U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: do you notice more racism in paducah,ky?
yes and how? 2 66.67%
no 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
 
898 posts, read 1,306,188 times
Reputation: 1007

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
ok... I stumbled over this forum doing a search on the web, and just had to join once I read this post. Now before I express my opinion on the matter, keep in mind that I am a veteran of OIF1, a local police officer hopful (going through selection now), and i member of the kentucky national guard for 7 years now. I grew up in Nicholasville Ky, and have never lived in Paducha.

With that said, there is racism all over. I do not consider my self an exteremist, nor do I do anything to anyone of a different race, religion, or sexual preference to make them feel un-welcome in my area. Yes I disagree with mixed couples, no I don't try to make friends with homosexual's of either gender, and no I will not go to your church with you. This in alot of people's eye's makes me a racist.. and thats fine. There is more of a hispanic culture where I live in honest abe's birth place then anything thing else. Yes it gets tireing, always pressing 1 for english.

Everyone is always comenting that this is the new world and everyone need's to "get with the times". I think thats a load of BS. You might consider this "the new world" but look at what it is doing to america and decide if you like it. Some do some don't. But don't move to my area and expect everyone to suddenly accept your way of life.

I am all about preserving ones race, if I were black, I would be a racist black, if I were hispanic, I would be a racist hispanic, if I came from any other culture, I would be a racist from that culture. But I'm not, I am a white male and it is my right, and my choice to be proud to be white and get disgusted when ever I see mixed couples. It's the same for every race, there are racist from every back ground and skin color, but everyone make it sound like only the white people are racist. Is this because we will voice it out loud instead of sitting around the living room trying to keep it a secret? Most of "you people" need to "get with the times" and quit blaming someone else.
Yup, that's the problem right there. You may have the law-given right to voice your opinion but you should have the decency and manners not to do it. It's none of your GD business who I or anyone else chooses to have sex with or marry and I say this to EVERYONE OF EVERY COLOR, CULTURE AND CREED because, you are right, black folks and hispanic folks and asians and you name its are all just as bad as white folks when it comes to being xenophobic. We come to this melting pot of a nation and refuse to mix together and all that makes us is a divided nation. Assimilation happens through the generations regardless though and that's the great thing because part of it (the part nobody wants to admit) is "race" mixing.

Understand this, assimilitation goes both ways. The immigrant adapts to his new environment by conforming but also by contributing. EVERYTHING that you consider "american" is a contribution from an immigrant culture. Apple pie? Dutch. Hot dogs? German. Sandwiches? England. Tobbaco? Mexico and Central America. Horses? Spain. Cowboys? Spain and Argentina. Modern Christmas? Different European nations and (oh, how I love the irony of this one) Mexico. Every single type of music has a foreign influence and, even rock n' roll which was invented here was invented by black people and if you trace its influences all the way back to the beginning, it originates with African music.

Sorry that pressing 1 is so trying for you but we, the immigrants, are doing no worse than your ancestors did when they immigrated into this land and started breaking the laws of the people who were already here the moment that they set foot on this soil.

Yeah, crime comes along with immigrants but it has come along with white immigrants (jewish mafia, italian mafia, russian mob, irish mob) just as much as it has come with brown skinned or slant eyed immigrants and black crime wasn't as much of a problem until the 20th century when their resources were slowly erroded away by white folks every time they tried to gain some equality. How can you quit blaming someone else when someone else is to blame? Invest in bringing in resources like education and jobs into the inner cities and you won't have to worry about black people committing crime.

On one thing we can agree though and that's the expectation of students of ANY "race". The expectation should definitely be the same but I don't want to derail the thread on the facts of fixing things through education.

Returning to my original point, there is nothing wrong with feeling the way that you feel but don't EVER think that you have the right to impose your way of life on me or anyone else. The problem is that, though there are people like you who think that it's okay to be able to voice your opinion, there are also people who think like you but also think that the moment that someone else voices (VOICES, mind you) an opposing view they have the right to take it a step further and take PHYSICAL action against them.

 
Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,409 times
Reputation: 15
WELCOME TO WHITE HISTORY MONTH! (or asian history month, hispanic history month, russian history month.. You get the point)

Be proud to be who you are, I will not take that away from anyone. You seem to be the typical response to what I have to say. I'm used to that, BUT you don't see blue bird's mating with red birds, to make purple birds.. You may not like my way of thinking, but I am glad to say, that I am not alone and WE will proven right.
 
Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,959,411 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
WELCOME TO WHITE HISTORY MONTH! (or asian history month, hispanic history month, russian history month.. You get the point)

Be proud to be who you are, I will not take that away from anyone. You seem to be the typical response to what I have to say. I'm used to that, BUT you don't see blue bird's mating with red birds, to make purple birds.. You may not like my way of thinking, but I am glad to say, that I am not alone and WE will proven right.
but you see black dogs mating with brown dogs all the time. and why does what goes on in the animal kingdom apply to us?
 
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
 
898 posts, read 1,306,188 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
WELCOME TO WHITE HISTORY MONTH! (or asian history month, hispanic history month, russian history month.. You get the point)

Be proud to be who you are, I will not take that away from anyone. You seem to be the typical response to what I have to say. I'm used to that, BUT you don't see blue bird's mating with red birds, to make purple birds.. You may not like my way of thinking, but I am glad to say, that I am not alone and WE will proven right.
You may not be alone but you are definitely not in the right on this one. Cultures and "races" mix all the time. Even your anglo saxon ancestors couldn't stop that. Even your white, AMERICAN, slave-owning ancestors, male and female, couldn't help but go down to the slave quarters and get themselves some "strange". Why do you think they had the "one drop rule" (http://http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jefferson/mixed/onedrop.html - broken link)? Because you hypocrites can't even admit to yourselves that there is nothing wrong with "race" mixing so you had to hide the fact that those lighter slaves were your own children. Funny thing is that, supposedly, black slaves were supposed to be subhuman so that means that, by your ancestors' logic, they were committing beastiality.
 
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,655 posts, read 33,488,749 times
Reputation: 32383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
WELCOME TO WHITE HISTORY MONTH! (or asian history month, hispanic history month, russian history month.. You get the point)

Be proud to be who you are, I will not take that away from anyone. You seem to be the typical response to what I have to say. I'm used to that, BUT you don't see blue bird's mating with red birds, to make purple birds.. You may not like my way of thinking, but I am glad to say, that I am not alone and WE will proven right.
You want to tell that to my cousin who is also in the Army and has done a couple of tours in Iraq and married to a white woman (i'm black)?

Okay, I get your point, race-mixing is bad. Look at some of the horrid people that have been born because of race-mixing. Alicia Keys, Jordin Sparks, Halle Berry, Ann Curry, Soledad O'Brien, and Barack Obama (I totally disagree with his polticial views and voted for Bob Barr but still, president of the US deserves some serious respect). If that is the horror that race-mixing is gonna bring us, we must stop NOW!!!!!!
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,409 times
Reputation: 15
I find it funny how everytime there is a conversation about racism or racist people, slavery is brought up.. There was Irish slave's (my ancestors) in america LONG before there was any african slaves here... But that is anoth topic all together. Everyone of every race that comes to america is always talking about how they want EQUALITY but what they are getting is way more then that. Though no race will ever be equal to that of ones self, you can't change people's hearts and minds. This country was founded by great men of different nations, and molded into what is now north america, But even they would roll over in their graves if they saw what it was turnning into.

Mix breeding is a pathetic thing, and often "the easy way out" for people that can not be excepted by their own race. Everyone knows that there will be no minds changed on the subject, so I will say this in closing.

I have nothing against "other people" wanting to be equal, in wealth, benefits, oppertunity, or any such things of that nature. But quit bitching about what your not getting and look at what you are getting. I don't see any support groups out there to help the poor kids from the mountains grow up and get a good education. and even if there is, it's not announced on the news every other day.
 
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,959,411 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
I find it funny how everytime there is a conversation about racism or racist people, slavery is brought up.. There was Irish slave's (my ancestors) in america LONG before there was any african slaves here...
ummmm, not really. and the fact that it was long before says something. there was a mix of indentured servitude and some enslavement of whites and natives americans before the system completely became reliant on the african slave trade. around the time the idea of "whiteness" was created.

slavery is only relevant when discussing how ones ancestors got to this country. fact is, the vast majority of irish immigrated on their own and were never enslaved, while the vast majority of blacks were brought as slaves. this is simply historical fact, and doesnt necessarily relate to anything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
But that is anoth topic all together. Everyone of every race that comes to america is always talking about how they want EQUALITY but what they are getting is way more then that. Though no race will ever be equal to that of ones self, you can't change people's hearts and minds. This country was founded by great men of different nations, and molded into what is now north america, But even they would roll over in their graves if they saw what it was turnning into..
that was a super vague statement based upon nothing. what groups exactly that are "coming here" are getting more than equality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
Mix breeding is a pathetic thing, and often "the easy way out" for people that can not be excepted by their own race. Everyone knows that there will be no minds changed on the subject, so I will say this in closing.
first off, calling it "mix-breeding" is stupid, because it suggests genetic differences that simply arent there. second, there are plenty of folks perfectly (im assuming by "expected" you meant "accepted") accepted by their race who have interracial relationships. i can site family members of this. perhaps someone simply finds a suitable partner that is of a different racial background. why should that be seen as "the easy way out", unless there are requirements to find a partner of the same race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
I have nothing against "other people" wanting to be equal, in wealth, benefits, oppertunity, or any such things of that nature. But quit bitching about what your not getting and look at what you are getting. I don't see any support groups out there to help the poor kids from the mountains grow up and get a good education. and even if there is, it's not announced on the news every other day.
there is, and theyre on the news quite a bit. ever heard of diane sawyer? in fact, during the first "war on poverty" the appalachian region was specifically highlighted.

but im not sure who specifically is "bitching about what theyre not getting" as you havent specifically stated that.
 
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
 
898 posts, read 1,306,188 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
I find it funny how everytime there is a conversation about racism or racist people, slavery is brought up.. There was Irish slave's (my ancestors) in america LONG before there was any african slaves here... But that is anoth topic all together. Everyone of every race that comes to america is always talking about how they want EQUALITY but what they are getting is way more then that. Though no race will ever be equal to that of ones self, you can't change people's hearts and minds. This country was founded by great men of different nations, and molded into what is now north america, But even they would roll over in their graves if they saw what it was turnning into.
What's it turning into?

Quote:
Mix breeding is a pathetic thing, and often "the easy way out" for people that can not be excepted by their own race. Everyone knows that there will be no minds changed on the subject, so I will say this in closing.

I have nothing against "other people" wanting to be equal, in wealth, benefits, oppertunity, or any such things of that nature. But quit bitching about what your not getting and look at what you are getting. I don't see any support groups out there to help the poor kids from the mountains grow up and get a good education. and even if there is, it's not announced on the news every other day
I love how people love to do this double talk about how people who "mix" with other "races" do so because they have no pride in theirs and how that's pathetic. To me it's more pathetic to have no individual accomplishments of your own and rely on the color of your skin as a source of pride. The people who spew hate the way that you do are usually the losers of our society who are mad at the world because they've accomplished nothing and come up with excuses for their personal failure. When they're minorities, they blame it on you white people and when they're white people they blame it on us minorities. I'm surprised that you even have this opinion considering your background with the armed forces and I definitely would not want to have you patrolling the steets where I live considering that "mixed" couples "make you sick". Seriously, if you're so secure in what you are and how you do things then why does it bother you so much when someone else does things differently as long as it doesn't interfere with your life? If you're so proud of yourself, as you state that you are, then why do you give a damn about me and mine? Man, I pitty the folks in your town who come accross you when you're on duty if you ever do become a cop. I only hope it your attitude is noticed during your evaluation and you get denied the job because, if you don't, I'm sure I'll be seeing you on the news in a few years when you abuse your power and mistreat someone else based on the color of their skin.

As far as "the easy way out" comment; do you really think that it's easy when there's bigots like you in every culture out there? Do you think it's easy for a jewish person to marry a gentile when they are treated as outsiders for doing so? Do you think it's easy for a hispanic person to be married to someone from another culture when they have relatives that feel the way that you feel even at a small degree and they show it by doing disrespectful things such as speaking spanish when they know the newcomer doesn't speak it? I can go on with examples but it doesn't matter because you've already stated that you won't change your mind on the matter and that's just sad.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,132 times
Reputation: 11
Use to live in KY now in AZ. Huge difference in racism from KY to here in AZ. It doesn't seem to exist as much here. I think because there are so many people from all over the world who live here and have lived here for generations. We are moving back to KY end of the month and I'm concerned because before we left KY 4 yrs ago we adopted 3 biracial children from foster care system there and 2 of the darker kids really had a hard time starting out in school there because the white kids called names threw things etc. I wish everyone would grow up and realize we are all the human race period!
 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
 
332 posts, read 566,404 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
My husband is black and i am white. i have never encountred such racism of all kinds like i have in paducah,ky.does ayone else live ther of any color and experienced this? it, amazing to me to hear a sweet little lady use the "N" word.
Most Black people themselves use the N-word on a daily basis. I went to a predominantly Black high school and I have heard the "N" word being said so many times that I lost count. And don't even get me started on the rappers. Pop in a a 50 Cent or an N.W.A album for example, and count how many times you hear the "N" word being said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top