Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM

11 posts, read 20,532 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new to the Tenn area I live in the tri-cities area, But I am looking to relocate to an area that's more Kid friendly I was told to try oak grove or Hopkinsville KY. I would like to purchase a farm but also have not to long of a drive to shopping, mall, cinema or summer activities. Can anyone give me information for the christian county KY area? Also diversity is important.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 20,512 times
Hopkinsville? Stay away!!! I moved out after living there for 10 years; just couldn't take it anymore. It's not kid-friendly (growing problems in the schools, gangs, drugs, no jobs....major factories are closing). Hopkinsville had plans for a new mall - the plans were scrapped. Why? THE CITY WAS 17% BELOW THE POVERTY LINE.
Don't buy in to the "hey, all cities have problems" b.s. - do the research. New people that move there are NOT readily welcomed. It's a cesspool, and one to be avoided at all costs. Try Clarksville, TN (just 10 minutes from Hopkinsville) - it's a world of difference.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM

204 posts, read 876,117 times
newtotenn, while Oak Grove is certainly growing, you may want to stay on the Tennessee side for property value as well as the fact that Tennessee enjoys no state income tax. There are plenty of opportunities in the Montgomery County area to find what you are looking for and still enjoy the conveniences that Clarksville has to offer.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
New, I hope you'll overlook the Hopkinsville Welcome Wagon who posted above. My wife has lived in Cadiz, about 15 miles from Hopkinsville, most of her life. I just asked her and she has never heard of any mall plans being scrapped. She said she would definitely take Hopkinsville over Oak Grove. There really isn't anything in Oak Grove except a Walmart. She worked at Ft. Campbell for 20+ years. True there are some bad neighborhoods around Hoptown, but I disagree with patrick. You're going to find bad areas in just about any town you go to. But I did notice that you aren't looking for in town, you're looking for farm land.
Like I said, we live in Cadiz, over between Hopkinsville and Barkley Lake. My step daughter and her husband are moving back here and just bought a house with land. Hubby's an MP in the Army and being transferred back to Ft. Campbell by request. He pulled some strings to get stationed back here. They bought a 3 BR 2 bath home with a full basement and 12 1/2 acres for $135,000. This is out in the country, probably not as far out as you would like but that's what they wanted. If you're wanting land around the Hoptown/Oak Grove area, you'll be paying big time out the wazoo!
The thing about Trigg County is it's close enough to Hopkinsville and you have I-24 going through the county towards Ft. Campbell, Clarksville, and beyond. But it's also far enough away where you're not in the middle of the rush. Come on down and check us out!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 20,512 times
Default Kygman - excuse me?

No new mall plans being scrapped?
You mean the new mall that was supposed to be built 1 mile from Super Wal-Mart on HWY 41 before Novadell Links? The one that they laid the pipes to then abandoned?

And the Oak Grove area isn't building the new mall in it's place....right next to the Wal-Mart there?
Is that what you're not talking about?

Man, the whole town knows about it. The new bowling alley was supposed to go there, the new theater was supposed to go there, etc. Do your research: Hopkinsville is 17% below the poverty line...that's why Macy's said no way - that's why Dillards said the same.

And what of Hopkinsville? what's there to do? Possibly the new water park? The one WITHOUT a pool? (Does a small wading pool that one cannot swim in count?)

Do your research, newtotenn - as gman said, go down and check it out. See the attitude. See the crime. See the abandoned buildings downtown. By all means see what they don't have.

(And just to show I'm not prejudiced against the whole area, I will admit that Cadiz is a nice little town - slow, but nice. If that's what you're looking for, you'll love it. Many people relocate or retire to Cadiz simply for the beauty that is Land Between the Lakes).

I stand by my original statement: stay away from Hopkinsville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky