Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 75,442 times

Advertisements

This site and forum are great. I have read alot of good info and gathered ranging opinions about many areas in Ky.

My wife and I wish to move to a new area from PA. We are looking for that small town appeal with some land for the outdoor activites that we love, but yet with a reasonable commute to work. We love to garden, ride the atv, take walks/hike and meet nice people. I am ready to move yesterday, but my wife is hesitant because of my stepson. He is 14, an excellent student and beginning to become more sociable. He is starting to hang out with friends, think of girls and talk on the phone/computer. We had always talked about waiting until he graduates, mainly because he is in one of the best school systems in the area. To make it more difficult, he sees his father a few times a week. Though I appreciate that fact, his father is teaching him his selfish side. I think a move to an area with a different mindset would benefit him as well as my wife and I. People in the north in general are very selfish and negative not to mention the cost of living is high and the job market poor.

Anyway based on the info I have found, I think we are looking at the areas around Lexington. Does anyone have any 'info' they think we would be helpful? Anyone think I am being selfish in wanting to move now? I'm not one to normally ask for outside opinions, but there seem to be some very genuine and inciteful people here and I am curious about some outside views on our 'situation'. Thank you in advance for anyone who would like to share their views and have a great day.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM

17 posts, read 48,419 times
I would recommend the Louisville area. If you are concerned about schools, Oldham County has some of the best schools in the nation. It is right outside Louisville and has lots of nice areas. It is more "rural" than Louisville or Lexington, but is a short drive into Louisville. Check it out.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM

This may be too much to ask for but we were hoping to get some land with it for a reasonable price. (2-5 acres). We would like to find a one-story and I fear being to close to the cities drives the price up too much, or at least that's what it appears in the properties I have seen so far. Do you or anyone else feel this is accurate? Anyway thank you for responding.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 AM

850 posts, read 3,152,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghog69 View Post
This may be too much to ask for but we were hoping to get some land with it for a reasonable price. (2-5 acres). We would like to find a one-story and I fear being to close to the cities drives the price up too much, or at least that's what it appears in the properties I have seen so far. Do you or anyone else feel this is accurate? Anyway thank you for responding.
You are correct. The closer into some areas - Louisville for example - you will find high prices for that valued land. If land is what you seek - try going south of Louisville, or more Northeast. The farther out you are, the more affordable real estate becomes - but you are still somewhat close to the things you need. Be prepared to drive 10 to 15 miles to get to a Walmart, etc. and the Big malls are located in Louuisville or Lexington.

With land on your mind - I suggest you first begin your search on-line with google, or your favorite search engine. Begin checking with Bullitt (Mt. Washington and Shepherdsville), Oldham(Lagrange, Crestwood and more), Shelby(Shelbyville), Spencer(Taylorsville - very affordable area with land and relatively close to interstae system), Hardin( Elizabethtown) and Nelson(Bardstown) Counties. All are relatively close to Louisville - within a 45 to 50 minute drive give or take - and will meet your day to day needs. Look at the local newspapers online (they will be listed), Get a feel for the area - then you can search more efficiently - digging into the other things you seek.

A good start would be a google search for, lets say, Oldham County or Lagrange. Check the google map which will pop up so you can get your bearings from Louisville. You can then branch out and look at maps, connect with local listings and go from there.

I think you will find exactly what you are looking for - it just may take a little time. Oh, and there are many small towns in between - don't discount them - as they often have larger plots of land and are still within driving distance.

Happy searching! Kimmiey

Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM

15 posts, read 74,726 times
I would recommend the Elizabethtown, Radcliff and Louisville area. If you are concerned about schools, Hardin County has some of the best schools in the nation. Check it out.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 58,231 times
Default Hopkinsville-Christian County

I'd encourage you to consider Hopkinsville-Christian County. It's only an hour from Nashville, TN and less than an hour from several other major communities. So, you have an easy drive to many choices.

Hopkinsville is small, right at 30,000 people and our cost of living is very competitive. We're close to Land Between the Lakes, Pennyrile Forest State Park, and several other outdoors opportunities.

Life moves a little slower. Cost of acreage is affordable and housing market is strong.

Check out www.movetohopkinsville.com for more information.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM

246 posts, read 1,054,435 times
Default highliner

To GHOG69: You mentioned Lexington-Fayette Urban County as a point of interest, and I think you're off to a good start. Forget about Oldham or Hardin counties, one has Buckner and the other is a "factory town" kind of place. Neither is anywhere close to Lex. For semi-rural land at a good price, yet still conveniently close to us, you would be well-advised ( and I DO say so myself) to search around Paris in Bourbon county, or Georgetown in Scott county, or my favorite, our capitol city of Frankfort in Franklin county. The latter two have immediate access to interstate highways (I75 and I64, respectively), but the former is very picturesque, and connects to Lex via a newly modernized four lane US68. I hope you'll find this to be helpful.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
To GHOG69: You mentioned Lexington-Fayette Urban County as a point of interest, and I think you're off to a good start. Forget about Oldham or Hardin counties, one has Buckner and the other is a "factory town" kind of place. Neither is anywhere close to Lex. For semi-rural land at a good price, yet still conveniently close to us, you would be well-advised ( and I DO say so myself) to search around Paris in Bourbon county, or Georgetown in Scott county, or my favorite, our capitol city of Frankfort in Franklin county. The latter two have immediate access to interstate highways (I75 and I64, respectively), but the former is very picturesque, and connects to Lex via a newly modernized four lane US68. I hope you'll find this to be helpful.
Hi! I am curious as to why you would direct him to stay away from Oldham county - Buckner? What do you find bad about that area?

Also - why do you consider Elizabethtown to be a 'Factory' town?

Just curious and would like to clarify. Thanks!

And to GHOG69 - hope your search is going well - Lexington is a wonderful place - and you do not have to drive far to reach the country! Beautiful place!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Thank you all for your helpful information.

The search is going well (and it has been going on for a while now). I think we are close to getting our plans together. There are many nice areas in Ky as I have found from researching, but we need to narrow down our choices in the interest of time. I really like the land around Lexington in cost and proximity. Richmond and Berea seem to be really popular with residents here and I can see why. We have found homes in both areas that we would like to view. I have researched schools in these areas as well as Louisville, Danville, Elizabethtown and Bowling Green. I really like Berea's 'offer' of free college if anyone can comment on that. The 'arts and crafts' towns really excite my wife. I am eager to get away from the hustle and bustle, meet some friendly new people and have a nice big yard in which to grow my garden. Here is to hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 AM

Get in touch with suncoastman - he has done extensive research on Berea = and you cab check out http://www.berea.edu/ - this is the college info.
I had some friends who did that - and I think it has something to do with workstudy/craft, art production - that sort of thing. It is an excellent college.

So glad you have found some areas you like. I'll be going to Somerset to day via Danville - and I can tell you Danville is a neat little town, too, but you are not going wrong with Berea. I myself wouldn't mind relocating there. Alot of little towns around that slow you down and MAKE you relax.

Have a wonderful search. Hope the site helps. KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky