U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,898,902 times

Advertisements

Seems like TN and NC are so much more popular.

Why is Ky overlooked?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 11,906 times
Not to strike a nerve with any who live there,but in my research so far it seems like high paying employment is an issue.Still a great place though.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM

452 posts, read 1,641,981 times
This topic brings to mind one of my favorite quips, attributed to Samuel Clemens of Mark Twain renown : "When I die, I want to die in Kentucky. Everything there happens 20 years later than it should."

Kentucky seems to suffer from a perception that not much happens there. That image doesn't bother me any, since I've always liked it just like it is. Somehow, rightly or not, North Carolina and Tennessee have acquired an image as hip, happening places to be in the South. Perhaps this means they'll get the lion's share of the population increases--and the ills that accompany such increases--and leave Kentucky to go on its merry way. One can only hope.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:49 PM

384 posts, read 1,417,230 times
ITS our secret and its hard to get the word out?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 22,560 times
I agree with all three responses. When we researched states to relocate to NC was on our final list to fly to and check out. It turned out that KY made the arrangements first and we never made it to NC as we fell in love with KY. I do think that NC promotes itself a bit more and lends that message of beauty and charm, it even comes across this way in books. Not sure about TN we now live on the border but never gave it a thought especially with the sales tax and property tax rates.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 AM

30 posts, read 143,825 times
Kentucky is still considered a "hick" state. Kentucky is usually the butt of many imbreed jokes. That is what is wrong with it. As they have said, it is behind the times and there is not much publicity. Yes it is the home of the Kentucky Derby but that is the only time that it gets any attention. However it should because it has the largest Cave System in the world, that is the coolest thing about Kentucky in my opinion lol.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 18,869,169 times
Kentucky doesn't have the type of tourist attractions that Tennessee has nor beaches but is a wonderful state none the less. We have so much to offer that other states do but we don't build it up enough I suppose.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 AM

76 posts, read 325,443 times
Please don't build it up!!!! lol! I am coming down tomorrow from NY tomorrow and I hope no one up here finds out. Everyone on Long Island found out about Port. St Lucie is Florida and now it is more like Long Island down there. Now the new trend up here is to move to North Carolina. I do not want to move some where that will be filled with people from where I am from now. It seems to be that just ruins areas. I do love Long Island, please no one take offense but people here just don't know how to live. They flock to new states togetehr in hope for something different but they are moving to the same surroundings with the same people. I am so glad that when I say I am visiting Kentucky that people look at me weird and say WHY?????? I smile inside and say "Oh, just visiting." I am glad that I picked something out of the "trend" because I want to live somewhere genuine and much safer than here.

On this board people talk about crime and sometimes gangs. Here on Long Island there is so much crime and gang problems that it is ridiculous. Some peopel think living here is something upscale or so. You have Hispanics hating each other because one is From El Salvador and one is from Puerto Rico and using machetes to get their point across and their initiations involve slashing innocent people int he face or stabbing them 10 times and you have black people hating each other for territory issues that no one fully understands and then you have all the white drunks and drugies walking the streets. It is constant and everyone sees it but everyone refuses to deny it because we have to make up beautiful fantasies in our heads as to why we pay $9,000 in property taxes every year, and yes, that is the average. Yeah, we have beaches and skiiing upstate and ...and....and....get the point? You can't walk around here at night...PERIOD!!! Many, many people here live in poverty...I am sure many more people than in KY. It is so horrible that people are buying homes here for $350,000 (and that is for a small ranch) and paying $9,000 yearly in property taxes and then a year later getting their home taken away because they couldn't afford it. These are people making almost six figure salaries but how many people can actually afford this????? Then the houses turn into boarded up slums that bums live in.

Trust me Kentuckians, you do not want all of these crazy people moving into your beautiful state!!!!! And for the most part, people who do choose Kentucky do so because they want a beautiful community for their children to grow up in or they want to live in the middle of beautiful scenery. Or they want just a tad bit slower pace of life. They just want to live in a god, nice place. The reason so many people move to NC and FL is because real estate is cheaper ...THAT'S IT!!! And that is definately not the type of people you want living around. I hope I did not offend anyone but I definately got that one off of my chest!!

By the way, I received a job offer in Louisville that pays me $10,000 more than here on Long Island...go figure!! Employment does not look so bad to me in KY!!

Last edited by ler0719; 05-24-2007 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM

23 posts, read 93,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraDee View Post
Kentucky is still considered a "hick" state. Kentucky is usually the butt of many imbreed jokes. That is what is wrong with it. As they have said, it is behind the times and there is not much publicity. Yes it is the home of the Kentucky Derby but that is the only time that it gets any attention. However it should because it has the largest Cave System in the world, that is the coolest thing about Kentucky in my opinion lol.
I found your post interesting because I'm moving to KY from AL and when I tell people I'm moving to L'ville they seem to be envious. I guess that's because it's AL. ha ha Maybe it's a local thing but all the inbred jokes I've heard are about AL. I'm looking forward to coming to KY. It's a beautiful state (well except for the smut billboards getting there in one area) and there seems to be alot to do in and around L'ville.

Additionally, I agree w/ler0719 about big city problems. Who needs it.

Last edited by deb12; 05-24-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: insert text

Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,079,460 times
Actually, I believe The folks in Kentucky promeote that "hick" image to keep everyone else from seeing how beautiful and friendly the state REALLY is. That way all the rest of us won't move in and spoil it... I'd never been in the KY(other than passing thru) before we ended up in OH. Had I known how nice KY is, I'd definitely looked at Louisville and Northern KY before making my final choice. I really think KY offers a LOT! (If you don't believe anything happens in KY, sit at the top of the "Cut in the Hill" on I-75 Northbound when it's raining...) Seriously, Louisville atrracts lots of great entertainment acts and has good employment prospects, from what I can see just by the businesses I pass driving around on the freeways, Northern KY has a lot happening in Covington and other places, there's some great distilleries in the state and it sure has PLENTY of natural beauty!

Sorry, ler0719, I shoulda read your post first; you said it better'n I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky