Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,357 times

Advertisements

My husband and I visited Kentucky about 2 years ago and fell in love. We now plan to retire there. We have seen some nice homes on the internet in Hodgenville that meet our needs and price range, but I can't find much information about the town other than straight statistical stuff. Of what I did find-I've read one post that is very positive, and one post that was very negative-so I'm not sure what to think.

Can anyone else help us out with more information? Both my husband and I are both originally from very small southern towns, so we know we won't find the same spectrum of amenities there, as there are in larger towns, but what we are looking for is a friendly, safe town that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live in.

How are the utility costs? Does it have internet service? Is it really hot and humid in the summer? (Or should I say exactly how hot and humid is it?) Is friendly and will "take in" and tolerate new people? (That is, do they smile at you when you pass on the street and would they help you if you had a flat tire? Do they know your name at the bank and grocery store? That kind of thing.)

We are pretty much home bodies who occasionally take an evening out to someplace with good food and down to earth atmosphere. (My husband hates what he calls "trend-a-rama food" so new, exciting, cutting-edge restaurants are not a high priority.) We aren't tremendously social, so we aren't looking for that kind of we-have-to-be-doing-something-ever- minute, external social stimulation. Other than that, our needs are not that demanding. We read, we write, we internet, we garden, we take pictures, we do some artistic things, we enjoy each others company. (Some people would call us dull, we just think of ourselves as self-contained!) We are just looking for a comfortable, friendly, safe, small town with a nice house we can make into a home. Would Hodgenville be a good place for us to consider?

Any observations and comments would really be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,799 times
We have only been liiving here for 4mths and need to relocate again. Everyone in this town is very friendly, and yes our bank does know me by name.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 9,033 times
Hodgenville is a nice, small town. It's only 10-12 minutes into Elizabethtown, a much larger town that has a mall, Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc...you can get internet there through at least Windstream, I'm not sure who else provides it. I am moving from Elizabethtown to Glasgow with my husband's job, but outside of his time in the Marines I have always lived in Kentucky.
It's pretty hot and humid in the summer, our electric bill is never terrible (of course we lived in California for awhile when he was in the Marines! so we have seen high bills there!). Cost of living, housing, everything is very reasonable. There are not a lot of restaurants in Hodgenville but again you're close to Elizabethtown and about an hour from Louisville. Glendale is a neat area with a few small, charming places to eat. All in all it's a nice area to live!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM

63 posts, read 313,529 times
Utility costs are pretty low. KU supposedly has the lowest electric rates in the USA. Internet service is available via dsl and cable. Very hot and humid in the summer. Very friendly people (common throughout Ky). Very small town atmosphere. Essentially a bedroom community for Elizabethtown, but a nice place to live.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Hodgenville

Thank you for your information on Hodgenville, I really appreciate it. It is very encouraging. We will certainly keep it near the top of places we are considering!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 21,632 times
I am 27 soon to be 28 years old , and grew up in Hodgenville all my life . I lived in the same home for 15 years , up by the old Elem. School . Hodgenville has really not changed in the past 27 years , its all pretty much the same . However the small quiet town is overwhelmed with good hearted people , with the same values as everyone else living there . There is not much to do for children , and teens you will half to travel to Elizabethtown or Louisville to find things for them to do . However if you are looking for the best people who will do anything for you , then Hodgenville is your town . Depending on where you live your electric bill will range from 80 -200 . If you choose to live out in the country and not in the city of Hodgenville you will be billed through NOLIN ELECTRIC , the city dweelers mostly have KU ELECTRIC . Ku is alot cheaper .
As for your weather .... Kentucky is VERY humid , on summer days its very hard to stand or do work outside for longer then a couple of hours . But the summer nights tend to cool down , to where you can sit outside and enjoy yourself . There is a local pool , a golfcourse , 2 supermarkets , a dollar store , a family dollars store , a Rite Aide , A Pamida ( sorta like a Big lots or a small K-mart ... a baseball park , and of course the Abe Lincoln Park . They recently redone the downtown area where the Abe Lincoln statue sits , it use to be a square , and now it is a circle . Makes it alot nicer if you ask me .
People are usually kind to the newcomers , unless of course your from some big city lol thinking you can come in and redo or make your voice heard lol . There is not alot of crime , its mostly just a fight or something if that , and the only time that really happens is on the weekend . And trust me ... If someone was sent to jail , or arrested you WILL no about it . Gossip is a great deal of what makes up Hodgenville , but its nothing to be ashamed of , its just the way we are . We are the kind of people who like cookouts , fishing , hunting , and family gatherings . You may find it easier to go to Elizabethtown or Campbellsville to do your grocery shopping , because there is a Wal-mart there , and they tend to be alot cheaper then our little super-markets here . Church (if you go ) are the best ways to find the social interaction you may be looking for . Other then that you will not be able to find to many people you would like to mingle with , not because we are unfriendly , its just that people here in Hodgenville are most like yourself . We go out to get what we need , talk to the people we know , and go home . It's a wonderful little town , full of wonderful people . We had to leave from Ky a year ago because of the Army , we are now in Fort Carson Colorado , but as soon as we get out of here , Hodgenville or Buffalo is where I will come back too . My entire family still resides there , and there is nothing about Hodgenville that would ever make me change my mind about moving back . It may be a ghost town to some people , but to me its home , and the people I grew up around still call me Lil Jenn ~ I hope you find a wonderful home there , and that Hodgenville is all you want it to be .

Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Thank you "Lil Jenn"

Thank you for taking the time to describe Hodgenville. It sounds like the kind of place we would want to relocate. We still have a couple of years to go before my husband retires, so we won't be moving soon-but we do want to get all our ducks in a row, so when the time comes when we can, we won't waste any time.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,394 times
My name is Kenneth Scott, i'm a retired USAF menber.
I was stationed in Panama, in 1967-1973.
I worked with the Base mess Hall for security reasons.
The mess Sgt was SFC Robert (Bob) Baumgarder.
He retired in Hodgenville Ky. He had a small Farm there.
I have tried to contact him or his wife numeous time and methods with no results.
Can anyone in Hodgenville help me with this effort.
Reason: just to say hello and see how he is doing.
Thank Anyone Kenneth Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky