U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,669 times

Advertisements

I've lived in 9 different states, visited alot more. I've lived in rural, city, and suburban areas. Not once in my entire life have I ever seen such a total disregard to common courtesy. I've lived here for about a year and a half, and I have yet to see a single police officer use a turn signal, do the speed limit, or not tailgate. If I drive to the local mall, about .7 miles away, i'll be cut off at least 10 times by civilians. If I say hi to anyone, I get a dirty look (im not fabio, but im not elephant man either). Every child seems to have the need to scream at each other, just having normal conversations, 3 ft. away from each other. If I walk to the local grocery store, i'll find a few used drug needles on the ground. 1/10 vehicles have a confederate flag on them. It seems at least 85% of the local population just doesnt know how to function properly in society. I grew up in the larger cities and towns of the northeast, and I came down here for some calm, peacefull living. Mistake. I had fewer problems with neighbors when I lived in center city Philly. I've been pulled over less when delivering pizza's in Queens NYC (in boone: once pulled over for "registration", when they hit their light while FACING my vehicle not even seeing my plate, once pulled over for "i reckon you were "swervin" " during 45 mph wind storm, no tickets). I don't know if it's the water, the massive amounts of local meth, or just a lack of education, but this area is easily the worst place I have ever lived. Kenzington philly. Bronx NYC. Miami FL. All of these urban areas have nicer people, more helpfull civil servants, and offer more respect. If your thinking of moving here, don't. If your from here, stay here, we don't need this infection speading. I've tried everything possible to be a normal, supportive citizen, but all im met with is a nose in the air from the white community, racism from the black community, and just totally ignored by the hispanic community (i'm white, though it shouldnt matter what I am).

Racism, Ignorance, and stupidity only understand one thing: violence. thats all they want, thats all they hear, thats all they see. I'm not being a tough guy, or threatening anyone whatsoever, the internet is not the place for that; but the next one you backwards people go out of your way for no reason to try and hurt me, damage my property, or insult me, I won't hold my tongue. Or my combat training/experience and several years of mma.

/rant off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,916,282 times
Sorry to hear you have had a bad time.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,669 times
If your from boone county, then thank you, thats the nicest thing anyone from here has said to me

Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM

No, actually I'm in Jefferson County (Louisville) but you're welcome anyway.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:19 PM

145 posts, read 465,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechaosmii View Post
I've lived in 9 different states, visited alot more. I've lived in rural, city, and suburban areas. Not once in my entire life have I ever seen such a total disregard to common courtesy. I've lived here for about a year and a half, and I have yet to see a single police officer use a turn signal, do the speed limit, or not tailgate. If I drive to the local mall, about .7 miles away, i'll be cut off at least 10 times by civilians. If I say hi to anyone, I get a dirty look (im not fabio, but im not elephant man either). Every child seems to have the need to scream at each other, just having normal conversations, 3 ft. away from each other. If I walk to the local grocery store, i'll find a few used drug needles on the ground. 1/10 vehicles have a confederate flag on them. It seems at least 85% of the local population just doesnt know how to function properly in society. I grew up in the larger cities and towns of the northeast, and I came down here for some calm, peacefull living. Mistake. I had fewer problems with neighbors when I lived in center city Philly. I've been pulled over less when delivering pizza's in Queens NYC (in boone: once pulled over for "registration", when they hit their light while FACING my vehicle not even seeing my plate, once pulled over for "i reckon you were "swervin" " during 45 mph wind storm, no tickets). I don't know if it's the water, the massive amounts of local meth, or just a lack of education, but this area is easily the worst place I have ever lived. Kenzington philly. Bronx NYC. Miami FL. All of these urban areas have nicer people, more helpfull civil servants, and offer more respect. If your thinking of moving here, don't. If your from here, stay here, we don't need this infection speading. I've tried everything possible to be a normal, supportive citizen, but all im met with is a nose in the air from the white community, racism from the black community, and just totally ignored by the hispanic community (i'm white, though it shouldnt matter what I am).

Racism, Ignorance, and stupidity only understand one thing: violence. thats all they want, thats all they hear, thats all they see. I'm not being a tough guy, or threatening anyone whatsoever, the internet is not the place for that; but the next one you backwards people go out of your way for no reason to try and hurt me, damage my property, or insult me, I won't hold my tongue. Or my combat training/experience and several years of mma.

/rant off.
I don't know where you live but I find your comments laughable. Don't take yourself so seriously. Boone county is one of the fastest growing counties in the state as well as one of the more affluent ones. I lived in nky for 20 years and maybe saw 3 cars with confederate flags on them. I can't speak for the kids but it is comical to read your meth and needle statements. I don't know where you live but that just isn't the case. Boone county has some of the nicest communities in the area. Go around triple crown or oakbrook and see how backwards people are. The way you say it you must have a target on your body with everyone trying to hurt you and your property and trying to run you over. No place is perfect but your rant is way out of line from reality. Count to ten and have some sweet tea.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,134,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechaosmii View Post

/rant off.

Sounds like you live on the wrong side of the tracks. It seems every place, large or small has a backwards kind of mentality. My wife and I used to live in an upper class neighborhood in Indiana and 90% of neighbors would not speak, wave, or smile at us. We had same kind of house, new cars but were truck drivers, oh my!!!

Now we live in Pulaski county Kentucky, in a not very nice trailer park, due to disability and a lack of income. We were nervous coming here but neighbors here wave, smile and talk to us. We all have crappy trailers, ugly cars, and live behind an Outlaw motorcycle gang clubhouse.
we also notice most very one in this small community of 25,000 is pretty nice. Cops here also have a peice of brain caught in their heads and don't know what a signal light is, tailgate and seem to have a quota for just about anything.

So its not just Boone county it can be anywhere U.S.A. You just need to find the right fit. Good Luck and I'll wave at you if you come into my neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I don't know where you live but I find your comments laughable. Don't take yourself so seriously. Boone county is one of the fastest growing counties in the state as well as one of the more affluent ones. I lived in nky for 20 years and maybe saw 3 cars with confederate flags on them. I can't speak for the kids but it is comical to read your meth and needle statements. I don't know where you live but that just isn't the case. Boone county has some of the nicest communities in the area. Go around triple crown or oakbrook and see how backwards people are. The way you say it you must have a target on your body with everyone trying to hurt you and your property and trying to run you over. No place is perfect but your rant is way out of line from reality. Count to ten and have some sweet tea.
Shoot I have seen more than three cars with rebel flags on them in my neighborhood, doesn't make it a bad

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,157 times
I moved to Boone County from the Northeast about 2 years ago, and I agree to a degree with what thechaosmii is saying about the people and law enforcement here - neither are very friendly. I find most people here to be the "tap-out/nascar" type - however, for some reason, they seem to see themselves as cultured and intelligent. Thankfully, I haven't had my property destroyed or any threats on me physically (yet).

Old 04-23-2011, 04:00 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times
Unfortunately, you can encounter ignorant and rude people anywhere. Even in generally friendly and polite Lexington, my long-time hometown, where today I found a four year old boy left completely unattended ("riding" the mechanical horse) outside the Dollar Store in Idle Hour. He said his mother was inside, so I held the door for him and told him to go inside and find his mom. I also informed the store's management as soon as I came through the door, directly behind the child.

Unfortunately, his mother, a woman who looked to be in her late twenties or early thirties, was in the store next door (but still was not supervising her child, who misunderstood where she was). When the mother eventually found the little boy (about two minutes later), I told her I'd told him to come inside, since he was by himself, had told me she was in the Dollar Store, and I thought he'd slipped out without her knowledge.

Instead of thanking me, she told me to mind my own business, then gave me the finger, called me a name I won't repeat, and added an earful of extremely profane and precise instructions about what to do with myself and to myself, then threatened to slap my face! I told her I'd worked with kids for over 25 years, didn't think four year olds should be left unattended, and was concerned - then got outta there.

No doubt she panicked when she came outside of the other store and didn't see her child - but still! She'd left him there alone in the first place and certainly demonstrated very displaced anger towards me.

What a prime role model for her poor little boy...who was clean, well-nourished, nicely dressed - and quite old enough to add to his vocabulary from Mama's horrible example.

Did this poor excuse for a parent move here from Boone County?? Who knows? But again, she was very untypical of your average Lexingtonian (thank goodness) and I'd venture that the broadly sweeping descriptions of Boone Countians don't apply to everyone there, either.

Having spent three years in Cincinnati a long time ago, I do know that people there and just across the river tend to be less outgoing than Central Kentuckians, and that sometimes their frequently encountered abrupt manner can be off-putting to those from other places. Hang in there...

I do hope you meet some more pleasant people soon. Perhaps a move to another neighborhood is in order?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM

213 posts, read 726,377 times
From NY, lived in Boone County for about 4 years..

Never ran into a problem, no needles in the parking lots and not too many confederate flags.....also most neighborhoods in the Rt. 18 corridor seem to be fairly new and very nice (although they are basically planned communities). We were friends with most of our neighbors, who were older (we were in our late 20's)....

In fact after living in NY, Florida, Hawaii, and NJ I can't wait to get back to Cincy (Boone County)....

There are literally tons of things to do with your family there. The city is pretty clean, has a great skyline, and there are many museums, a great zoo, plenty of sports, some nightlife, plenty of entertainment and has great topography. Boone county is just a suburb of Cincy and if you travel 15 minutes North you can leave Boone county if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or