Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't know what part of Ky. you live in ? We all know that KY. beautiful for there horses,bluegrass but be honest there are counties that are still a--backwards with race if you have money,horses,an friends you can make it here in Ky. but be for real Ky. is still a commonwealth state don't try to paint a pretty picture for everyone still alot of old ways here rest my case Im sure you don't have any problems in your whiteworld.
Ah I get it, we're all rich, white, horse farm owners that look down our noises at outsiders and minorities all while drinking mint juleps from our veranda overlooking the plantation and everything is hunky-dory.

I think that's it ... now excuse me Scarlett whilest I fitch myself another sweet tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM

80 posts, read 277,603 times
curious....could you define what is your idea of regressive and backwards....not looking to start an argument or anything...but i am a sociology major and curious what your concept of those two adjectives is.....grey

Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 PM

58 posts, read 140,679 times
From Davart: Did you bother to read the "ABOUT" page as to where the term comes from and that it crosses all racial and economic boundaries, it's a mindset of people sick and tired of pulling there weight while the the able bodied slackers get a free ride.

From Dlyve: We all know that KY. beautiful for there horses,bluegrass but be honest there are counties that are still a--backwards with race if you have money,horses,an friends you can make it here in Ky.

The use of the word "there" instead of "their" in the two posts above are exactly what Visvaldis is talking about.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 11,400 times
Default Bleh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokygirl View Post
From Davart: Did you bother to read the "ABOUT" page as to where the term comes from and that it crosses all racial and economic boundaries, it's a mindset of people sick and tired of pulling there weight while the the able bodied slackers get a free ride.

From Dlyve: We all know that KY. beautiful for there horses,bluegrass but be honest there are counties that are still a--backwards with race if you have money,horses,an friends you can make it here in Ky.

The use of the word "there" instead of "their" in the two posts above are exactly what Visvaldis is talking about.
Perhaps your "are" should actually be "is?" Of course, I am sure silly mistakes over the internet in your case are not reflective of anything...

Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM

58 posts, read 140,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestwardGoes... View Post
Perhaps your "are" should actually be "is?" Of course, I am sure silly mistakes over the internet in your case are not reflective of anything...
l

Yes, you are correct about my usage of the word "are" instead of "is". Thank you .

Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that is known as the pot calling the kettle black, or what I like to call poetic justice.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM

63 posts, read 188,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Of course Kentucky isn't regressive and backward, but every part of the country has its prejudices about other parts. It helps people to feel better about their problems, if they can look down on someone else. So the folks in the Northeast can feel that way if they like - I just say, "whatever".
Prejudice
I live in ne Mo., and the Iowans across the line think we are all hill billies. One time when I was in my doctor's office in Iowa, he jokingly raised up my foot and said "Oh I see they do wear shoes is Missouri." At the time I was wearing a very expensive, stylish pair of shoes.
When I went to the St. Louis area to work, everyone from St. Louis thought the out staters were hill billies, and they had never even been outside of their area, so what did they know. Of course they didn't think I was, although I was from an outstate rural town. I was far more intelligent than any of them and had a very prestigious job in a legal department. I am an 11th generation American, and many of them were 3rd generation of immigrants.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:51 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
Prejudice
I live in ne Mo., and the Iowans across the line think we are all hill billies. One time when I was in my doctor's office in Iowa, he jokingly raised up my foot and said "Oh I see they do wear shoes is Missouri." At the time I was wearing a very expensive, stylish pair of shoes.
When I went to the St. Louis area to work, everyone from St. Louis thought the out staters were hill billies, and they had never even been outside of their area, so what did they know. Of course they didn't think I was, although I was from an outstate rural town. I was far more intelligent than any of them and had a very prestigious job in a legal department. I am an 11th generation American, and many of them were 3rd generation of immigrants.
FWIW I used to be an "Iowan across the line" and don't think and never have thought "all from MO are hillbillies". Maybe it's prejudice to think all Iowans across the line think that way?

I do wonder what "11th generation American" vs "3rd generation of immigrants" has to do with intelligence?

Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Oh great, so now this has turned into an Iowa vs Missouri thread?? How did that happen?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:12 PM

114 posts, read 243,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, Kentucky is kind'a backwards. When the people of a state think their university exists for the purpose of fielding basketball teams, that's backwards. And when the guy who hands out the towels for that team dies and it's front page news for FOUR goddam days, that's backwards.
FOUR days? He must have been one popular guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky