U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM

97 posts, read 151,303 times
Default Best cities in Kentucky

My husband and I are trying to find a smaller, low crime area in Kentucky to retire in. We will be relocating from Michigan, so we don't know where to even start.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give us.

Thanks,
Cat
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 46,651 times
Ohio has its form of "poverty". Try Over the Rhine in downtown Cincinnati for an eye opener.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM

137 posts, read 276,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Is Northern Kentucky really like the rest of Kentucky?
I would not say that any part of KY is like another. They are all unique in there own individual way! If you are asking whether or not it is Southern, I would say, "yes!" I am from here and can tell you that it is Southern!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM

21 posts, read 35,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Second that.

...and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
This is funny! No ,you all have it wrong as usual, NKY is just like the rest of KY, if not worse. The people from NKY just do not realize it. This is why there is sooo many jokes about your little area!!! Seriously, you should get out of there for awhile and you would realize what Im referring to. 3 words describe NKY 1) BACKWARDS 2) HILL BILLY 3)OBLIVIOUS

Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 AM

23 posts, read 38,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
This is funny! No ,you all have it wrong as usual, NKY is just like the rest of KY, if not worse. The people from NKY just do not realize it. This is why there is sooo many jokes about your little area!!! Seriously, you should get out of there for awhile and you would realize what Im referring to. 3 words describe NKY 1) BACKWARDS 2) HILL BILLY 3)OBLIVIOUS

Troll

Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM

102 posts, read 178,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Um, I'm from the South buddy. For what it's worth, aside from the Billboards, I consider all of those things to be a sign of NKY's superiority to Ohio.

But I never made a value judgement one way or another in my post. I was just listing the objective differences that make NKY distinct from its neighbor. You were the one to assume those things were negative, not me.
Ha ha ha.

yeah, indoor smoking is a sign of superiority over Ohio. I guess being stupid with your health is a sign of being better.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

21 posts, read 35,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Turkey Leg meat View Post
Troll
Please tell me why you think nky is so great then? very curious.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM

871 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Honestly, what part of the state ISN'T very different from the "rest" of the state.

Lexington is more educated and has a higher Asian & Hispanic population than anywhere else in KY

Louisville has more good city parks, factories, and urban neighborhoods than probably the rest of KY combined

Pikeville is very different from Bowling Green.

Heck, Russell Springs and Liberty are 20 miles apart and TOTALLY different
but there are cultural characteristics that all areas of kentucky besides NKY (and parts of louisvile) have in common

Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM

871 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk75 View Post
Please tell me why you think nky is so great then? very curious.
hes referring to your incredibly negative attitude towards kentucky's culture, and how you somehow think KNY is "just as bad" (which is simply wrong because its culturally different)

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM

54 posts, read 85,292 times
The one thing that always got me about NKY people was their assumption/belief that everyone knew about NKY and that it is some major "hub" so to speak of KY. A lot of people from there seem to have this very insular attitude and kind of live within their own little "island" within the state. I'll be honest, before I attended UK I did not know what "NKY" was or give it any thought whatsoever. Obviously I knew there were cities/counties up there, but I just didn't give it any thought as being a specific region like I did the Western or Eastern parts of our state. I think it has to do with the direction(s) in which one views the state/country. For example, my "perspective" of the state growing up was "looking" southwest of Louisville, if that makes sense. Viewing the state from Louisville in a southwesterly direction towards the western part of the state, because I was more familiar with that part of the state since I spent every summer weekend at Rough River and many winter/fall weekends at my grandparents farm near Leitchfield. I believe everyone does this whether they realize it or not, and I belive most NKY residents are looking north at Cincinatti and maybe every now and then glancing south for a quick second at Lexington. I think this is the main reason, aside from the fact that a lot of them are Ohio transplants, that they are a lot of times ignorant of the rest of the state.

What annoys me the most is when people tell me that they always claim to be from Cincinatti when meeting people from other states, so as not to seem like an uneducated redneck. I am very proud to say I'm from the state of Kentucky, and I'm pretty sure no one would ever think me uneducated or a redneck. Must be insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky