U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 PM

8,755 posts, read 9,180,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I learned from a third grader a long time ago, the way to get rid of a lot of the salt in country ham is put the ham slice in a deep pan and pour 7 Up on it. Worked pretty good!

My mother always used ginger ale to soak them in before she baked it. That is pretty much the same effect I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 PM

8,407 posts, read 13,863,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
My mother always used ginger ale to soak them in before she baked it. That is pretty much the same effect I guess.
Yeah, just something to take some of the salt out. I used to go to Meacham's Hams every now and then. You walk in that place and just the smell of that salt makes your blood pressure shoot up 20 points! lol
But the ham sure is gooooood! Their smoked cheddar cheese is delicious, especially in sausage balls around Christmas.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM

8,755 posts, read 9,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Yeah, just something to take some of the salt out. I used to go to Meacham's Hams every now and then. You walk in that place and just the smell of that salt makes your blood pressure shoot up 20 points! lol
But the ham sure is gooooood! Their smoked cheddar cheese is delicious, especially in sausage balls around Christmas.

Yum, I might have to order some of that smoked cheese. My husband loves country ham. I can eat a little of it, but too much upsets my stomach.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 PM

98 posts, read 360,336 times
Love the things I have read above. Come on Dave, what ARE your secret spices????? I have heard of glazing with coke and saw on the food channel that a restaurant was using root beer. Haven't heard of gingerale or 7 Up, but they sound good. When I get to Ky. I am going to get myself one of those great salty hams, and try to calm it down a little, so my BP doesn't got up sky high!

Am looking forward to the local sausage, too. And trying the local sodas.....

Last edited by IrishTiltedKilt; 02-27-2009 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
I live in louisville, ky. And I'm trying to find kuntry boy sausage. Does anyone know where the closest place to buy it?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM

169 posts, read 338,539 times
Really? No one has mentioned Big Red soda, yet?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM

8,707 posts, read 4,800,189 times
I work in a Deli, and we use Finchville Country Hams from Finchville, Kentucky.
Pretty good stuff!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM

161 posts, read 365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Really? No one has mentioned Big Red soda, yet?
If you eat White Castles you HAVE to drink Big Red with them!

Purnells is the best local sausage in my opinion as well, but since moving to Florida I settle for Bob Evans.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,225,658 times
Well, well, well.... Let me tell you all this, there is no need to hide your recipes. I'll give you mine for free, and if you find a better ham anywhere, send me that recipe.

Unless you have a phenominal set of taste buds, the brand of country ham won't matter with this recipe.

Have your ham sliced by the butcher into 1/4 inch slices. Be certain the ham slices stay in their original order as you will place the entire sliced ham as though uncut into a dutch oven. In a bowl (I actually use a large glass measuring cup), place 4 cups of brown sugar, add 1 12oz original Coca-Cola and 2 4oz cans of pineapple juice. Stir the sugar-coke-pineapple mix until all the brown sugar is dissolved. Once completely disolved, pour the mixture over the ham. Add about 1 tablespoon of whole cloves to the top. Place the ham into the oven, then set the temp to 225 (no more). After one hour baste the ham well with the liquid stock which now surrounds the ham, then until done, baste the ham ever 30 minutes. The ham will take about 4 hours to cook. Cook until the center of the ham is between 140 & 150 degrees according to a meat thermometer. (Poor boys thermometer, when the meat falls off the bone simply by lifting the edge of a piece.)

PS: best everyday sausage, Purnell's Smoked. Best special event sausage, Father's Country Sausage (Bremen, KY)

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,814 times
Does anyone know how to cook a whole Coon Creek brown sugar cured, smoked ham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or