Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The most logical thing is to do what KU did in Lexington after the 2003 storm --> remove all trees or large branches that are near power lines.

Power outages are always worse in the older parts of Louisville due to all the HUGE trees, many of which are more than 100 years old. A little trimming on them wouldn't help too much
There are people who's jobs are to do just that (and then some) every single day (My husband being one of those people.) But a 3-4 man crew can only clear so many spans a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The most logical thing is to do what KU did in Lexington after the 2003 storm --> remove all trees or large branches that are near power lines.

Power outages are always worse in the older parts of Louisville due to all the HUGE trees, many of which are more than 100 years old. A little trimming on them wouldn't help too much
They could put them underground, my TV, Internet and Phone are all underground from the feed point to every house and they only went out for a short time do to power, they got generators and it was back up within a a couple of days. The power on the other hand was out at my house for 2 weeks and still out in many areas, I lost 3 HUGE trees so they could move a line out of a empty field to a heavily tree lined country road .... absolute genius!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
They could put them underground, my TV, Internet and Phone are all underground from the feed point to every house and they only went out for a short time do to power, they got generators and it was back up within a a couple of days. The power on the other hand was out at my house for 2 weeks and still out in many areas, I lost 3 HUGE trees so they could move a line out of a empty field to a heavily tree lined country road .... absolute genius!

At the VERY LEAST, they could use metal poles instead of wood. They are being used by Murray Electric System. They will not snap in two like wood. Yes, it does cost more for the metal poles, but it sure as hell would be cheaper than running them underground. I think the rural electric companies love to keep placing the same junk out in the field over and over so the line workers will have a job. They say the cost is "way too much" to bury the lines. I would be willing to pay an extra $25/month on my bill if they would bury them.

By the way, the weather is calling for 30+ mph winds tonight. I'm getting our generator ready. WKRECC service is a joke and has gone out at our house 10 times since we moved in our house this past October.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
I just went and bought space heaters cause I hear 60 mph winds tomorrow. The poles here didn't snap this time, it was the lines themselves. In the past five months I have been without power for 11 days, I have never had that happen here before! I can't imagine how y'all in rural Kentucky feel God bless ya! I am taking matters into my own hands, I won't wait for the government this time, no sir! I know better now and I hope all y'all do the same.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
By the way, the weather is calling for 30+ mph winds tonight. I'm getting our generator ready. WKRECC service is a joke and has gone out at our house 10 times since we moved in our house this past October.
Then you need to go to the WKRECC co-op meeting in July there are a lot of people that aren't impressed with the way they handled this mess. They raise the rates all the time and never upgrade the system I've had a generator for years do to their shotty power supply ... I think it's ran in 2 rats and a hunk of cheese. It should be better now as the nearly the entire thing was replaced.

Speaking of poles the poles they replace in my field were put in 1939, according to a very old man who lived down the road his entire life. He said he remembered when they put them in (power for the first time) and they've never been replaced, they were bleached out white, had lineman pegs and spike marks from old lineman spikes and all very brittle. Nearly everyone of them snapped like a twig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
In the past five months I have been without power for 11 days, I have never had that happen here before! I can't imagine how y'all in rural Kentucky feel God bless ya! I am taking matters into my own hands, I won't wait for the government this time, no sir! I know better now and I hope all y'all do the same.
In the last 5 months ... I could count the days, this time (ice storm) was 14 days, Ike was 7 days and there was a few assorted 1 or 2 days in there too. just in the last few months. It gets old.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Then you need to go to the WKRECC co-op meeting in July there are a lot of people that aren't impressed with the way they handled this mess. They raise the rates all the time and never upgrade the system I've had a generator for years do to their shotty power supply ... I think it's ran in 2 rats and a hunk of cheese. It should be better now as the nearly the entire thing was replaced.

Speaking of poles the poles they replace in my field were put in 1939, according to a very old man who lived down the road his entire life. He said he remembered when they put them in (power for the first time) and they've never been replaced, they were bleached out white, had lineman pegs and spike marks from old lineman spikes and all very brittle. Nearly everyone of them snapped like a twig.

In the last 5 months ... I could count the days, this time (ice storm) was 14 days, Ike was 7 days and there was a few assorted 1 or 2 days in there too. just in the last few months. It gets old.
Davart 11 days for me and 21 days for you plus extra days is too many any way you look at it.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM

137 posts, read 294,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I am truly saddened by some of the posts I have read in this thread.
Blankets and extra clothes do no good when the temperatures do not get above 30 during the day and range from 5 to 20 degrees during the nights for 5 days.
Those people were just trying to stay alive and doing the best they could in a bad situation. Could we not show a little compassion?
Compassion?! Of course I have compassion. But I'm referring to common sense.

And I know people are trying to stay alive, that's exactly why you SHOULDN'T bring a grill inside. Get a clue.

If you don't think blankets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. work, then what do you suggest?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,493 times
That is just the point. These people may have had no choice but to try to keep from freezing to death the best way they could. If I am ever faced with the choice of certain death by freezing or possible death by carbon monoxide, guess where I am going. Some of us had no choice but to stay in place through this because we could not get out. The next time the temperature gets to 5 degrees try getting as many clothes and blankets as you want and spending the night in an unheated building. I doubt that you will be able to stand it for long.
I am not asking for pity, either for myself or for others, I am only asking that you understand that this ice storm is not something we normally experience and are not prepared for, and people handle it the best they can. Some of us don't make it. If any of the families are reading this, my heart goes out to you.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
That is just the point. These people may have had no choice but to try to keep from freezing to death the best way they could. If I am ever faced with the choice of certain death by freezing or possible death by carbon monoxide, guess where I am going. Some of us had no choice but to stay in place through this because we could not get out. The next time the temperature gets to 5 degrees try getting as many clothes and blankets as you want and spending the night in an unheated building. I doubt that you will be able to stand it for long.
I am not asking for pity, either for myself or for others, I am only asking that you understand that this ice storm is not something we normally experience and are not prepared for, and people handle it the best they can. Some of us don't make it. If any of the families are reading this, my heart goes out to you.
Not to jump in this little spat, but you can stay warm at 5 degrees and even colder if you huddle or use layers you don't have to have a heat source your body is the heat source, it would have to stay very cold for several days to bring the inside temperature down that cold. A little knowledge and wisdom goes a long way, the point is if you use a charcoal grill inside, or some other carbon monoxide spitting device ... well that's just thinning the herd.

The easiest thing to do is get in a bathroom (small room) with a couple of candles, the room is not air tight and candle put off very little carbon monoxide and will keep the room warm enough to survive with blankets or layered clothes. Leave the door cracked to allow the influx of fresh air, but the confined space will hold in the warmth.

Last edited by Davart; 02-11-2009 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,493 times
It did stay very cold for several days. In fact the temps where I am at ranged from 5 degrees to 30 degrees for over a week. We were without power for 11 days and blocked in from downed trees for 4 days before we could cut ourselves out. Some people did die from hypothermia, but I guess that is just thinning the herd. All I am trying to say is these people were just trying to survive and doing the best they could in a bad situation. Do we really have to heap criticism on top of tragedy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky