U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM

528 posts, read 2,322,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't know of any Amish in Lincoln either.
isn't Crab Orchard in Lincoln? I thought there were quite a few there, and also around Stanford?

Beautiful photos, btw...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM

11 posts, read 61,416 times
Crab Orchard is in Lincoln County, and there are over 100 Amish families there. Quite a large 'district'. Over in the Liberty area (Casey County) is mostly old order Mennonite... Black Buggy Mennonites.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
Default Kentucky

Wow, I wish I had read these comments way back when.
My husband and are looking to relocate and being trail riders we are looking for a horse property possibly bordering an area (forest or park) that can be used as a horseman's campground and possibly guided trail rides.
We are thinking at least 10 acres, preferably with a house, maybe barn and pastures. Although If we do trail rides on our own property, we will need at least 100 acres. We know we are not going to find exactly what we want and will have to add to it. The most important requirement would be access to trails. We have seen a couple of established places and unfortunately the prices were a little steep for what they were offering. We also had a deal fall through in Tennessee.
I was just reading about Knott County. Does anyone know more about it than the web site offers?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,923 times
Default consider central Kentucky

Hey Trish -
your post has been on a while -- have you decided where to land in kentucky yet ? you might also consider central Kentucky -- around Bardstown in Nelson co. -- I am a native - grew up in Springfield -- but live in Nelson co now -- although I have a great horse facility that may be going on the market soon -- just relocating to be closer to my son -- Hope you are having luck in your search -- Thanks !!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Just a little warning. I'm 69 now and have always been healthy. I have five horses and finally found ten acres about 40 miles east of Denver. Nice three bedroom house, barn and several other good sized outbuildings. It was $155 thousand. I was delighted. My husband is working overseas and will return in the new year. After a year of refencing, which was remarkably cheap I was settling in. Not too many neighbors but a good market, two feed stores and other various handy places. No fast food and a larger chain market about ten miles away. Then I was suddenly struck with a serious illness that required two operations. I've had one and will have the other soon. That is my warning. Although I am only about ten minutes from a freeway entrance I still have over a hundred mile round trip just to visit my doctor and if any procedures require being put out I have to ask a neighbor to drive me and wait to take me home. Luckily I have nice neighbors who have helped but I was so far out I had to do my own I.V. drip twice a day after the operation for two weeks. The neighbors fed my horses but it still was a real ordeal. My husband can't drive because of his eyesight and you have to have a car out here. I never imagined this happening. My Dad is a healthy 99 years old so I just assumed I would be the same. Anyway, make sure you have medical care close by that takes Medicare and whatever your supplementary is. The little clinic here I can only use in emergencies. You just never know.

Wish I could use my vet. She's only fifteen minutes away and just as good as any doctor:>)

Cheers, Charlotte

Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 353 times
Dear All;

I have lived in Arkansas my whole life, I am 57 and was born and raised on a large family farm. My Father and brother passed away within a few years of each other and this left just myself, my husband and my 75 year old Mother to take care of the farm. We had the last remaining farm within the city limits of Fayetteville. I had 7 horses as I had to sadly put one down last week that was a rescue, my heart is still mourning for her. We also sadly had to sell the farm as we couldn't afford to maintain that much land. We bought a much smaller farm in the outskirts of Fayetteville and moved ourselves and horses there. While it's a nice farmette it still isn't what I have always been accustomed to, you just cannot take the farm out of the girl no matter what you do. This couples with the sadness of passing by the old farm that was grabbed up by greedy land developers. They have destroyed the once beautiful and idyllic farm I grew up on. It will soon be covered with 290 middle range homes ...290!!
The large pond that looked like a lake has been completely drained and filled in, the deer and other wildlife that came into our yards every night have been run out I'm sure, the eco system has been destroyed as the pond was full of bass and catfish as well as geese and ducks who loved to swim on it year round. If you have never witnessed this sort of tragedy please count it a blessing. All this destroyed for the almighty dollar. What is sad is there was not one individual who wanted to purchase the farm for the sole purpose of farming, it was a scramble by developers to see who could raise the cash and get it rezoned in order to destroy it. We are so fed up that we are looking for an entirely different location and in another state to relocate ourselves and our horses. The current farm we purchased is nice but still doesn't have the feel I'm searching for. Maybe it's the sadness associated with this area over the past several years that I feel the need to relocate. I am looking for the safest and best place for my family and our horses. We are western pleasure and would be nice to have a trail system nearby to ride as well as enough room on the property to house and exercise our horses as well as 3 dogs and 4 cats ...Lol

Last edited by Kathy P; 09-10-2018 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 09-11-2018, 08:58 AM

409 posts, read 1,109,559 times
Default Glad You Posted

When I saw this post in my email, I just had to take a look. This thread is quite old, but thank you for posting your story.

I feel your pain. Every day, it seems, another sign here in NJ advertises another development going up. (yes, we are still in NJ. A short while after I posted in this thread we both were hit with medical emergencies and the aftermath resulted in a huge financial hit. Still stuck here and living for seven years in one of these horrid 55+ communities. AVOID them at all costs. We had planned to move in about two years but life keeps taking horrid turns...well, that's not what this post is about.) When people ask me where I am living now, my response is "hell".

There are five advertising signs from developers about condos and new houses - just within about a five mile radius. They are popping up in previously protected pineland areas. In one case, 4000 units! They offer farmers a huge chunk of money and soon the bulldozers move in. Having owned a 5 acre property with two horses which we foolishly allowed to be taken from us, I understand your being so hurt and upset over the situation involving your family and your beloved pets. Guess why I am writing is that your experience has really touched my heart and also addresses my extreme hatred of these greedy developers who see nothing but huge profits to be made.

You are a kindred soul in that being near nature, woods and open spaces is a necessity of life. This is something a lot of people can't understand. Our physical and mental health depends on it. I wish you luck in finding something more suitable. The only thing I can say is that do enjoy what you have at present, though it is not really acceptable, knowing that across the country land is disappearing at a horrendous rate. Do not get stuck, like we are, in a place that you hate.

Just a suggestion-try not to drive past your former residence if you can avoid doing so. We can't drive past our old place without suffering extreme hurt and will take any route to avoid doing so. It is too heartbreaking. There must be somewhere where people like us can go and live out our lives surrounded by what we love. Do use the Internet for research and be sure to check up on everything. One poster mentioned medical facilities nearby; that is important but in my own research found that it can be doable. Don't know if you want to stay in the area, but as for us we don't care where in the US we go, as long as we are surrounded by nature (I too miss those wonderful trails we had nearby) and like-minded people. Thank you again for unburdening your feelings; now I don't feel so alone knowing there are others out there that feel as I do. Hang in there, love your pets, keep your dream alive and research, research, research!

Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM

9,246 posts, read 5,043,135 times
Kathy P and Decaying Angel....those were heartbreaking stories.
Hugs and Prayers your way. Hope you find your way back to a new home and place.

Lots of nature and horses this way, come on down sometimes and visit and see if it would be a good fit.
I live in Lexington and we are literally surrounded by Horse Farms and Dairy Farms.
I think they can be expensive here though...there are other parts of the state where the cost of living is really low and farms can be had for much less.
There is a farm for retired horses in Georgetown, Ky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5hgZPuks

In some parts of Kentucky there are wild horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI58YTsmVko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3FLMTzb0M&t=2s

I hope the videos make you happy and have hope, and don't make you sad.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:55 AM

409 posts, read 1,109,559 times
Thank you so very much for these beautiful videos. I am shocked about wild horses in Kentucky. Who would have thought? I am saving the videos to my favorites.

There is nothing so beautiful as watching horses in their wild habitat, or as close to it as possible. Back in the late eighties we lived in a trailer on a retired farmer's place in South Dakota. It was literally out in a huge pasture where a herd of semi-wild horses got to roam free. Imagine waking up and seeing two little ponies staring into your bedroom window! When we foolishly came back east, I realized that these small stables, many of which kept horses on dry lots and put them in stalls (mind you, this is what I was used to until South Dakota) really was somewhat depressing. But people must do what they can to keep these gorgeous animals as our pets, companions and friends.

Kathy, the OP of this subject, really touched me because it seems we are being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas and surrounded by complete insanity. Why don't they just pave over New Jersey and be done with any farms and natural areas? I cannot live without being surrounded by the natural world and animals. Our situation is dire, we have little money and are thinking of just getting a camper or older RV and taking off. This will take some time and seems our only option. It's not bad, YouTube is filled with people who have been wandering for years and loving it. And the best way to find what places are like. Renting a mobile home on private land is also hopefully an option. NJ does not allow mobile homes on any private property, only in trailer parks, unless grandfathered in. Which is crazy.

I want to thank you for the videos and your kindness in posting and will certainly keep what you wrote in mind. My husband who was a nurse had applied for a job at a nursing home in Louisville. They were very interested in him but we foolishly chose to remain close to our families in NJ. BIG mistake, but the past cannot be undone.

Best wishes,
Sharon
P.S. The horse in the third video at around :46 looks exactly like our beloved Rocky, who passed away in Sept. 2015 at the age of 35. It was sad to see but also comforting as well.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:24 AM

6,869 posts, read 14,687,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Thank you so very much for these beautiful videos. I am shocked about wild horses in Kentucky. Who would have thought? I am saving the videos to my favorites.

There is nothing so beautiful as watching horses in their wild habitat, or as close to it as possible. Back in the late eighties we lived in a trailer on a retired farmer's place in South Dakota. It was literally out in a huge pasture where a herd of semi-wild horses got to roam free. Imagine waking up and seeing two little ponies staring into your bedroom window! When we foolishly came back east, I realized that these small stables, many of which kept horses on dry lots and put them in stalls (mind you, this is what I was used to until South Dakota) really was somewhat depressing. But people must do what they can to keep these gorgeous animals as our pets, companions and friends.

Kathy, the OP of this subject, really touched me because it seems we are being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas and surrounded by complete insanity. Why don't they just pave over New Jersey and be done with any farms and natural areas? I cannot live without being surrounded by the natural world and animals. Our situation is dire, we have little money and are thinking of just getting a camper or older RV and taking off. This will take some time and seems our only option. It's not bad, YouTube is filled with people who have been wandering for years and loving it. And the best way to find what places are like. Renting a mobile home on private land is also hopefully an option. NJ does not allow mobile homes on any private property, only in trailer parks, unless grandfathered in. Which is crazy.

I want to thank you for the videos and your kindness in posting and will certainly keep what you wrote in mind. My husband who was a nurse had applied for a job at a nursing home in Louisville. They were very interested in him but we foolishly chose to remain close to our families in NJ. BIG mistake, but the past cannot be undone.

Best wishes,
Sharon
P.S. The horse in the third video at around :46 looks exactly like our beloved Rocky, who passed away in Sept. 2015 at the age of 35. It was sad to see but also comforting as well.
There are TONS of open nursing jobs in Louisville....if you want to move....just do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky