U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,896,829 times

Advertisements

I agree with Dixie and the other poster never did come back to answer our questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
I have lived in both midwestern and southern states. ( Michigan and the Tri Cities area of TN ) and I can say that Kentucky is neither. Kentucky is not southern, the culture even 100 miles away in Tennessee is alot different. I think Kentucky is one of those states that really doesnt fit into either category.
Are those the only places in the South and Midwest you have lived?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM

200 posts, read 509,394 times
Nope I have also lived in Greensboro North Carolina and in Northern Kentucky. Greensboro is def not southern either its much like Kentucky. and Northern Kentucky is def more closer to Midwest than the rest of the state from what I have seen.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,978 times
I'm from Western Kentucky (born in Madisonville - live in Owensboro) and consider myself VERY Southern indeed. When we lived briefly in Iowa and Illinois, people were always asking me which part of the south I was from. So the accent's quite noticeable.

Also, I think of a few traits when I think of southerners: Polite, laid back, friendly, and fond of great southern food! So in those regards, I'd say we're definitely southern - as southern as the food we eat!

Great question, by the way!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine Kentucky View Post
I'm from Western Kentucky (born in Madisonville - live in Owensboro) and consider myself VERY Southern indeed. When we lived briefly in Iowa and Illinois, people were always asking me which part of the south I was from. So the accent's quite noticeable.

Also, I think of a few traits when I think of southerners: Polite, laid back, friendly, and fond of great southern food! So in those regards, I'd say we're definitely southern - as southern as the food we eat!

Great question, by the way!
Well I'd say by this thread and others we as a whole are very much proud of being Southerners.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Nope I have also lived in Greensboro North Carolina and in Northern Kentucky. Greensboro is def not southern either its much like Kentucky. and Northern Kentucky is def more closer to Midwest than the rest of the state from what I have seen.
What part of Kentucky do you live in? I can't say anything about Greensboro but NC is most definately Southern!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM

People in Alabama and Mississippi would laugh at the thought of considering Kentucky or much of North Carolina as southerners lol.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 52,714 times
i think eastern ky ,where i live by the way in louisa, is very very country i personally dont care but i do get offended when people talk about all of kentucky when only visiting 2 or 3 places and making a statment that quite frankly should have been said at all ,i am just curiouse also as to why you have all these posts about how southern virginia is compared to ky because for one location is one thing to look at but being southern or country comes from each individual and how you have grown up in my opinion but anyway i dont feel like typing any more so in my advise if you want to see country come hear to louisa or martin or pikeville or basicly any town in eastern ky because clearly you havent seen much of this side and i cant speak for how west ky is because i havent been there and interacted with anyone from there so anyway good luck on your complex you seem to have and just let it go ....ok just LET IT GO

Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,240,825 times
Quote:
People in Alabama and Mississippi would laugh at the thought of considering Kentucky or much of North Carolina as southerners lol.

That is totally not true. I have family on the coast of Mississippi and they consider Kentucky southern. As a matter of fact there is very little difference in people there and here.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM

So what if thats what your family or friends think? lol I know people in those states who laugh at the thought of Kentuckians as southerners. You people kill me. There are differences of opinions.... just as this forum has shown Just because you or your family think something doesnt make it true, just as what I think may not be true. Damn those independent thinkers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky