U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,973 times
Default Moving to Northern Ky

Hi There I am moving with my husband and two, small children to Northern Ky/Cinci area. We are coming from North of Pittsburgh and I have never been to Cincinnati or Northern Ky. I am looking for some input I just put a more detailed post on the Cincinnati forum and don't know how to post it here as well...

Here is what I am looking for..
-safety/family friendly, (my girls and I do a lot of walking every day)
-easy access to church communities/groceries/medical offices, etc...a "downtown"
-I'm not much of an urban driver, so the more small-town feel, the better
-My husaband will be commuting to Southern Cinci for work, I will be home teaching the girls, taking care of the home, etc...he wants a reasonable commute to work, (a half hour or so...)
-Lots of trees would be great!!
-We love old homes but realize that we may have to buy new construction to be in a nice, safe area...

I am thinking that we will need to rent for a year until I get my bearings and see where we want to plant ourselves...have been looking at Alexandria, Florence, Independence, etc...
any thoughts??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM

241 posts, read 833,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBelle View Post
Hi There I am moving with my husband and two, small children to Northern Ky/Cinci area. We are coming from North of Pittsburgh and I have never been to Cincinnati or Northern Ky. I am looking for some input I just put a more detailed post on the Cincinnati forum and don't know how to post it here as well...

Here is what I am looking for..
-safety/family friendly, (my girls and I do a lot of walking every day)
-easy access to church communities/groceries/medical offices, etc...a "downtown"
-I'm not much of an urban driver, so the more small-town feel, the better
-My husaband will be commuting to Southern Cinci for work, I will be home teaching the girls, taking care of the home, etc...he wants a reasonable commute to work, (a half hour or so...)
-Lots of trees would be great!!
-We love old homes but realize that we may have to buy new construction to be in a nice, safe area...

I am thinking that we will need to rent for a year until I get my bearings and see where we want to plant ourselves...have been looking at Alexandria, Florence, Independence, etc...
any thoughts??
If you really want to avoid heavy traffic, you probably ought to scratch Florence off your list. Also, assuming your husband will be driving during rush hour, most locations in Boone County (where Florence is located) are going to be at the edge of or beyond the 30 min. drive-time window from downtown Cincinnati.

Alexandria or Independence might be good choices, though. Other communities you could check out include Park Hills, Villa Hills, Edgewood, Ft. Mitchell, and Ft. Wright in Kenton County and Cold Springs and Ft. Thomas in Campbell County.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,607 times
I agree with RuralGuy. But there's going to be heavy traffic from Florence to the river if you drive I-75 and I-471 in Campbell County. But you shouldn't let traffic jams totally dictate your next house. Ft. Wright is a nice, suburban area with easy access to I-75. Delays in the morning aren't bad considering you enter I-75 at Kyles Ln Exit 189 which is about ~2-3 miles to downtown Cincinnati. Much of Alexandria is rural and 10-15 miles to downtown Cincy. You said you weren't an urban driver. You can't really avoid "urban driving" in Cincy/NKY . And you also said you like "old homes". Covington (around Mainstrausse Village and by the river), has a lot of old homes. And you don't have to drive on the expressway, if you don't want to to get to Ohio. Might not be the safest place in the area, but you wouldn't have to worry about getting shot up walking down the street or getting robbed.
I'm not sure if you're limiting your choice to only NKY, but if you decide to look in Ohio, Western Hills would be a nice starting point. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 AM

3,213 posts, read 5,082,593 times
For a very nice suburb that has everything going for it: Crestview Hills. Only problem is that it's part of the Kenton County school district, which is poor quality frankly, and you'll end having to send your children to private school or paying a small tuition rate for the Boone County School District (which starts only 1/2 mi. W. of Crestview Hills.) Aside from this issue, CH might be my favorite suburb in the entire Commonwealth of KY.

If you didn't have kids, then I wouldn't care, but you can't compromise educational quality. Kentucky does not do education very good, but NKY as a whole has about as many positive options for education as anywhere in Kentucky, public and private. So, why not consider other nice suburbs such as:
  • Park Hills (still in Kenton, but I think part of the excellent Beechwood Independent public school system, only 5 min. from Downtown Cincinnati)
  • Erlanger (although there may be a little noise from the airport)
  • Villa Hills
  • Fort Thomas (over in Campbell Co., but has its own outstanding independent school system, and FT is a darling old 1870s-era hillside streetcar suburb)
  • Walton
  • Verona (rather rural, but still only 20 min. in good traffic from Downtown Cincy)
  • Rural Boone County--get some acreage and still be located in the BCPS District.
Erlanger will feel very suburban and Ft. Thomas even will find kind of light-density urban, but the rest are very small town in feel and composure. If you want old homes, well, for the most part you'd have to live in a town that might be a bit urban for your tastes as you've prescribed. (Independence on Hwy. 17 has a very nice historic district, but it's in the Kenton Co. School District and that could be a problem.) As far as churches go, there are Baptist and Catholic churches on every corner, so it seems, but whatever your preferences are you'll more than likely find your match on the Kentucky side of the river.

The N. Ky. counties, in general, could use some work in the parks department, but Devou Park in Covington, as well as its surrounding neighborhood, is absolutely beautiful; it's like unadulterated nature in an urban area. There is a new river bike/running trail spanning from Newport to Bellevue that is coming along, and plans are for a long trail to ultimately hug the river from Covington to Fort Thomas, about 10 miles. The best part of it so far is a refurbished old railroad bridge that has been transformed into a purple pedestrian bridge called (no joke) the Purple People Bridge; this connects you to Downtown Cincinnati and Mt. Adams and is, as I understand it, the southern terminus of the approximately 30-mile Loveland Bike Trail through Southwest Ohio.

Hope you enjoy NKY! It truly is my favorite part of KY, but instead I'm stuck down here in rural Central KY.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM

839 posts, read 1,902,926 times
you'd like hebron in boone county

Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM

6,758 posts, read 14,101,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
For a very nice suburb that has everything going for it: Crestview Hills. Only problem is that it's part of the Kenton County school district, which is poor quality frankly, and you'll end having to send your children to private school or paying a small tuition rate for the Boone County School District (which starts only 1/2 mi. W. of Crestview Hills.) Aside from this issue, CH might be my favorite suburb in the entire Commonwealth of KY.

If you didn't have kids, then I wouldn't care, but you can't compromise educational quality. Kentucky does not do education very good, but NKY as a whole has about as many positive options for education as anywhere in Kentucky, public and private. So, why not consider other nice suburbs such as:
  • Park Hills (still in Kenton, but I think part of the excellent Beechwood Independent public school system, only 5 min. from Downtown Cincinnati)
  • Erlanger (although there may be a little noise from the airport)
  • Villa Hills
  • Fort Thomas (over in Campbell Co., but has its own outstanding independent school system, and FT is a darling old 1870s-era hillside streetcar suburb)
  • Walton
  • Verona (rather rural, but still only 20 min. in good traffic from Downtown Cincy)
  • Rural Boone County--get some acreage and still be located in the BCPS District.
Erlanger will feel very suburban and Ft. Thomas even will find kind of light-density urban, but the rest are very small town in feel and composure. If you want old homes, well, for the most part you'd have to live in a town that might be a bit urban for your tastes as you've prescribed. (Independence on Hwy. 17 has a very nice historic district, but it's in the Kenton Co. School District and that could be a problem.) As far as churches go, there are Baptist and Catholic churches on every corner, so it seems, but whatever your preferences are you'll more than likely find your match on the Kentucky side of the river.

The N. Ky. counties, in general, could use some work in the parks department, but Devou Park in Covington, as well as its surrounding neighborhood, is absolutely beautiful; it's like unadulterated nature in an urban area. There is a new river bike/running trail spanning from Newport to Bellevue that is coming along, and plans are for a long trail to ultimately hug the river from Covington to Fort Thomas, about 10 miles. The best part of it so far is a refurbished old railroad bridge that has been transformed into a purple pedestrian bridge called (no joke) the Purple People Bridge; this connects you to Downtown Cincinnati and Mt. Adams and is, as I understand it, the southern terminus of the approximately 30-mile Loveland Bike Trail through Southwest Ohio.

Hope you enjoy NKY! It truly is my favorite part of KY, but instead I'm stuck down here in rural Central KY.
I think she said she will be homeschooling.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 9,973 times
Thank you all for your posts They were very helpful for my first visit there two weeks ago! We found some nice places in Florence, actually Oakbrook, (but traffic... might have to learn how to drive in urban areas...) and we loved Fort Thomas! It was beautiful, peaceful and was it's own community, (that is what I am use to, older communities that have everything you need in one place...), a bit more expensive for less yard and rooms in a home...I am watching prices daily. The other locations that we got to see seemed a bit too new home suburban for my husband's tastes and/or they didn't seem too walkable for myself and the girls...Oakbrook stood out because it seemed a bit quiter and more forest-ey. It is hard to get a good feel for areas so quickly...

I am very excited about moving to Northern Kentucky! It was beautiful land, similar to the Pgh area but more rolling hills... We got to go to Newport, walked the Purple People Bridge, the Florence Y'all Mall Driving around in general was pleasant with the sunshine and rolling hills. I am looking forward to exploring a lot more of the state once we move

If anyone has any added suggestions, please don't hesitate. We are still searching and plan to visit the area again the first week of June. I refer to this site and the forums quite a bit in my research...while I am thinking about it I will also add that we are looking for a place that has the best air quality that we can find in the area, my daughter has some recurring issues and needs a puffer a lot and I want to help her as much as I can...but we also need to be about a half hour away from my husband's office. The areas that I mentioned before seem to be better than the area we are coming from, and Alexandria is rated well, too.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm glad that I found this site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky