Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times

Advertisements

I thought Memphis was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I thought Memphis was?
Whereever good BBQ is made, in my opinion, that place has a right to call itself the Capital!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I love me some good Owensboro BBQ, that's for sure. In fact, it may be my favorite that I've tried in the U.S. (but then, of course, as a Western KY native, I'm biased).

On the other hand, Owensboro is the BBQ capital of the Western Coal Field. It doesn't have the repertoire and reputation that more storied places like Memphis, Kansas City and North Carolina have.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I love me some good Owensboro BBQ, that's for sure. In fact, it may be my favorite that I've tried in the U.S. (but then, of course, as a Western KY native, I'm biased).

On the other hand, Owensboro is the BBQ capital of the Western Coal Field. It doesn't have the repertoire and reputation that more storied places like Memphis, Kansas City and North Carolina have.
What separates Owensboro from the rest of the BBQ nation are two words, mutton and burgoo. No other "capital" can claim the all around kingdom because they don't do the spectrum like Owensboro.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I heard today that once a year there is a big Owensboro style BBQ festival in Louisville? When is that? I definitely want to taste some Owensboro style BBQ.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
What separates Owensboro from the rest of the BBQ nation are two words, mutton and burgoo. No other "capital" can claim the all around kingdom because they don't do the spectrum like Owensboro.
Does Owensboro do chicken and white sauce?

Other than Hickory Pit and Moonlite where would one recommend a barbecue tourist eat for mutton. Not going to try burgoo as a general rule I don't like most foods mixing especially in stuff like soups where it ends up just looking like a mess of a bunch of foods.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Does Owensboro do chicken and white sauce?

Other than Hickory Pit and Moonlite where would one recommend a barbecue tourist eat for mutton. Not going to try burgoo as a general rule I don't like most foods mixing especially in stuff like soups where it ends up just looking like a mess of a bunch of foods.
Any Saturday during the summer, one of the Catholic churches will have a BBQ. Those are the best other than the safety of Moonlite (for Democrats) or Old Hickory (for GOP) LOL

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 13,248 times
Most of Western KY is known for their Barbeque and Barbeque Festivals. We have a Barbeque Festival in Paducah every September. Huge Festival--all the barbeque & fixins you could ever want plus seasoned & cooked in a variety of ways. Come visit us in Paducah-you won't be disappointed.
Several towns have Barbeque Cook-offs & Festivals, Paducah, Owensboro, Henderson (next to Evansville), Murray, Cadiz, Louisville, Lexington. I am sure there are others.
In Western KY Paducah the best Barbeque is Harneds on Clarks River Road Southside Paducah & Kountry Kastle on SOuthside Paducah. In Lake CIty by KY Lake "Knoth's Barbeque & Fixins is great.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM

12 posts, read 14,900 times
Owensboro is the BBQ MUTTON capitol of the world, not BBQ in general. Although we make some dang-fine BBQ. I don't know when the slogan got changed from BBQ Mutton capitol to just BBQ capitol, but a lot of other BBQ towns take offense to Owensboro's claim to BBQ, with out knowing about us being the BBQ mutton capitol.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times
Moonlite BBQ is not for Democrats. That's about the silliest thing I've heard. Unless of course a Kentuckian said it! Moonlite BBQ is OVERRATED! Owensboro Kentucky is NOT the BBQ capitol of the world. Owensboro is a little bitty town that proclaims to be the capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky