Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,805 times

Advertisements

Anyone scared of bad weather like I am? I wish I was not! Ever spring my stomach stays in knots! Anyone been scared and then found out how to overcome their fears?!?! Help me! Help me!

Tomorrow they are calling for bad weather, and I am already scared... sad isn't it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM

190 posts, read 812,063 times
Yes, I have been afraid of storms for many years. Doesn't make sense, does it, considering where I live. You would think I would be used to them by now. What has always helped me is either read my bible, or read another good book. Another good idea is play some relaxing music. And, if worse comes to worse, go visit friends or family until it passes. You would be suprised how much a good game of Rook or Rummy will take your mind of storms. Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 75,520 times
Try learning more about what you fear. Information is power and in the age of the internet, power is eveywhere.

Seriously though, I am the opposite of you. I love storms so much so that I want to take one of those vacations in the mid-west where you try and hunt down a tornado. Some would call that insane, but I get a thrill from it. What scares me though you might be fine with. Don't be down on yourself because of it. You are perfectly normal in having fears.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 AM

24 posts, read 123,388 times
The weather in Kentucky can be unpredictable but it certainly isn't severe enough to worry about. There's only two major topics on any local newscast in Central Kentucky: Wildcats and Weather! The constant weather updates and interruptions only serve to make people more fearful that they'll be blown away, snowed in, or washed out into the street. If you want some real severe winter weather, head up north to Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit or New York City. Relax! Lexington weather isn't so bad after all. The salt trucks are out at the first sighting of the first snowflake so the roads are almost always clear. As for the tornados and severe thunderstorms, I feel plenty safe living in the city. If you're out in the rural areas I can understand your anxiety, but we're all vulnerable to one danger or another so live your life and don't worry about it!

Last edited by XRay; 03-05-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Sorry to say - NOPE! This is my favorite time of year - and when I hear severe threat of storms, I am glued to the t.v. and watching the sky!

I know - goofy.

I love it. I was just a kid when the 1974 Tornado hit in Louisville and surrounding counties. Where we lived, you could see the bricks flying from the state fair grounds. I have always loved the sight of a good storm, the lightening and thinder, and I feel wonderful standing outside, letting the wind and rain hit my face.

Yes - I suppose I am crazy - snow I HATE - storms I LOVE. We don't get very many around here - although we are coming into that time of year. I guess it's the excitement - as long as no one is hurt and no homes are damaged - I love it.

I guess we all have our faults - and that may be mine!

Kimmiey

Old 03-08-2007, 01:35 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,872 times
Severe thunderstorms are fine as long as you have a basement. Not much fun in a mobile home in the middle of the night with the radar lit up with raging thunderstorms. When I was younger in Minnesota, I decided to "ride out" a few bad ones and was lucky to live through them with 80 plus mph winds. No fear like hearing the walls of your mobile home make snapping sounds and the seeing the windows bulged in as that big wind slams it broadside. One time I was in full panic hanging onto to the furnace in the pitch black hallway. Thought the trailer was going to roll over even though it had tie downs. Another time I ran out the back door running for my life and almost got hit in the head by flying aluminum skirting and one of those kids plastic riding horses. Just flew right by my face as I ran to my car. Helpless feeling and absolute panic.

Get a house with a basement or have an underground storm shelter built. You'll sleep much better and it is money well spent.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
HELLO EVERYONE!

This is my first time on the KENTUCKY forum. And one of the things that attracts me to your state, is that it is my understanding that you all get 4 distinct seasons, right?
However, it seems that you get tornados, right? How often and how bad are they???? I thought if you had rolling hills, mountains, that it would stop the formation of tornados? Please correct me and add anything else about tornados and how they affect the state of Kentucky?
Thanks a bunch!
Countrylv22

Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Sorry to say - NOPE! This is my favorite time of year - and when I hear severe threat of storms, I am glued to the t.v. and watching the sky!

I know - goofy.

I love it. I was just a kid when the 1974 Tornado hit in Louisville and surrounding counties. Where we lived, you could see the bricks flying from the state fair grounds. I have always loved the sight of a good storm, the lightening and thinder, and I feel wonderful standing outside, letting the wind and rain hit my face.

Yes - I suppose I am crazy - snow I HATE - storms I LOVE. We don't get very many around here - although we are coming into that time of year. I guess it's the excitement - as long as no one is hurt and no homes are damaged - I love it.

I guess we all have our faults - and that may be mine!

Kimmiey

I'm with you 100%, I was only 3 or 4 during the 1974 Super outbreak. We were living off New Cut RD, and I can vaguely remember seeing the sky...it seemed gray and swirling, but those are distant memories. My dad was working for L&N railroad (now CSX) near Brandenburg, and he remembers having to take shelter in a culvert from that huge F-5 that destroyed Brandenburg. More recently, I remember the F3 tornado that destroyed some very nice houses in Oldham County back in 1990..we were cleaning up at the pizza place I worked at and had to take shelter under a table. Although I love storms, I get a little nervous when Tornado warnings are issued...part of that being we live in a house with no basement. I've seriously considered putting in a shelter in the back yard, but that may be a year or two down the road.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 AM

70 posts, read 206,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
HELLO EVERYONE!

This is my first time on the KENTUCKY forum. And one of the things that attracts me to your state, is that it is my understanding that you all get 4 distinct seasons, right?
However, it seems that you get tornados, right? How often and how bad are they???? I thought if you had rolling hills, mountains, that it would stop the formation of tornados? Please correct me and add anything else about tornados and how they affect the state of Kentucky?
Thanks a bunch!
Countrylv22
Mountains or hills blocking tornadoes is a misconception. Tornadoes are formed due to converging currents and local updrafts when you have warm and cold air clashing together. It forms in the sky and reaches down to earth so the tornado isn't affected by the landscape. Tornadoes have been known to go up one side of a mountain and down the other as one did in Wyoming.

We do get four distinct seasons in Kentucky. However, the seasons aren't the way they were 20 years ago. We do have some years when the winter is warmer than usual or summer is hotter than normal but I think that's the case in many areas of the United States. Right now we are experiencing a warmer than normal spring.

We don't have a high number of tornadoes in Kentucky as compared to Tornado Alley in the Midwest but we have several each year. Most people living here are aware of the possibility of tornadoes and have much better resources which can warn us of severe weather than we had in the past. Many people do have basements so it's a good idea to be prepared. I used to fear severe weather for years but grew to respect it when I was involved in the clean-up after the April 3, 1974 tornado outbreak. It gives you a new perspective and respect on the power of Mother Nature when she's raging.

Most of the tornadoes in Kentucky are in the F2 range on the Fugita scale. There have been F4 tornadoes too but they are rare in this state. I've been more concerned with the increase in large hail in recent years than tornado outbreaks. Mother Nature can throw down some hail the size of softballs and there have been reports of hail that size in a few areas. It's just like anything else when you're dealing with nature. You never know what you're gonna get until it shows up!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
Smile To Wildcat "bad Weather In Kentucky"

Hello WILDCAT:

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it!
Yes, it is a huge misconception! Most people think that if you have rolling hills, mountains, you are out of danger!
Thanks!
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky