U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you notice more racism in paducah,ky?
yes and how? 2 66.67%
no 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:01 PM

11 posts, read 42,056 times

Advertisements

My husband is black and i am white. i have never encountred such racism of all kinds like i have in paducah,ky.does ayone else live ther of any color and experienced this? it, amazing to me to hear a sweet little lady use the "N" word. apparently i don't fit their "sterotype of a white woman with a black man so they feel free to say whatever comes to mind. it's just more than i can understand. where i work, i've actually had white adults step right in front of black customers like they weren't even there. which i refuse to acknowledge them until im through with my current customer, and these people just don't get it. if anyone else lives in paducah,ky id like to hear your opinion on this.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Thumbs down Racism In Paducah

YES,YES,YES

Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,473 times
Default Re: do you notice more racism in paducah,ky?

Racism, its all over the world in all communities. Some turn their head and pretend that they are not racist, but deep down you know they are. I am Cherokee, and some ppl look at me as tho I am strange. They act like their God is better than mine. They act like their way to heaven is the only way to heaven. If you don't dress like they do and act like they do, they don't want any friendship with you. You have to kneel down and kiss their feet to get along with them.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 AM

341 posts, read 1,368,578 times
Some places just haven't caught up with the modern world. And may never.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM

47 posts, read 260,585 times
This is scary, really.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackien View Post
Racism, its all over the world in all communities. Some turn their head and pretend that they are not racist, but deep down you know they are. I am Cherokee, and some ppl look at me as tho I am strange. They act like their God is better than mine. They act like their way to heaven is the only way to heaven. If you don't dress like they do and act like they do, they don't want any friendship with you. You have to kneel down and kiss their feet to get along with them.
Thank you.I wish things would change but I don't think it ever will.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 AM

10 posts, read 29,517 times
I'm not from Paducah but I'm from a small town close to it. I personally didn't see a lot of racism when I lived there, but it could be different in that small town. Also it's not a fair call for me to make because I'm white. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that.

People use the whole "bible belt" excuse for things like this, but any good Christian knows that they are not supposed to act like that. Even when they try to justify their reactions over interracial couples it's still very wrong because it is against the Christian ways to judge a person (not our call to judge people for anything).

I wish people would grow up and mind their own business. In the mean time I wish they'd do like my parents did and teach their children to respect everyone regardless of their race or any other trait that could catagorize them. Really in my house it wasn't even about teaching to repect all races. I didn't even know there were derogatory terms until I was halfway through elementary school and heard it from the mouth of other adults.

LOL I was definetly a lover not a fighter. There's a recording of me when I was little where I even defended corn flies because "they're my friends." LOL What a goof I was.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 AM

140 posts, read 494,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedfromKY View Post
I'm not from Paducah but I'm from a small town close to it. I personally didn't see a lot of racism when I lived there, but it could be different in that small town. Also it's not a fair call for me to make because I'm white. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that.

People use the whole "bible belt" excuse for things like this, but any good Christian knows that they are not supposed to act like that. Even when they try to justify their reactions over interracial couples it's still very wrong because it is against the Christian ways to judge a person (not our call to judge people for anything).

I wish people would grow up and mind their own business. In the mean time I wish they'd do like my parents did and teach their children to respect everyone regardless of their race or any other trait that could catagorize them. Really in my house it wasn't even about teaching to repect all races. I didn't even know there were derogatory terms until I was halfway through elementary school and heard it from the mouth of other adults.

LOL I was definetly a lover not a fighter. There's a recording of me when I was little where I even defended corn flies because "they're my friends." LOL What a goof I was.

You weren't a goof, you were just a good kid. A kind, sensitive kid like most children are. For the life of me, I wish we could adopt children's philosophies of liking people for who they are, not what they look like. It still shocks me to this day that it's 2007 and we're still dealing with old-world racism like it's the 19th century. Being a Black person, I have been slapped in the face by very subtle, very polite racism, and I think that hurts more than if someone did it maliciously. How do you get angry with someone who smiles at you like an old friend, and then says something totally racist? Are they not aware of it? They must be. Right....?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 159,887 times
I'd like to share my observations. Despite setbacks from time to time, I think, as a country, we have made great strides to root out a lot of hate and racism. Drawing upon my own experiences, the offenders (bigots) tend to be the older folks. A good example was the poster sharing the story of a seemingly "sweet little old lady" and her despicable utterance. A lot of the racism in this country literally needs to "die".

Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 PM

27 posts, read 184,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanteringBear View Post
I'd like to share my observations. Despite setbacks from time to time, I think, as a country, we have made great strides to root out a lot of hate and racism. Drawing upon my own experiences, the offenders (bigots) tend to be the older folks. A good example was the poster sharing the story of a seemingly "sweet little old lady" and her despicable utterance. A lot of the racism in this country literally needs to "die".
a harsh reality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky