U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM

2,153 posts, read 3,541,506 times

Advertisements

I don't even know if people in Kentucky refer to it as that

Im referring to the area between Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati.

What Im looking for is a nice small town where I can buy an old fixer upper house between $100,000 and $130,000. Now when I say fixer upper I don't mean completely trashed. I mean more of a house that just needs substantial updating.

Any ideas of where I could start my search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 PM

780 posts, read 896,013 times
Eminence, Carrollton, Shelbyville to name a few. LaGrange, Crestood might have fixer uppers.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM

4,807 posts, read 8,128,500 times
The problem with Crestwood, LaGrange, and most of Oldham County is the average age of a home is very young compared to Shelby or Henry Counties. If employment and infrastructure such as high speed internet are not important, I would look at Milton, Bedford, and most of Henry County.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 PM

5,715 posts, read 12,882,908 times
Danville or Wilmore

Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Danville or Wilmore
Are you taking something for your eyes? Danville and Wilmore are neither inside the Triangle. Close maybe, but neither have ever been considered Triangle towns.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The problem with Crestwood, LaGrange, and most of Oldham County is the average age of a home is very young compared to Shelby or Henry Counties. If employment and infrastructure such as high speed internet are not important, I would look at Milton, Bedford, and most of Henry County.
High speed internet is very important as I am self employed and need it for business. Thanks for bringing that up as I didn't even think of it as an issue.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Let me also state that inside that triangle isn't an absolute necessity. I would be traveling to Louisville, Cincy and Indianapolis quite a bit so it looked like a great location.

Im up for all suggestions on nice small towns. Thanks a bunch so far for the help.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
That's why I said possibly LaGrange or Crestwood. Average doesn't mean there are no older fixer uppers. When we in Kentucky we lived in an awesome older house just outside of LaGrange.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
High speed internet is very important as I am self employed and need it for business. Thanks for bringing that up as I didn't even think of it as an issue.
You are welcome. Just practicing my profession.

Yes, I live in Crestwood and my office is in LaGrange. During the recent real estate boom, most of the available older "fixer-uppers" got fixed up, especially those in the price range suggested. This doesn't mean there aren't some excellent homes available, but my point was the number available. As a matter of fact, my wife and I are rehabbing a 1944 built Cape Cod style home into our LaGrange office.

Of course, with the limited criteria specified, we were speaking of the entire Triangle which I feel I probably know as well as any one person. Do I know the entire area like the back of my hand, of course not, but I feel that considering every locale, I would test out pretty well.

Last edited by tomocox; 11-08-2008 at 05:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Number available. I heard this in another thread, another state. All I can say is I'm glad we didn't limit ourselves to an area that had over 300+ houses available in our range, probably 150 if not more met most if not all of our criteria. The town we now live in had 3 houses in our range, all 3 met all of our criteria. Looking back, we got alot better house for the same money we were looking at spending elsewhere. We're looking at a transfer probably in the spring. [Unfortunately NOT back to Kentucky. ] I'm not going to base where we look for a house on the number available. Even if there's just a few the one you really want might be one of the few.

OT - does anywhere in Henry County have affordable high speed internet yet? We we left almost 2 years ago there weren't many affordable options. Where we're living now we pay $2 more for our DSL than we did in Henry County for the slowest dialup I've even used. Wait, no our free trial with AOL there was slower, but I tried it for a week and said shut it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky