Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Don't you think that is a little melodramatic? Calling yourself "African-American" is akin to attempting suicide??????? Get a grip. Are you implying that the poster would be in danger in Leitchfield if he refered to himself as African-American? I think you have helped him greatly in making his decision, he should thank you.
While I certainly do appreciate rnc76 jumping in and offering some assistance, I have to say I'd much rather this didn't turn into the "let's all jump on tomocox" show as some threads often do when the opinions of one don't match the opinions of others. I think what he was getting at is don't come into Leitchfield or Kentucky with attitude of "they hate black people so keep your guard up". Which would be self-destructive or akin to putting a gun to one's head.
With that said, this is for tomocox...I can assure you that my fiance' and I are quite comfortable in our own skins and never have I had a problem fitting in anywhere. This wasn't a question of will I fit in because I will, but will the community be accepting of something out of the norm. Which you and some of the others have made very clear to me. And I thank you for being so frank. And I'm certain you have been able to discern there is no problem with lack of education.
We are looking to move within the first quarter of 2009 and when I get there we'll have to meet and have coffee or something. I definitely won't be to hard to find, we'll be the "mixed couple from the big city". LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM

631 posts, read 1,879,020 times
I was born and raised in Leitchfield and to be honest I do think you will probably face some issues as an interracial couple. Its not as bad as it used to be but I have some very vivid memories from my childhood. Not everyone there is racist but there are still alot of closed minds. When I graduated from GCHS in '95 I think there was one or two black students in the entire school. It is very much a rural bible belt community. I have no doubt that you will make friends but it could take a bit of time. I'm not trying to discourage you from moving but just offering a perspective from someone who grew up there.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,259,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Don't you think that is a little melodramatic? Calling yourself "African-American" is akin to attempting suicide??????? Get a grip. Are you implying that the poster would be in danger in Leitchfield if he refered to himself as African-American? I think you have helped him greatly in making his decision, he should thank you.
Yes, calling oneself any hypenated-American is a form of financial and career suicide. Stop and think about it, the only reason to identify oneself as other than American is to either look for or place pity. We call ourselves Euro-American or Irish American or Anglo-American. Anytime a hyphen is used it causes separation. So you get economic suicide.

But I belabor my point. Fact is most Americans don't care what happens to another person unless it makes them look better. Note I said "most" Americans. If you are truly different, then you know I didn't include you.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,775,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, calling oneself any hypenated-American is a form of financial and career suicide. Stop and think about it, the only reason to identify oneself as other than American is to either look for or place pity. We call ourselves Euro-American or Irish American or Anglo-American. Anytime a hyphen is used it causes separation. So you get economic suicide.

But I belabor my point. Fact is most Americans don't care what happens to another person unless it makes them look better. Note I said "most" Americans. If you are truly different, then you know I didn't include you.
Perhaps in rural KY it is financial and career suicide, that in and of itself is telling. In most larger metros around the country, I don't think people would really care if a person chooses call themselves AA or black. I personally use the term black with my black friends and acquaintances because that is the term they use and I feel AA is awkward sounding. However, I am not presumptuous enough to get ticked off and demand they call themselves black or American or whatever.

I'm not sure what your second comment means or what it pertains to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky