U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 AM

458 posts, read 1,665,357 times

Advertisements

Over the last several months I have been watching movies filmed in KY or about KY. We have watched Dreamer, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Seabiscuit. I hear that Racing Stripes was also filmed in KY, though we haven't watched it yet. I also watched an interesting documentary called Shakespeare Behind Bars about prisoners involved in a theater program.

What other suggestions does anyone have? I'm also interested in books for kids and adults. I am interested in learning as much as we can, as we plan our move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Over the last several months I have been watching movies filmed in KY or about KY. We have watched Dreamer, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Seabiscuit. I hear that Racing Stripes was also filmed in KY, though we haven't watched it yet. I also watched an interesting documentary called Shakespeare Behind Bars about prisoners involved in a theater program.

What other suggestions does anyone have? I'm also interested in books for kids and adults. I am interested in learning as much as we can, as we plan our move.

Thanks!
I forgot to mention I also watched Elizabethtown! Surely there are more things I can watch or books I can read that will get me ready??

Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM

45 posts, read 154,384 times
Here's a URL, try the links along the left-hand side of the page, too.

http://tinyurl.com/2jq72w (broken link)

Old 03-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the listing of movies!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM

45 posts, read 154,384 times
You're welcome. Micahgirl, you're also a, um, person from Massachusetts, aren't you? There's another locally-used word for us, especially in NH, but I thought I'd avoid using it here. I'm also mulling over relocating to KY, and am very much looking forward to your impressions on your upcoming fact-finding tour.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:58 PM

I know the word...

I will post lots of stuff after my fact-finding stay!! Worry not.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM

850 posts, read 2,121,357 times
http://www.kentucky.gov/

This site doesn't have a movie listing (that I found) BUT - it does have a section on Facts and History - in which I learned things I didn't know and have lived here all my life!

Amazing.

I guess you never really appreacite what is out your own back door until you look at it from another person's eyes.

Hope this will be helpful!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
http://www.kentucky.gov/

This site doesn't have a movie listing (that I found) BUT - it does have a section on Facts and History - in which I learned things I didn't know and have lived here all my life!

Amazing.

I guess you never really appreacite what is out your own back door until you look at it from another person's eyes.

Hope this will be helpful!
Thanks for another fun link!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM

5,894 posts, read 2,416,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post

Thanks!
Hi, Micah Girl. You remind me of a Kentucky book entitled "The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come" which inspired four movies of the same title between 1928 and 1961. The '28 version was silent. The '61 version starred pop singer Jimmie Rodgers (whose biggest hit was "Honeycomb"). I am not familiar with the other two versions. The book deals with conflicting loyalties within otherwise closeknit families during the Civil War. A 1957 movie, "April Love," starred Pat Boone and Shirley Jones. None of these movies were actually filmed in Kentucky. Neither was "Daniel Boone, Trailblazer," a 1956 film with Bruce Bennett, Lon Chaney, Jr. and country singer Faron Young. But a film that definitely was filmed there is "Harlan County, U.S.A.," a 1976 documentary dealing with labor strife in that coalfield county. And that reminds me of "Harlan County War" with Holly Hunter (2000). (I would not recommend that these two films be seen by younger children.) Kentucky literature and history have always been of interest to me because I grew up just over the mountain in Virginia. My life has been enriched by the writings of John Fox, Jr. and Jesse Stuart.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hi, Micah Girl. You remind me of a Kentucky book entitled "The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come" which inspired four movies of the same title between 1928 and 1961. The '28 version was silent. The '61 version starred pop singer Jimmie Rodgers (whose biggest hit was "Honeycomb"). I am not familiar with the other two versions. The book deals with conflicting loyalties within otherwise closeknit families during the Civil War. A 1957 movie, "April Love," starred Pat Boone and Shirley Jones. None of these movies were actually filmed in Kentucky. Neither was "Daniel Boone, Trailblazer," a 1956 film with Bruce Bennett, Lon Chaney, Jr. and country singer Faron Young. But a film that definitely was filmed there is "Harlan County, U.S.A.," a 1976 documentary dealing with labor strife in that coalfield county. And that reminds me of "Harlan County War" with Holly Hunter (2000). (I would not recommend that these two films be seen by younger children.) Kentucky literature and history have always been of interest to me because I grew up just over the mountain in Virginia. My life has been enriched by the writings of John Fox, Jr. and Jesse Stuart.
Thanks so very much. I look forward to trying to track these down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky