U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 12,415,940 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Maybe they enjoy teams that win, you ever think of that?
All-Time Series: Chicago Vs. Green Gay : Chicago leads 91–80–6

Last ten games:Chicago Vs. Green Gay: Chicago has won 7 of last 10



The Cardinals are going to walk all over the Steelers buddy.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 3,876,459 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Be gone TROLL. We are sick of you in the Chicago Forum. You have a mental problem. Stop following me to other forums you twit.
Use the ignore feature... it works sooooo well!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 12,415,940 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
But....Lexington and Louisville aren'ty really comprable either, and you are mentioning them like they are the same thing. Louisville is nearly 3 times larger than Lexington, just as Chicago is 5 times larger than Louisville. There are some loose associations between Louisville and Chicago. Mainly, both are cities of neighborhoods, and each neighborhood has such a different flavor that you almost need to live in each to get an idea. Each has working class industrial hoods with taverns on every corner, and each city has a strong Irish and German heritage, among others. In some ways, I can loosly associate Louisville neighborhoods with Chicago ones, just on a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller scale of course and with a southern twist.

That said, the Highlands has a Lincoln Park vibe, Germantown is like Wicker Park in parts, Old Louisville is like Old Towne, East Main/Market are like the West Loop, St Matthews is like Evanston, etc. The west end is like a smaller, southern version of the south side (minus Hyde Park of course). The thing that gives Chicago its identity for me anyways is not the skyscrapers in the Loop with corporate mongers, but it is the neighborhoods, and independent art and restaurant scene. And that is where Louisville also excels, albeit at a much smaller level! Louisville's Highlands has steet festivals in the summer very similar to ones you'd find in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. There are lots of other loose associations, and the emphasis is on LOOSE, because Chicago is clearly a different animal compared to Louisville!

I have seen a couple cities 5-10 times smaller than Louisville that remind me of it, namely Bloomington, IN.

So, if there is anywhere in KY where a Chicagoan could be comfortable with at least a taste of his former life, it is Louisville, and absolutely no where else in KY. This is coming from a guy who spent much of my life in Chicago.
Look. Louisville might be closer to Chicago (in very micro and rare levels) than any other place in Kentucky, but comparing the two is still akin to comparing an Apple to an Orange.

When was the last time you have REALLY been in Chicago and traveled around? Much has changed in the last 5-15 years.

I have no ill will or attitude towards Kentucky (or Louisville in specific), but there is no way anyone can honestly say that a Chicagoan would feel right at home in Louisville if taking in consideration how much Louisville is like Chicago. If a former Chicagoan feels at home in Louisville it is for other reasons than any remote similarities Louisville might have with Chicago.

God Bless.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-27-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 12,415,940 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Use the ignore feature... it works sooooo well!!
Nah. I like ripping on him. He is an easy target. I think he likes it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,108 posts, read 1,016,348 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
All-Time Series: Chicago Vs. Green Gay : Chicago leads 91806

Last ten games:Chicago Vs. Green Gay: Chicago has won 7 of last 10



The Cardinals are going to walk all over the Steelers buddy.

Im not out to hijack this thread but I have to defend my team

Chicago Bears all time NFL championships including Super Bowls: 8 NFL championships and 1 Super Bowl

Green Bay Packers: 11 NFL championships and 3 Super Bowls
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 12,415,940 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Im not out to hijack this thread but I have to defend my team

Chicago Bears all time NFL championships including Super Bowls: 8 NFL championships and 1 Super Bowl

Green Bay Packers: 11 NFL championships and 3 Super Bowls
Yeah. That might be true. You still need to explain to me how you are a Packers fan if you grew up in Chicago.

I do not want to hijack the thread either, but as long as nobody objects to this short exchange I would like to follow it to completion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 AM
 
3,792 posts, read 7,908,887 times
Reputation: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Look. Louisville might be closer to Chicago (in very micro and rare levels) than any other place in Kentucky, but comparing the two is still akin to comparing an Apple to an Orange.

When was the last time you have REALLY been in Chicago and traveled around? Much has changed in the last 5-15 years.

I have no ill will or attitude towards Kentucky (or Louisville in specific), but there is no way anyone can honestly say that a Chicagoan would feel right at home in Louisville if taking in consideration how much Louisville is like Chicago. If a former Chicagoan feels at home in Louisville it is for other reasons than any remote similarities Louisville might have with Chicago.

God Bless.
Im in Chicago almost monthly. Im very aware, grew up there. I just dont think you know Louisville as well as you think. Louisville, like Chicago, is a city of neighborhoods which retain fierce identities and vitalities. While it is clearly apples and oranges, and there are few comparisons, a Chicagoan (like myself) is very comfortable in the urban, walkable, historically significant and distinct neighborhoods in Louisville. This type of vibe is not even remotely evident anywhere else in KY, save for parts of Covington. Many casual visitors to Louisville miss this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 08:54 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 3,876,459 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville, like Chicago, is a city of neighborhoods which retain fierce identities and vitalities. While it is clearly apples and oranges, and there are few comparisons, a Chicagoan (like myself) is very comfortable in the urban, walkable, historically significant and distinct neighborhoods in Louisville. This type of vibe is not even remotely evident anywhere else in KY, save for parts of Covington.
All very true.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Owensboro, KY
14 posts, read 27,738 times
Reputation: 16
No city in KY is anywhere NEAR the same as Chicago. Not even in the same league
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,431,733 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkr785 View Post
No city in KY is anywhere NEAR the same as Chicago. Not even in the same league
Oh, darn
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top