Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes, one 5 12.82%
yes, more than one 25 64.10%
No but I do own other weapons 2 5.13%
No 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
That is an enormous risk to take with your children's safety. You are going to trust the judgement of a 6 and 13 year old with access to a loaded gun? .
Yes. I even leave my car keys on the table and no one, not even their "cool" friends drive it away and kill themselves (or others). I don't lock up my power tools either. They have yet to play with them and sever a limb. They haven't eaten a whole bottle of asprin to see what it tastes like either. They don't take out the steak knives and play with them. They don't put things into the outlets either.

Do you take your kids swimming? That's a far greater risk that guns...

Quote:
Did you never do anything stupid that would disobey your parents? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Kids at 13 are so impressionable.
I did plenty of stupid things. None involved playing with my dads guns. Discipline work wonders. I grew up around guns. Never once was I tempted to play with it, or point it anyone and pull the trigger just for fun. Never crossed my mind. It was a gun, it wasn't mine, I didn't touch it. Not a hard concept for kids to understand.

Quote:
I can just see a 13 year old telling his rebellious, "cool" friend about his dad's gun. The cool friend then convinces him/her to show him. Peer pressure is an amazingly powerful thing at that age. I was raised very well and I did some really stupid crap when I was a kid, especially when you get a group of boys together.
My kids don't touch our guns. They don't talk about them because they are normal to them. They wouldn't go get them to show their friends anymore than they would show them my chain saw. Which they've yet to try to juggle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Yes. I even leave my car keys on the table and no one, not even their "cool" friends drive it away and kill themselves (or others). I don't lock up my power tools either. They have yet to play with them and sever a limb. They haven't eaten a whole bottle of asprin to see what it tastes like either. They don't take out the steak knives and play with them. They don't put things into the outlets either.

Do you take your kids swimming? That's a far greater risk that guns...

I did plenty of stupid things. None involved playing with my dads guns. Discipline work wonders. I grew up around guns. Never once was I tempted to play with it, or point it anyone and pull the trigger just for fun. Never crossed my mind. It was a gun, it wasn't mine, I didn't touch it. Not a hard concept for kids to understand.

My kids don't touch our guns. They don't talk about them because they are normal to them. They wouldn't go get them to show their friends anymore than they would show them my chain saw. Which they've yet to try to juggle...
I guess if a tragedy happens it will be very comforting knowing that it's not your fault, you told him not touch your guns. Kids are fascinated with the forbidden, boys are fascinated with guns in particular. I'm not going to discuss this anymore because I am so disgusted with your completely reckless disregard of the responsibilities of being a parent and a gun owner. Have a nice day and we'll all hope for the best.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I guess if a tragedy happens it will be very comforting knowing that it's not your fault, you told him not touch your guns. Kids are fascinated with the forbidden, boys are fascinated with guns in particular. I'm not going to discuss this anymore because I am so disgusted with your completely reckless disregard of the responsibilities of being a parent and a gun owner. Have a nice day and we'll all hope for the best.
OK, don't get your skirt went going to vote. Taught them a lesson in gun safety today. 1) Never look down the barrel of your gun to see if it's clear. That's what liberals are for.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Hinton what part of Kentucky are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hinton what part of Kentucky are you from if you don't mind me asking?
Morehead

Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
HDM

41 posts, read 111,221 times
Quote:
Not good reasoning. You've drank too much of the liberal kool-aid.

I was trusted to take firearms out by myself and go to the woods and hunt or shoot before I was 10 years old. It's a matter of how children are raised and the responsibilities that are expected of them. With the liberalization and dumbing down of society, we expect less of children and they, predictably, give us less. Raise the bar and they will give what is expected. You just have to raise that bar, which is difficult for parents whose expectations and standards for themselves aren't very high.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDM View Post
Not good reasoning. You've drank too much of the liberal kool-aid.

I was trusted to take firearms out by myself and go to the woods and hunt or shoot before I was 10 years old. It's a matter of how children are raised and the responsibilities that are expected of them. With the liberalization and dumbing down of society, we expect less of children and they, predictably, give us less. Raise the bar and they will give what is expected. You just have to raise that bar, which is difficult for parents whose expectations and standards for themselves aren't very high.
Nowadays, if you were to walk down the side of the road with your trusty .22 over you shoulder, the SWAT team would have you face down on the ground. It would be breaking news across the Nation. You would be placed in state custody, and youR parents arrested for child endangerment.

Welcome to the new America. Papers, Comrade?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Wow I never intended this thread to turn into this. I'm sorry.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,582,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Do you take your dogs with to grocery shop? How about while out trick-or-treating? Movies, Mall...? My wife grew up "in town", and never saw a gun. She never saw the need, even though I carry everywhere I legally can.

My wife now carries (and has her Concealed carry permit).

What changed her mind?

Two or three years ago while living in Virginia Beach, a woman was shot and killed in an pretty "up scale" shopping center. It was broad daylight, two week before Christmas. As she was loading her bags into her car, the killer stopped his car behind hers and robbed her. She gave him everything she had, she complied with his every demand. He shot her dead, right there.

The time to need a gun isn't when you need a gun.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

~Mark
I am glad you have your CCW, Never leave home without it

Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM

73 posts, read 203,335 times
I own several guns,been hunting since i was 9 years old.My parents gave me my first gun when i was 10 and i still have it today,revalation 410 single barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky