Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times

Advertisements

Oh, I'm glad to hear that there are cheap farmer's markets in some places. The farmer's markets in Lexington are very expensive. Those are the only ones I have any experience with. I always bought vegetables there just to be supportive, but it sure didn't save any money. The tomatoes are AWESOME though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
But it's CHEAPER to buy a frozen pizza for $1.50 than fresh fruits and vegetables. Yes, food stamps will buy the fresh fruits and vegetables, but they'll go further in convenience foods.

Also, I am sorry to disagree, but much of Kentucky has that light-colored hard clay soil, and it can be difficult to grow things in. I know this from experience. Of course it's doable, but again, many of these folks are operating from an attitude of defeat (and they don't know how to do things). It's quite a multi-faceted problem. No grit, no home training, no knowledge how to do things, combined with cheap easy convenience foods and a TV culture.

None of these things are unique to Kentucky by any means - it's a problem in many places.

It isn't difficult to grow in as long as you tend it. I haven't had any problems growing anything and neither did my grandpa. You just have to be careful to take good care of it.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
My mother's side of the family farmed Kentucky land back through many generations dating back into the early 1800's. There is no problem growing most anything in the soil in south central Kentucky and if you can't there are farmers markets everywhere, vegetables, when they are in season are extremely cheap. You are right that it comes down to no home training and no grit. IMO people are just getting so lazy, no one cooks a meal anymore. They feed their kids chicken nuggets and tater tots and then wonder why they are obese at 11.
I completely agree! I think it is more about the convenience/laziness than anything. I have seen babies with kool-aid in their bottles many times

Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 AM

73 posts, read 219,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I hate to disagree but food stamps will buy fresh fruits and vegetables, good proteins, and low fat dairy just like they do frozen pizza and french fries. Also, Kentucky has a great climate for growing your own fruits and vegetables and seeds are cheap. People are just too lazy to cook healthy foods and eat all of this overprocessed, frozen junk. I know some ladies who volunteered in a thrift store and food bank ran by the Catholic church in town, they said people would come in asking for money and they would tell them they did not give money but would give them food and clothing, when they offered them flour, corn meal, dried beans, milk, eggs, oats, grits and such they said what are we supposed to do with this? That is the mentality of the population today. They want McDonald's or Pizza Hut not food they have to cook.
You could give me all the seeds in the world and in a couple of YEARS I MIGHT be able to grow something. That's just no something I know how to do. To be perfectly honest, if you handed me flour, corn meal, milk oats, grits, and dried beans I wouldn't know what to make with that either.

I'd have a very hard time coming up with a meal. Also I'd like to point out it's a carb heavy meal that could fill you up, but offers little nutritional value. Another instance of poor people becoming fat.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I completely agree! I think it is more about the convenience/laziness than anything. I have seen babies with kool-aid in their bottles many times
Now that is a pet peeve of mine, my sister did it and she was breastfeeding. She did know better (because I told her ) but I do think a lot of people just DO NOT know better

Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 AM

145 posts, read 518,574 times
The bottom line is that people need to make things happen for themselves not sit back and expect the government to do it for them. We aren't owed anything.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbmom View Post

Not all women who come into an abortion clinic are firm in their decision to kill their child. Shouldn't they be as informed as possible about such a monumental decision? Especially since a woman who has made such a decision will quite possibly spend the rest of her life tormented over the fact that she killed her baby.

You know what, she absolutely be as informed as possible. Is it the state's responsibility to inform them? Not to mention the HUNDREDS of senarios that drive someone TO abortion. What about the woman who is trying to get away from an abusive husband? Or the 18yo who was date raped? She's then expected to live her life in poverty and on food stamps, and she becomes shunned for that too.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It isn't difficult to grow in as long as you tend it. I haven't had any problems growing anything and neither did my grandpa. You just have to be careful to take good care of it.
I understand. I notice that you and Dixie Girl (and myself) have parents and grandparents who have handed down the growing-vegetable lore. Many of the folks who don't know how, don't know how because they haven't been taught.

Sandman is also correct in that none of us are owed anything.

The bottom line is that people do not grow gardens because they don't know how. And although it is of course possible to grow gardens in Kentucky, there is a reason why people kept moving on from Kentucky back in frontier days - and the reason most-often cited was that the soil is somewhat poor and hard to work. Add to this the problem that many people have been raised to watch eat junk food in front of the television, and voila, you have a situation where gardens are simply not considered as a food source by many.

I agree that it would be better if people were growing gardens.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Gee folks

I am hardly rich-living in one of the richest states in the nation- but there are caveats
eastern Connecticut is poor- very removed from the New York environment of southwestern CT near New York city.

My mother has Alzheimer's- I have been the only care giver for 4 years- well we eat a healthy diet- I go to the gym 4 days a week- and at 6'4" tall at 185 pounds- and do not smoke-I do not need to be lectured about 'personal responsibility'

Oh yes I am a gay man---I do not need the far right and their hypocritical minions to lecture me about 'personal responsibility and family' I have done it all---- Democrats and republicans- take your nation back.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlinggreenorbust View Post
You could give me all the seeds in the world and in a couple of YEARS I MIGHT be able to grow something. That's just no something I know how to do. To be perfectly honest, if you handed me flour, corn meal, milk oats, grits, and dried beans I wouldn't know what to make with that either.

I'd have a very hard time coming up with a meal. Also I'd like to point out it's a carb heavy meal that could fill you up, but offers little nutritional value. Another instance of poor people becoming fat.

Dried beans are very high in protein and low in fat and eggs are a rich source of protein also. Oats are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates. Flour, corn meal and grits are staples that you cook with not foods you sit down and eat a big bowl of for a meal. I grew up in a family eating these foods (in addition to fresh fruits, vegetables and protiens) all my life and none of us have a weight problem. My cholestral is also very low. You make a good point in saying you would not know what to do with these foods, I think the best thing we could do is make lifeskills classes mandatory in schools for girls and boys. Home Ec was mandatory when I was in school and it should be now. I learned a lot in those classes as well as at home from my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky