U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 PM

53 posts, read 81,974 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

My wife and I are planning to relocate to Kentucky. We have scheduled a trip later this month to spend 10 days looking at different areas, and properties. We are interested in having some acreage to raise a small number beef cattle on. We are planning to visit Adair, Barren, and Anderson counties. Any advise or direction from this board would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,557,493 times
I like all 3 of the counties you mention. Anderson will be close to Lexington. Adair & Barren will be close to Bowling Green. So you can be in the country but not far from the larger towns at least.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,843,291 times
Can I ask why those three counties in particular?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Can I ask why those three counties in particular?
While looking at areas on the internet, these counties just kept our attention. These are in no way set in stone, we hope to travel as much of the state as we can during our 10 day visit.

Thanks for the replies

Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 AM

850 posts, read 2,900,967 times
The areas you mention are wonderful - beautiful vistas - as is the case with most of Kentucky. I suggest you make a list (I am sure you already have) of things you need to have close by to make your life 'liveable'. Some areas are much more rural and travel time to shop, doctor, etc. can exceed 40 minutes plus depending on where you are. I myself love the rural life, but as I get older, it does wear me out being on the road to get groceries or recieve healthcare.
I live in a small town with access to I-65, but one little store, a few eateries (oh, we do have McDonalds!) and at least 20 minutes in any direction for things bigger than milk, bread, toothpaste. I would not change it for the world, but it may not be for everyone.

After your list, your visit should be much easier to settle on an area, and you are coming at a great time! Fall is in full swing and it is beautiful.

Oh, just don't let out the secret - life here can be bliss! It may cause a stampede! (lol)

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,859,252 times
If you are going to be here 10 days I'd recommend a road trip across KY, you'll find each of the 120 counties has it's attraction.

Naturally I would recommend the far western end of the state.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 20 hours ago)

9,771 posts, read 21,077,935 times
Adair County is NOT close to Bowling Green - it is almost exactly btw London & Bowling Green (70 mi to either) It is a very nice area but there aren't near as many jobs. Barren Co has quite a few industrial jobs on its own and is only ~30 mi to Bowling Green.

Anderson Co is only 10 mi to Frankfort, 20 mi to Lex, and 35 mi to Lou

Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I suggest you make a list (I am sure you already have) of things you need to have close by to make your life 'liveable'. I live in a small town with access to I-65, but one little store, a few eateries (oh, we do have McDonalds!) and at least 20 minutes in any direction for things bigger than milk, bread, toothpaste. I would not change it for the world, but it may not be for everyone.
Yes we do have a list. I know what it is like to live in the rural areas. We currently live 35 minutes from anything, including a gallon of milk. We are used to stocking up on food and supplies, living without public power for extended periods during winter, and we have our own domestic water well. We are excited about our upcoming trip and do plan to tour as much of the state as possible while there.

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming

Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 AM

850 posts, read 2,900,967 times
Lew - sounds like you are well accustomed to the 'good life' - so you should be fine! I think you will be quite happy as you travel the country side - get a map and check out all areas of the state before you come - some hidden gems ae waiting - like Hardin county with E-town very close, but with quaint little towns southern to the county.

Happy Trails!

(The Somerset area is wonderful, too!)

Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 67,201 times
Have you thought about Eastern KY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky