U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you notice more racism in paducah,ky?
yes and how? 2 66.67%
no 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM

62 posts, read 131,374 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that through two pages of responses to this post not one person has stated the obvious. Paducah, KY is now the National Headquarters of the Klu Klux Klan. That is why people are so openly racist in that city. I thought that everyone knew this fact.

Several years ago the KKK was almost dead, with Paducah virtually being the only place where people with that mindset could find sympathy. A white man, originally from California of all places, had been transplanted as a teenager to Chicago, Illinois by his parents. His brother was killed an african american gang in Chicago and he lost it. When he became an adult he heard about what remained of the KKK movement in Paducah KY and moved there. With his leadership they are now on the rise again with Paducah as their stronghold. I am surprised that ANY black people still even try to live there! So sad but so true.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
A lot of the racism in this country literally needs to "die".

Dang, well....... for a generation whose watch words were "Don't trust anybody over 30!" we are all in our sixties now. But, you are still right, yeah a lot of us worked against the war, and for womens rights, and equal rights-----a lot of us just mouthed the words and took advantage of the sexual revolution that was also going on at the same time. I suspect idiocy, in it's varied forms will always be with humanity. Our job is to speak up when we see it and not let them get away with that crap. Bigotry in any form should be unacceptable! If you don't confront it when it is happening in front of you, then, you, or anyone who does nothing to let the bigot know it is not acceptable behavior, are part of the problem. Nothing gets solved by ignoring it. And, Yes, sometimes it really does get scary.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
This thread is three years old LOL

Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 245,974 times
Mr.Authenticity,
I want you to site one single respectable source that tells me Paducah, Kentucky is the new hotbed of the KKK.

While I am not in any way trying to promote anything when I say this, the way I understand it, according to the History Channel, Louisville is actually the new National Headquarters of the KKK (I'd give you a link, but I'm not going to promote...yaknow?). And no one I know in Louisville wants to promote it either.

So please, let's get past this. Stop telling me how black you are, and I'll stop seeing it. Pay your bills, don't expect me to feed you or your children, and I don't give a crap if you're green.

The war is over. The slavery you reference does not exist anymore! (Although much slavery still does, all over the world. If you are interested in helping mankind, why the hell don't you stop whining, and help the people that are still REALLY enduring that same suffering today???)

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM

174 posts, read 327,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanteringBear View Post
I'd like to share my observations. Despite setbacks from time to time, I think, as a country, we have made great strides to root out a lot of hate and racism. Drawing upon my own experiences, the offenders (bigots) tend to be the older folks. A good example was the poster sharing the story of a seemingly "sweet little old lady" and her despicable utterance. A lot of the racism in this country literally needs to "die".
I agree with you. The worse kind are the bigots that muter under their breath just loud enough so the crowd around the can here them and they get the attention they want.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,860,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authenticity View Post
I can't believe that through two pages of responses to this post not one person has stated the obvious. Paducah, KY is now the National Headquarters of the Klu Klux Klan. That is why people are so openly racist in that city. I thought that everyone knew this fact.

Several years ago the KKK was almost dead, with Paducah virtually being the only place where people with that mindset could find sympathy. A white man, originally from California of all places, had been transplanted as a teenager to Chicago, Illinois by his parents. His brother was killed an african american gang in Chicago and he lost it. When he became an adult he heard about what remained of the KKK movement in Paducah KY and moved there. With his leadership they are now on the rise again with Paducah as their stronghold. I am surprised that ANY black people still even try to live there! So sad but so true.

Hardly, true, my sister and her family lived in rural Indiana outside of Indianapolis a few years ago and it was full of clan activity, much more than they had ever seen in Kentucky. There were pamphlets on grocery store counters about the Klan, flyers left on your car while you shopped or even parked at work. We never see any of that around here and don't really hear about Klan activity any more.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM

62 posts, read 131,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityDiva View Post

So please, let's get past this. Stop telling me how black you are, and I'll stop seeing it. Pay your bills, don't expect me to feed you or your children, and I don't give a crap if you're green.

The war is over. The slavery you reference does not exist anymore! (Although much slavery still does, all over the world. If you are interested in helping mankind, why the hell don't you stop whining, and help the people that are still REALLY enduring that same suffering today???)
To whomever wrote the above quote. I do not know you and you do not know me. There was nothing in my post that suggested that I was doing anymore than responding to this thread.

I will not even dignify your post by responding to your attempt to degrade and stereotype me with your derogatory comments as they say more about who you are than I ever could.

My response was based on a documentary I saw a few years ago in the middle of the night on either the discovery or history channel. I am ABSOLUTELY certain it was Paducah, KY. I remember it well because I spent part of my childhood in California and to see how someone was transformed like that was both amazing and sad (I could kind of relate to him in an odd way). And really, if a mixed race couple is being treated that poorly in this century ANYWHERE in America, my "specific reference" is nothing compared to their actual experience.

One more thing...With regards to slavery being over, it will and should never be forgotten. In the same way that the Jewish People will not let the world forget the Holocaust (and they shouldn't), the enslavement of African Americans earlier in this country's history will also never be forgotten. Sorry.

Your response seems rather hypersensitive, is it personal for you? You seem to be the only individual in this thread who has not moved on, whose small mind is still living in another era. I'm sorry for you. My you find peace somehow.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 245,974 times
Ouch. Ok, I was over the top, and you have my apologies. I reread my original post, and yes, I over-reacted to what was yet another stereotypical statement about Kentucky. While you and B'Bear really don't need to feel sorry for me, I will admit, everyone could use a little peace. Yes, I am an old lady. But I'm feeling relatively healthy, so if I were y'all, I wouldn't look for my opinions to disappear anytime soon.

It was your original quote, "Paducah, KY is now the National Headquarters of the Klu Klux Klan." that fueled my fire. I really believe making those sort of statements without documentation is just plain counter-productive. Site your source. Now that I understand you aren't from here, don't really know this area, and really have no idea where you heard what you repeated, it doesn't matter so much.

But FWIW, there are lots of people getting just plain weary with everything racial. We are after all, ALL Americans. And honestly, it's confusing to non-blacks. We're supposed to see color when it comes to hiring, but we're not supposed to see color when talking about crime or welfare. We're supposed to see color when shuffling our children around in schools, so everyone is even, but we're not supposed to see color when evaluating test scores. I recently saw an ad for a black dating site, blackpeoplemeet.com, and while I have abolutely no problem with that, can you imagine the outcry and social backlash that would result from a site named whitepeoplemeet.com?

I guess you were right, for me it is sort of personal. My heritage is Native American, and my ancestors suffered on the same level as the African American. Believe me, I'm not suggesting anyone forget anything. You can rest assured my grandchildren will know exactly what the Trail of Tears was. But the bottom line is, we ALL have to stop carrying this crap around with us everyday, if we ever expect to move forward as one nation. And that applies to both whites & blacks. Mr. Lincoln said it best, "A house divided against itself cannot stand." As we Americans move into our very uncertain future, it is more important now than ever. Any burden we can't lay down, will slow us down.

I'm sorry I snapped, and Happy Valentine's Day!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
racism

I have been told more than once that my mind works differently. Hummmmmm Paducah, Ky. Sounds interesting. I would almost wish that every state had one town where all the racists could go and live out their lives, would make it easier to know which areas to avoid.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,405 times
ok... I stumbled over this forum doing a search on the web, and just had to join once I read this post. Now before I express my opinion on the matter, keep in mind that I am a veteran of OIF1, a local police officer hopful (going through selection now), and i member of the kentucky national guard for 7 years now. I grew up in Nicholasville Ky, and have never lived in Paducha.

With that said, there is racism all over. I do not consider my self an exteremist, nor do I do anything to anyone of a different race, religion, or sexual preference to make them feel un-welcome in my area. Yes I disagree with mixed couples, no I don't try to make friends with homosexual's of either gender, and no I will not go to your church with you. This in alot of people's eye's makes me a racist.. and thats fine. There is more of a hispanic culture where I live in honest abe's birth place then anything thing else. Yes it gets tireing, always pressing 1 for english.

Everyone is always comenting that this is the new world and everyone need's to "get with the times". I think thats a load of BS. You might consider this "the new world" but look at what it is doing to america and decide if you like it. Some do some don't. But don't move to my area and expect everyone to suddenly accept your way of life.

I am all about preserving ones race, if I were black, I would be a racist black, if I were hispanic, I would be a racist hispanic, if I came from any other culture, I would be a racist from that culture. But I'm not, I am a white male and it is my right, and my choice to be proud to be white and get disgusted when ever I see mixed couples. It's the same for every race, there are racist from every back ground and skin color, but everyone make it sound like only the white people are racist. Is this because we will voice it out loud instead of sitting around the living room trying to keep it a secret? Most of "you people" need to "get with the times" and quit blaming someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky