U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times

Advertisements

I went to see my grandmother at 83 who still lively and fiesty in the heart of the Kentucky mountains near the town of Cutshin, Kentucky.
The town was named after a coal miner who fell and cut his shin crossing a creek.
Here is small sample of what it looks like in one place you do not have to worry about light pollution and buying store bought fruits and vegatables is unheard of because you grow your own and you buy American brand cars.
http://www.city-data.com/county/Leslie_County-KY.html

Here is a video I did of the area just click it

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-10-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 PM

820 posts, read 1,887,790 times
That's a lovely testimony to family. What a treasure that will be for generations to come! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,206,691 times
I have been to Cutshin several times. There is so much history in that area. Your video is nice!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM

200 posts, read 503,298 times
I loved the video! Made me wanna go to cutshin. I know Benham and Lynch very well, in fact my best friends car and house was in your video lol.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,569,616 times
Beautiful! I grew up in the Midwest. Thanks for the memories!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,207,413 times
This was great. Reminds me a lot of where my parents grew up in Southwest Virginia (Wise County). This made me miss my grandparents very much.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
That's a lovely testimony to family. What a treasure that will be for generations to come! Thanks for sharing!!
It is but Im getting scared now that I am getting much older and know at some point it time for my grandmother time to go will happen that my share of family in the area might come to an end.
Then again my grandmother is 83 and her mom lived to 104 so she might be around another 20 years.
I do think that healthy home grown vegetables and going to church weekly help in her longivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I have been to Cutshin several times. There is so much history in that area. Your video is nice!
As an adult I appreciate the area more than I did as a kid.
It a great place to enjoy nature and I cannot describe the friendly attitude there but it is amazing.
I was hoping the Leslie County Times had an online version but they had a picture of an 8 point on each side Elk on the cover.

I thought that clinic was cute and says alot about small town life. Where at my age I tend to look for the modern doctors offices.
That clinic had a long lower floor and a wrap around porch that the nurse would take the patience to do basic checkup like reflexes and such.
I thought that was very serene. Behind the clinic was a trail and a garden and the trail led to a creek below to listen to the brook.

You are so right about so much history in the area and I love when Grandmother shares her and my grandfather slice in it. Or my mom telling me how she met my late dad who was a physican for the coal miners back in the day.
I remember as a kid my mom telling me stories about how she had to walk to school etc and I always thought it was one of them older generation stories but I can see by the rugged terrain of the area how that was possible.

I love how I was standing outside the IGA in Hyden that people would randomly approach you and tell you about things going on around the area , local news or their life happenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
I loved the video! Made me wanna go to cutshin. I know Benham and Lynch very well, in fact my best friends car and house was in your video lol.
To funny we should wear t shirts that says " I survived Lynch Mountain.
I tried to capture what it was like going around that mountain but I guess it better to just experience it especially when you meet a 18 wheel coal truck going in the other direction or the worse getting behind one going up or down it.
I always thought that was the best mountain to find sober drivers because if you can drink and drive on that mountain then you must be pretty sober lol
I have been on many mountain roads that is the top of list for most curviest and some what scary lol.
I would love to go back in time to see Benham and Lynch in their prime days.
They both are really cute and I would love to live in a city built on that concept. If there was more things to do in that area and little more shopping options it would be the ideal community.
Depending on how the weather is that area is so cute decked out around the holidays.
Btw if your best friend told you that they was going to be driving away last Saturday they are busted lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Beautiful! I grew up in the Midwest. Thanks for the memories!
Summers in the area is great when you find a local clean water swimming hole with water coming off one of the mountains but the Autumn season is spectacular . Color just surrounds you.
Winter can be fun if you are very careful . The water going down the side of the mountains forms some beautiful big icicles and of course if you get snowed in that is ok because you will get alot of it and looking at the snow covered mountains makes you think you are in the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
This was great. Reminds me a lot of where my parents grew up in Southwest Virginia (Wise County). This made me miss my grandparents very much.
Wise County is my favorite county to go through from Charlotte NC to Cutshin KY. I love driving hwy 58.
My mom likes to go further south on 421 to Bristol but riding on 58 from Appalachia to Abington is so much fun with those smooth 4 lane curves and it is beautiful country to look at.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
my family are the Adams. Grannypop lived right above cutshin creek on the hill. There is a graveyard near the house with friends and family. I miss grannypop. She died when she was 83. I was about 9 or maybe a little older. My momma was Alberty Adams. I am Dorothy Norman. Grannypops name was polly coots. She had a sister named sarah who lived across from the creek in a field. It would be nice to talk and learn about my family back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky