U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Here's a great radio station located in Whitesburg, Ky. Good music, interesting news, and real people. I'd smoke some with them anyday! It's people that want to preserve their authentic culture, improve living conditions and protect their environment.
WMMT FM 88.7 | Real People Radio (http://appalshop.org/wmmt/ - broken link)
Hey thank you so much for making me aware of this station, I listen to it all the time now, I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 34,366 times
I dont know why Ohio people have to come down here they need to stay at the house. Why cant they drive the speed limit or faster why they always drivin 10 mph lower.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM

102 posts, read 187,180 times
I had to laugh looking at those pictures leading this thread. if those are the best pictures you can find of Eastern Kentucky, that is just sad.

Considering that eastern KY has the worst life expectancy in the entire US, what do you expect the media to show? The nice areas? Bwww haa haa haa

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

200 posts, read 493,775 times
The media shows what gets ratings. Diane Sawyer should be ashamed of herself. She was actually born in Glasgow. Which in all honesty isnt much better than alot of Eastern Kentucky. ABC came in here with their cameras and went to the most poor, run down shacks they could find. They didnt bother showing the most state of the art High School in the state in Harlan County High School. Nor did they bothern to mention that Harlan High School recieved THE highest arts and humanities test scores in the entire state in 2006. They didnt bother to recognize countless programs going on in our community to fight drugs. Yes, at times it may seem things in Appalachia are pretty bad. But in all honesty, its not no worse here than it is in many other parts of the country.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM

102 posts, read 187,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
The media shows what gets ratings. Diane Sawyer should be ashamed of herself. She was actually born in Glasgow. Which in all honesty isnt much better than alot of Eastern Kentucky. ABC came in here with their cameras and went to the most poor, run down shacks they could find. They didnt bother showing the most state of the art High School in the state in Harlan County High School. Nor did they bothern to mention that Harlan High School recieved THE highest arts and humanities test scores in the entire state in 2006. They didnt bother to recognize countless programs going on in our community to fight drugs. Yes, at times it may seem things in Appalachia are pretty bad. But in all honesty, its not no worse here than it is in many other parts of the country.
I just gotta laugh at this. Ok, there are worse areas of the country, Indian reservations for example. But eastern KY and WV are pretty bad, and a couple of laughable pictures of Ashland don't change that. By any objective measure - poverty rates, life expectancy, levels of education - the area is seriously lacking. You can whine and cry when the media does their job, but that doesn't change the facts.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 PM

3,458 posts, read 5,433,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
I just gotta laugh at this. Ok, there are worse areas of the country, Indian reservations for example. But eastern KY and WV are pretty bad, and a couple of laughable pictures of Ashland don't change that. By any objective measure - poverty rates, life expectancy, levels of education - the area is seriously lacking. You can whine and cry when the media does their job, but that doesn't change the facts.
Pretty much sums it up!

There are a few neighborhoods around Ashland, Greenup, Pikeville, Hazard, Corbin, and London with any significant amount of wealth. And, even at that, the largest town in the bunch is Ashland at only 21,000, a town rapidly in decline since the 1970s. This wealth accounts for such a miniscule segment of their local populations that it's almost insignificant.

I know Jamie40829 strongly pushes Harlan Co. Public Schools, but top scores in one category and a nice, new, state-of-the-art high school do not alone comprise a decent system. The ONLY systems in E. Ky. that even have anything halfway decent to offer overall are Russell (the best of the list,) Ashland, Raceland-Worthington, Pikeville, and Corbin. This is the entire eastern half of Kentucky here! Not even Lexington has an impressively good school system (but, ooooh, aaaaah, it's Lexington, home of UK, "big city," horse farm wealth, high taxes, blah blah blah...) The BEST schools in the Commonwealth are clustered around Northern Kentucky, Owensboro and Louisville, in that order.

E. Ky. is beautiful, but boy does it sure have problems!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM

200 posts, read 493,775 times
lol......I dont push the county schools. while I did complement the districts over priced state of the art high school. I push the independent district whos test scores continually rank in the top 10% of the state year after year after year. I do realize there are problems. But you can find problems in any part of the state. Find me an area that you cant. It doesnt exist. Things arent as bad as the media wants you to believe. Do you think for one minute that the areas they shown on that program is representative of the majority of the area? My family, my friends and my neighbors are all middle class hard working people. Why accentuate the negative? Im not saying there isnt bad things in the area. But there are good things going on why not talk about those some? a little encouragement goes a long way. Regardless of what people may think. The Kentucky state line is not at Richmond.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,039,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Pretty much sums it up!

There are a few neighborhoods around Ashland, Greenup, Pikeville, Hazard, Corbin, and London with any significant amount of wealth. And, even at that, the largest town in the bunch is Ashland at only 21,000, a town rapidly in decline since the 1970s. This wealth accounts for such a miniscule segment of their local populations that it's almost insignificant.

I know Jamie40829 strongly pushes Harlan Co. Public Schools, but top scores in one category and a nice, new, state-of-the-art high school do not alone comprise a decent system. The ONLY systems in E. Ky. that even have anything halfway decent to offer overall are Russell (the best of the list,) Ashland, Raceland-Worthington, Pikeville, and Corbin. This is the entire eastern half of Kentucky here! Not even Lexington has an impressively good school system (but, ooooh, aaaaah, it's Lexington, home of UK, "big city," horse farm wealth, high taxes, blah blah blah...) The BEST schools in the Commonwealth are clustered around Northern Kentucky, Owensboro and Louisville, in that order.

E. Ky. is beautiful, but boy does it sure have problems!

We have some excellent schools in Bowling Green and Warren County, thank you. I can see you are being your usual ambassador of negativity toward Kentucky today...lol.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,039,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
lol......I dont push the county schools. while I did complement the districts over priced state of the art high school. I push the independent district whos test scores continually rank in the top 10% of the state year after year after year. I do realize there are problems. But you can find problems in any part of the state. Find me an area that you cant. It doesnt exist. Things arent as bad as the media wants you to believe. Do you think for one minute that the areas they shown on that program is representative of the majority of the area? My family, my friends and my neighbors are all middle class hard working people. Why accentuate the negative? Im not saying there isnt bad things in the area. But there are good things going on why not talk about those some? a little encouragement goes a long way. Regardless of what people may think. The Kentucky state line is not at Richmond.

Well said, Jaime.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM

28 posts, read 48,313 times
My family and I are relocating from Detroit area and we seem pleased with the Ashland area. I looked up schools and infact Russell has ranked very good overall in the state as well as some Ashland area schools. I think south Ashland. I do not know alot about the areas but I also read GA. and WV ranked #1 for best/most technology in there classrooms. As everyone is entitled to there oponion I just hope I am not making a bad decision. I seem to like alot that I have read about E.KY. But whenever I tell someone here in MI we're moving to E.KY they automatically assume it's what Diane Sawyer did on 20/20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky