U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,893 times
Default Trespassers and Landowner Liability in Kentucky

We've recently acquired a small amount of wooded, undeveloped acreage in rural West KY. It has been brought to our attention that we have had people trespassing on the property (haven't caught any one yet), both on foot and on four-wheelers. The property has not yet been posted (will be real soon now). However, I've been told that no trespassing signs do not really provide any real protection to the landowner in terms of liability.

Searching on the Internet has not provided any definitive answers as to whether this is correct...anyone out there with experience/knowledge on this topic who can direct me to up-to-date info? (Aside from the obvious: call an attorney

Also, is there any particular format required for trespassing signs? I've seen some that have a place for the owner's name and phone number. I'm not particularly excited about hanging my contact info out there for any clown who is already wandering around where they shouldn't be.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,111,279 times
For the type of 'liability release' that you're looking for, i.e. not losing a $2 million lawsuit, isn't it worth it to contact a real estate attorney for a short consult?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,863 times
Default trespassing on property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondering92 View Post
We've recently acquired a small amount of wooded, undeveloped acreage in rural West KY. It has been brought to our attention that we have had people trespassing on the property (haven't caught any one yet), both on foot and on four-wheelers. The property has not yet been posted (will be real soon now). However, I've been told that no trespassing signs do not really provide any real protection to the landowner in terms of liability.

Searching on the Internet has not provided any definitive answers as to whether this is correct...anyone out there with experience/knowledge on this topic who can direct me to up-to-date info? (Aside from the obvious: call an attorney

Also, is there any particular format required for trespassing signs? I've seen some that have a place for the owner's name and phone number. I'm not particularly excited about hanging my contact info out there for any clown who is already wandering around where they shouldn't be.

Thanks!

yes, there are things in my area that is done, which is placing an add in the local news paper. all private land no trespassing,and also post the land and trespassing people are took to court by owners.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,098,613 times
So far: K.R.S. 511.090(4) A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed does not commit criminal trespass unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of the land or some other authorized person or unless notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.

but I can't find much of anything else. You may want to call a lawyer and ask them. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 4,199,346 times
Good fences make good neighbors.

AS far as trespassing goes, a sign doesn't cut it ... anyone can say "I didn't see the sign." You have to tell them. I have people cutting across my woods on occasion. I've made it clear, I'll allow it as long as you don't trash it up/damage things/hunt illegally/etc. So far It's worked out well.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM

5,254 posts, read 11,124,906 times
yep - you need a fence. We had this problem for a while when we moved into a redneck area. They just ripped down the signs. Barb wire is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky