Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,123,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Was KY hardest hit with this storm or is KY infrastructure lacking? I ask because MO also got hit but it seems like KY is having the most issues.

Infrastructure has nothing to do with it. Our power lines are mostly above ground here and we have a lot of huge trees. Those two things make an ice storm of this magnitude one heck of a disaster. I think the bulk of it did hit Kentucky, especially the western and central parts of the state.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,344,398 times
A tree hugging, anti war Liberal's dream: A National Guard with no chain saws and a soldier with no gun

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,407,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Who said help isn't getting to Kentucky? I drove down around the Mayfield/Benton/paducah area ane saw quite a few National Guard. Read about FEMA delivering generators.
Mayfield/Graves Co has 10 KYANG troops, no one is giving away generators. They are handing out 1 small meal per person at the airport, they did not have any water but they had ice and a little kerosene. Parts of Mayfield has power most of the county does not, and most areas will not get power for 2-4 weeks. Nearly all welfare checks and help has come from local churches, Volunteers FD, farmers and neighbors. FEMA has been a ghost around here.

A lot of the poor people around here are out of money as they can not go to work and do not have cash reserves. Some thefts have occurred and WKTelephone has had a number of generators stolen. Those generators are the only thing allowing many of us to get info when we run our own generators.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,283,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Using the plight of those who are suffering from winter storm damage in Kentucky to air your anger at "Nobama" is pretty low IMO.

Here is some more truth from Quarter-million still without power in icy Kentucky - CNN.com

"Rogers said many of the deaths resulted from carbon monoxide poisoning after residents pulled power generators inside their homes to keep warm."

Go ahead and blame Obama if it makes you feel better. Truth is there are quite a few states who have had equally harsh winters, now and in the past. It's a part of life and turning it into a political tirade is sad.
It is not a matter of Obama hating just KY.... he hates America. If Americans die it is no skin off of his nose.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM

180 posts, read 595,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
It is not a matter of Obama hating just KY.... he hates America. If Americans die it is no skin off of his nose.

WOW! I really don't know how to reply to that besides saying education is worth more than many think. Apparently you believe McCain would've given a darn about Kentucky? HA! Right. Had the same ol' administration still presided in Washington all the KYNG soldiers would be in Iraq still searching for the WMD's that Bushie said was there.

With Bush and McCain, you can't fix stupid.

Patience is a virtue and anyone who moves their generators inside their homes should be smacked. Common freakin' sense has GOT to preside here and apparently for some, it doesn't. I lived through ice storms in KY and still, made it out fine after two weeks without power in Versailles. I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for those that move their generators, and other carbon monoxide generating machines, into their home for "warmth". You get what you ask for in many cases. It's just plain common sense.

I say all of this while my mom and dad sit in their home in Central City, KY without power now for 6 days. I think I have a dog in this fight.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,604,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
There is been not a peep out of Obama for help in Kentucy where seven people have died, half a million people remain without electricity and over 200,000 are without water due to a major ice storm. Kentucy's Governor Steve Beshear described the fallout from last week's ice storm as the state's largest-ever natural disaster.

Where is the Obama administration? Where is FEMA? Why hasn't there been any federal help for these people? Where is the immediate help that Obama promised for these types of disasters?

no FEMA help for KY - Google Search (No-bama)
Um that is bull.

LAST WEEK (on Wed actually) Obama signed the papers to declare KY as part of a Federal State of Emergency.

Hell, we had FEMA workers in our neighborhood yesterday, knocking door to door checking on people, and handing our supplies if we needed them.

They are probably down in Madisonville helping those in the "ground zero" area, where over 70% of people still don't have power or heat, and it will be weeks before they fix it all.

So, check your facts before you post bull, he DID help.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is some help but not nearly enough. The full Kentucky national guard was not called out until Saturday. Until then, only about 1600 were called out. I blame the governor for the slow response more than Obama. It is up to your governor to impress on the President your need. Same could have been said and should have been said for Katrina.
Does Kentucky even have a full National Gaurd on American soil, are they not in Iraq??

Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Who said help isn't getting to Kentucky? I drove down around the Mayfield/Benton/paducah area ane saw quite a few National Guard. Read about FEMA delivering generators.
Your governor called out the National Guard. Not Obama. Your Governor has been doing all the work thus far not Obama. If Louisiana had a real Governor and N.O. had a real mayor during Katrina that crap would not have happened.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Um that is bull.

LAST WEEK (on Wed actually) Obama signed the papers to declare KY...

Hell, we had FEMA workers in our neighborhood yesterday, knocking door to door checking on people, and handing our supplies if we needed them...

So, check your facts before you post bull, he DID help.
No, the National Guard is giving the generators out. The National Guard was called up by your Governor.

You are full of bull.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Using the plight of those who are suffering from winter storm damage in Kentucky to air your anger at "Nobama" is pretty low IMO.

Here is some more truth from Quarter-million still without power in icy Kentucky - CNN.com

"Rogers said many of the deaths resulted from carbon monoxide poisoning after residents pulled power generators inside their homes to keep warm."

Go ahead and blame Obama if it makes you feel better. Truth is there are quite a few states who have had equally harsh winters, now and in the past. It's a part of life and turning it into a political tirade is sad.
I bet you and your kind were all over Bush for Katrina. Whether it is fair or not Obama should get blamed for this just like Bush did. All is fair in religion and politics baby. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky