems like forever,but since the baby will be in school finally,I want to work and/or go to school. I am worried that since I have very little work experience,that I will have difficulty finding work. In the past I ran my own eBay business and have self taught myself basically everything,but it's not "real work" experience.

Since it's next to impossible to find jobs in KY while still being in NY we are concerned about either of us finding employment. Ideally, we'd like him to land a job before we move the family,but realistically the chances are slim to none.

We are more interested in a family friendly atmosphere. We have no interest in night life,don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones',and want somewhere safe for our kids.Good public schools are a necessity as well as at least one thrift store lol.

We plan to rent before we commit to buy and would need something with 4 bedrooms with at least some kind of yard.Are there usually homes for rent in Owensboro? How much would rent average for a house? What about utilities? Our mortgage here is 750 and utilities average about 200-250 a month which is comfortable for us.Of course,that is on a $40,000 a year income and I've heard that wages are considerably lower.So while I'm at it,if my husband did stay in manufacturing,what kind of wage should he be prepared to make?

I know from my weeks of research that Kentucky has a large,ok huge church going population. We are not religious and do not attend church. Will this plus the fact that we are northerners make it difficult for us and our kids?

Any info good or bad on Owensboro would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions for other towns as well. This forum has to be the friendliest on all of city-data,which I'll admit influenced us a bit.We were torn between Kentucky and Tennesee,but there's just something about this forum that I can't describe-hopefully it's a true reflection of the kind of people we can expect to find in Kentucky Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,513,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcee View Post
Hi. My husband & I are trying to narrow down where we would like to relocate our family. We don't feel that where we are(Western NY/PA line) is where we really should be. We both feel drawn to Kentucky.Of course,everyone here thinks we're nuts,but oh well.

Anyways, I was hoping that if I told you a little bit about who we are,that maybe some of you would be able to tell me if Owensboro would be a good fit(or maybe suggest other areas to look into if it's not).

My husband currently works in a food processing plant. He has been there 7 years and has experience from cooking to every aspect of shipping/receiving.He would like to stay in manufacturing and is a blue collar kind of guy. He would never be happy in an office job

I have been a stay at home mom what seems like forever,but since the baby will be in school finally,I want to work and/or go to school. I am worried that since I have very little work experience,that I will have difficulty finding work. In the past I ran my own eBay business and have self taught myself basically everything,but it's not "real work" experience.

Since it's next to impossible to find jobs in KY while still being in NY we are concerned about either of us finding employment. Ideally, we'd like him to land a job before we move the family,but realistically the chances are slim to none.

We are more interested in a family friendly atmosphere. We have no interest in night life,don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones',and want somewhere safe for our kids.Good public schools are a necessity as well as at least one thrift store lol.

We plan to rent before we commit to buy and would need something with 4 bedrooms with at least some kind of yard.Are there usually homes for rent in Owensboro? How much would rent average for a house? What about utilities? Our mortgage here is 750 and utilities average about 200-250 a month which is comfortable for us.Of course,that is on a $40,000 a year income and I've heard that wages are considerably lower.So while I'm at it,if my husband did stay in manufacturing,what kind of wage should he be prepared to make?

I know from my weeks of research that Kentucky has a large,ok huge church going population. We are not religious and do not attend church. Will this plus the fact that we are northerners make it difficult for us and our kids?

Any info good or bad on Owensboro would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions for other towns as well. This forum has to be the friendliest on all of city-data,which I'll admit influenced us a bit.We were torn between Kentucky and Tennesee,but there's just something about this forum that I can't describe-hopefully it's a true reflection of the kind of people we can expect to find in Kentucky Thanks again!

Just curious. Why Owensboro?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 AM

Is Owensboro a bad choice? We were considering the fact that it is supposed to have a lot of manufacturing and while Louisville has more,we just can't figure out how on earth we could afford to live there or in the surrounding communities with as expensive as housing seems to be.My husband does not want to live right "on top" of people as he calls it and the only housing I could find online that we might be able to afford there were apartments.

If there are other places I should check out as well,I'm definitely interested.That's why I'm here.On paper places can sound great,but the real info comes from those that actually live there.Thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 AM

11,503 posts, read 23,581,749 times
The Owensboro area does have 2 of the state's 3 best school districts (Daviess Co and Hancock Co), but since it is a more industrial city by KY standards a lot of KYians seem not to like it. O'boro's downtown is just average, however it is home to the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame and tons of great Barb-w-q places.

As for Louisville, it is actually quite a cheap place to live, however other than Oldham Co, Shelby Co, and the Eastern Lou suburbs it has most of the state's worst schools.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM

145 posts, read 493,688 times
I wouldn't recommend going to Owensboro with no real job prospects. It is a very difficult place to get a job and the size just doesn't afford a ton of options even in the industrial side of things. That said Owensboro definately has an industrial feel to it and like census said makes it less appealling in my mind and some others. It has the walmarts, targets, etc and the chain resteraunts but you will need to drive to evansville indiana for a decent size mall or more options when shopping. That is about forty five minutes to an hour away. I don't think the church thing is a big deal at all. It isn't mayberry and no one really tends to notice that kind of stuff I believe. It is too big of a city for that kind of thing. I would recommend louisville as well especially coming from NY...Owensboro is ok but it is a dying city. There hasn't been any realy development there in years and it has a run down feel to it. You are off the beating path there which your husband may like but there are plenty of other places in kentucky where you can get away from people and still be minutes from a city or town...just look around louisville or lexington and thirty minutes either way...I could suggest georgetown kentucky. It is 12 miles north of lexington on i-75 and it is the home of the Toyota plant which employees a lot of people in that area. Toyota is a good place to work and treats its employees well from what I have heard. Look up some info on georgetown. It has a rural feel but is only 12 miles from lexington and right on the interstate. If industrial is your husbands cup of tea he would be hard pressed to find a better industrial job in the state than at the toyota plant. That would be my best bet if I were you but do yourself a favor and don't move to owensboro unless you look at it first and then some other places in the state.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Now this is what I'm talking about! Owensboro looks great on paper,but to hear real opinions of those not interested in drawing people to the town is where you get your real information I am interested in Louisville,but the rent or home prices for a decent sized house are pretty scary when compared to what I'm used to.

Georgetown looks awesome and definitely fits what we are looking for. So what's the inside scoop on Georgetown? The hubby and I plan to spend a week in KY in the beginning of the year,so we are really trying to narrow down our search location.Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,513,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcee View Post
Now this is what I'm talking about! Owensboro looks great on paper,but to hear real opinions of those not interested in drawing people to the town is where you get your real information I am interested in Louisville,but the rent or home prices for a decent sized house are pretty scary when compared to what I'm used to.

Georgetown looks awesome and definitely fits what we are looking for. So what's the inside scoop on Georgetown? The hubby and I plan to spend a week in KY in the beginning of the year,so we are really trying to narrow down our search location.Thanks again!
Georgetown is not bad. Nothing special IMO. It is growing fast and is mostly blue collar, with a large and growing Hispanic population.

if you want to live in a smaller town close to Lexington, I would look at Danville, Berea, Versailles, or Nicholasville.

Personally, I am partial to the Louisville MSA. Because it is so much more populated than anywhere lese in the state, there are more job opportunites. Some smaller towns you may enjoy are Crestwood, La Grange, Shelbyville, Shepherdsville, and Mount Washington. All of these feel like small towns but they are basically exurban areas of a major metro area.

Elizabethtown-Radcliff would also be a great option. Owensboro is not bad but it has a lot of inustrial decay and near stagnant growth, so it may be tough getting a job. I would try getting a job there first if that's where you want to be.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM

145 posts, read 493,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Georgetown is not bad. Nothing special IMO. It is growing fast and is mostly blue collar, with a large and growing Hispanic population.

if you want to live in a smaller town close to Lexington, I would look at Danville, Berea, Versailles, or Nicholasville.

Personally, I am partial to the Louisville MSA. Because it is so much more populated than anywhere lese in the state, there are more job opportunites. Some smaller towns you may enjoy are Crestwood, La Grange, Shelbyville, Shepherdsville, and Mount Washington. All of these feel like small towns but they are basically exurban areas of a major metro area.

Elizabethtown-Radcliff would also be a great option. Owensboro is not bad but it has a lot of inustrial decay and near stagnant growth, so it may be tough getting a job. I would try getting a job there first if that's where you want to be.
She said she is looking for a place that is "away" from things so the "it is so much more populated" might now meet their needs. Georgetown has everything you described and if lexington isn't big enough for you being only fifteen minutes away then get on 75 north and be in Cincinnati in forty five minutes. You will not find anything cheap in Crestwood or most of oldham country which is next to louisville. Georgetown has plenty of land, cheap homes, beautiful scenery, farms and is only fifteen minutes away from lexington, forty five minutes from Cincy and about an hour and ten minutes from Louisville.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM

8,754 posts, read 9,587,832 times
You might also check out the Bowling Green area which is in southcentral Kentucky. Bowling Green has recently been named no. 12 on Forbes list of best small metropolitan cities to work and do business in. We ranked highest on job growth. Renting a four bedroom house in Bowling Green for $750.00 would be difficult to find, but you could look in some of the outlying areas where rent is cheaper. Bowling Green and Warren County have some very good schools also, just depending on the area you choose to live in. This is the Bible Belt so there are a lot of churches and church goers, but there are also many nonattenders and that is not an issue. Attending church is a good way to meet people in the area for newcomers though, but that is a personal choice that would be respected either way.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM

Don't get me wrong,I would love to try Louisville and see if it's as great as I think it is. My husband is used to small town rural life and has no desire to live in the city.He considers a big city to be more than a population of 30,000.The town we live in now only has 2,000,so if it would just stop snowing from November through May and if the people were nicer he'd be in heaven right here lol.

I do know that if he was able to find a decent paying job in Louisville and a home with a nice yard in a friendly neighborhood that he would do just fine.

The bottom line is that we need to find somewhere where the jobs are available and the neighborhoods are safe.We finally agreed upon the state,but haven't really decided on a target area.Of course,we need to get our house on the market and sold first so we still have time and any suggestions from people that know the area are extremely helpful.It's just been difficult because we've pretty much fallen in love with all of Kentucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>