Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,124,011 times

Advertisements

I've read and read and read all the threads in the hope I'd find one close enough to answer our questions about moving to KY - but because everyone's situation is unique, I'm still out there wondering. I feel guilty because a lot of members on here really do make an effort in replying with detailed info (thanks to all of you by the way, it's what made me join and has been the basis for my research up until now).

Having read the sticky here's what we (the "we" being my husband and myself) do not need:
Schools (no school age kids)
Commuting (no commuting to be done)
Fancy Shopping (I'm allergic)
Lots of restaurants (I'm mostly a hermit)
Cultural "experiences" (see "hermit") or a vibrant night-life - we've both lived all over the world. Now we like to stay home.
We are not church-goers

Here's what we do need:
A 60 to 90 minute drive to either Lexington, Louisville, or another major-ish airport (need a direct flight to Houston).
Good pasture - non-thoroughbreds and hardy horses, but rocky soil is a no-go
Acreage - absolute minimum of 10, no max - we'll buy what we can afford and the more land the better, as far as we're concerned.
Price - up to about 350K, could go over for the place of our dreams, but obviously would prefer not to.
A good area for "horsey" things to do - this only has to be at a local level, strictly amateur (English disciplines). This is should be second after distance from airport as far as importance goes.
Proximity to a small/med town (10 miles or so would be fine) that has at a decent supermarket.
A rural environment.
Nice, friendly people - we'll definitely be outsiders.

On the wish-list items:
a good public library (a tall order anywhere!)
would prefer rolling hills to flat land
Not too far a hike to get to either a state park or a national forest or something like that with riding trails.

Sadly, currently there's nothing around in Boyle Co. that suits. We've got a couple of "possibles" closer to Winchester and Paris, and one in Mercer Co. but I'm really just wondering if there's an area that we haven't looked in that we should have looked in - maybe slight further away.

All and any suggestions welcome.
Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,370,510 times
Casey Co has very affordable land ($3000 an acre and up) See Rural KY sticky for pictures of this area

Old 11-23-2008, 12:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,272,583 times
I would put you into northern Henry or southern Trimble Counties. Everything you asked for.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,107,901 times
Have you looked in the Slade-Natural Bridge area? Sounds like what you may be interested in. No good library close, though.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM

406 posts, read 862,908 times
Maybe somewhere in Madison county could fit what you need. Also Oldham and Pulaski (Somerset)counties comes to mind.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Maybe somewhere in Madison county could fit what you need. Also Oldham and Pulaski (Somerset)counties comes to mind.
Madison & Oldham Cos are very expensive per acre - I hope you were joking.

Pulaski Co west of US 27 does have good land, the eastern areas are mountainous and mostly in the D Boone Nat'l Forest

Old 11-23-2008, 06:18 PM

257 posts, read 878,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I would put you into northern Henry or southern Trimble Counties. Everything you asked for.
That would have been my suggestion! I think it would be perfect.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM

Thank you all very much. Are there any towns in either Henry or Trimble Counties that come more recommended than others?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Thank you all very much. Are there any towns in either Henry or Trimble Counties that come more recommended than others?
Honestly, there aren't any towns of much size in either counties. Trimble and eastern Henry are close to La Grange, the rest of Henry is close to Shelbyville

Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, why has the area closer to Louisville been picked out over the area closer to Lexington? I always associate Louisville with racing (which I don't do) vs. the association of eventing/dressage, etc. (all of which I do enjoy at an amateur level) with Lexington.

If there's an MLS for that area and if anyone could point me in that direction, I'd be grateful. Other real estate sites came up pretty (or totally) blank for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky