Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
Madisonville is larger, has better chance for jobs, more schools, more shopping, and is closer to larger cities in Evansville, IN and Nashville, TN. If I was moving from out of state and I had Madisonville and London to choose from, I would go with Madisonville. Just a better part of the state for me. That's my short answer. Want a larger one, let me know! LOL!
London has more jobs and a better economy than Madisonville. London is a fast growing area, Madisonville is not. London is close to Lexington and Knoxville. London is the county seat of Laurel County which has a population of 60,000. So Madisonville is actually smaller, because Hopkins County's population is only 46,000. London is getting a large new hospital that will be completed in 2010. Construction is well under way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 AM

408 posts, read 871,152 times
One question- employment. What kind of employment will you and/or your spouse be looking for. I would say that would play a factor in determining where to move. I don't know that much about Madisonville, but I know in London the employment situation varies by the type of job being looked for.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
A general statistical view of each county (since London has a small city limits w/ a similar county size)

Persons below poverty: Hopkins Co 16.8%, Laurel Co 20.4%
Bachelor's degree or higher: Hopkins Co 10.6%, Laurel Co 10.6%
Change in non farm employment 00-05: Hopkins Co -0.5%, Laurel Co 18.2%

Hopkins County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Laurel County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Hey, Michael, when talking about places to eat in Madisonville, let's not forget Ferrell's downtown! lol

Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM

180 posts, read 596,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
London has more jobs and a better economy than Madisonville. London is a fast growing area, Madisonville is not. London is close to Lexington and Knoxville. London is the county seat of Laurel County which has a population of 60,000. So Madisonville is actually smaller, because Hopkins County's population is only 46,000. London is getting a large new hospital that will be completed in 2010. Construction is well under way.

I'm not getting into a pissing match over Madisonville and London. Madisonville is like the rest of the western part of the state in that they have to wait for all the money to get spent in Eastern KY (read London, Hazard, Pikeville, etc.) before they get a chance at having any state attention. With that said, have you been to Madisonville recently? It's not exactly stagnant and the economy is fine. Matter of fact, the economy is quite diversified for a city it's size. I was there just a few weeks ago and I doubt much has changed since then, but the place is moving in the right direction.

Trying to say London has 60,000 is just wrong. That's like saying my hometown of Central City has 31,000 people because Muhlenberg County is that big. That's just wrong. Compare the cities and compare their positives and negatives. I think in the end, Madisonville wins out. Both cities are very similar but I wouldn't put London in the same "class" of city that Madisonville is in. Although, most lawmakers in Frankfort feel that London hung the moon for the state (thanks Wal Mart), when in reality both are similar cities. I have been to both and London, to me, is a rest stop on 75 and Madisonville is more of a destination between two large cities (Evansville and Clarksville/Nashville). With all that said, it is important to add that Madisonville is also a County Seat and home to a very large medical complex. Madisonville has a community college, it has a mall and large lifestyle center planned, it's easily accessible, and it's relatively close to large cities, and has a very well established manufacturing sector with GE Jet Engines, and many auto suppliers. If being close to a large city is your thing, Lexington and Nashville....which would you rather be closer to? It's all totally subjective. I said all that to show that both are similar in many ways.

I would say a trip to both cities would be in order for the original poster. let them decide as opposed to our biased opinions.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting into a pissing match over Madisonville and London. Madisonville is like the rest of the western part of the state in that they have to wait for all the money to get spent in Eastern KY (read London, Hazard, Pikeville, etc.) before they get a chance at having any state attention. With that said, have you been to Madisonville recently? It's not exactly stagnant and the economy is fine. Matter of fact, the economy is quite diversified for a city it's size. I was there just a few weeks ago and I doubt much has changed since then, but the place is moving in the right direction.

Trying to say London has 60,000 is just wrong. That's like saying my hometown of Central City has 31,000 people because Muhlenberg County is that big. That's just wrong. Compare the cities and compare their positives and negatives. I think in the end, Madisonville wins out. Both cities are very similar but I wouldn't put London in the same "class" of city that Madisonville is in. Although, most lawmakers in Frankfort feel that London hung the moon for the state (thanks Wal Mart), when in reality both are similar cities. I have been to both and London, to me, is a rest stop on 75 and Madisonville is more of a destination between two large cities (Evansville and Clarksville/Nashville). With all that said, it is important to add that Madisonville is also a County Seat and home to a very large medical complex. Madisonville has a community college, it has a mall and large lifestyle center planned, it's easily accessible, and it's relatively close to large cities, and has a very well established manufacturing sector with GE Jet Engines, and many auto suppliers. If being close to a large city is your thing, Lexington and Nashville....which would you rather be closer to? It's all totally subjective. I said all that to show that both are similar in many ways.

I would say a trip to both cities would be in order for the original poster. let them decide as opposed to our biased opinions.
London is not considered Eastern KY for one thing, and another thing I don't know what you mean "pissing match." I'm simply comparing the two towns, not trying to argue about which is better. I'm simply correcting you on what you posted in an earlier post. Chill...

Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
London is not considered Eastern KY for one thing, and another thing I don't know what you mean "pissing match." I'm simply comparing the two towns, not trying to argue about which is better. I'm simply correcting you on what you posted in an earlier post. Chill...
But you didn't correct me in your post. You stated things in a way that skewed the facts, like the population statement for example. I think Madisonville, a city with over 16,000 people would offer more for a person than one with right at 8,000. I mean, it's really just splitting hairs at this point. But the point remains that Madisonville would offer them that "larger city" feel while still remaining true to its roots, a small town. Really can't argue with that.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
But you didn't correct me in your post. You stated things in a way that skewed the facts, like the population statement for example. I think Madisonville, a city with over 16,000 people would offer more for a person than one with right at 8,000. I mean, it's really just splitting hairs at this point. But the point remains that Madisonville would offer them that "larger city" feel while still remaining true to its roots, a small town. Really can't argue with that.
Madisonville doesn't have a Starbucks though. London does....

Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Madisonville doesn't have a Starbucks though. London does....

Well, they are closing over 700 domestic stores this year so time will tell.

Starbucks isn't what makes a city as we all know. For me, I prefer the small original coffee houses. Not very common in small towns, but in cities like Nashville, they are very common. Perhaps I am spoiled by the lifestyle, LOL!

Oh BTW, London is part of Eastern Kentucky. It is positioned on the Appalachian Plateau which is typically used as the dividing line between Eastern Kentucky and the rest.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Well, they are closing over 700 domestic stores this year so time will tell.

Starbucks isn't what makes a city as we all know. For me, I prefer the small original coffee houses. Not very common in small towns, but in cities like Nashville, they are very common. Perhaps I am spoiled by the lifestyle, LOL!

Oh BTW, London is part of Eastern Kentucky. It is positioned on the Appalachian Plateau which is typically used as the dividing line between Eastern Kentucky and the rest.
300 this year you mean, 100 of that will be in other countries. The one here will not be closing.

London is considered Southeast and sometimes South Central KY.

Somebody doesn't know anything about London like they think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky